Well, I've got a new pedal board, and have been having a hard time with interference from my power source (but that's that's an unrelated issue which I'll remedy over the next week or so).

On to the issue at hand: I have already done a few of the usual organization things--placed my wah and envelope filter before my preamp; placed my digital delay/loop at the very end of the pedal chain, etc. What I'm looking for here is some advice on organizing the modulation effects that will make up the middle section of my pedal board. All tips and tricks are welcome. I'm a bass player and this is for a bass rig so keep that in mind, if it somehow affects things in some way I haven't conceived.

Mod pedals I will definately incorporate:
slow gear clone ( I currently follow this immediately with a reverb pedal to simulate slower decay)
tremolo
bass chorus

mod pedals I am considering including (the cheap ones I own just suck my tone a bit too much):
flanger
phaser

I also have a BBE maxcom on which I only want to use one channel, but I thought compression should go at the front of my loop while the sonic maximizer should go at the very end. Any advice on how I should include this into my set up?

Most of the time while playing I'll just have a single effect engaged, but I'm asking for tips because I do occasionally like to heavily layer them for ambient passages, interesting sound effects, and other crazy stuff.

Obviously I'll be trying many combinations on my own over the next few weeks to see what I personally think is best. I just thought it would help to hear about any neat arrangements other UGers had experimented with.

Thanks!
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jul 27, 2008,
Hmm. I doubt that I will be any help on this issue because I use a PODXt Live which basically takes the guesswork out. I also have hardly messed with any modulation chains before, but I can give advice for the overall chain. I read in a magazine (Guitar Player. I recommend a subscription to it.) of how you are supposed to arrange your pedals to achieve quality tone. You're supposed to start with filters first, compressors next, distortion and overdrive, modulation, volume, then delay and reverb. Like I said, this may not be much help. I also recommend experimenting with putting modulation effects before the wah pedal to create some wicked effects.
Quote by Disturbed137
Hmm. I doubt that I will be any help on this issue because I use a PODXt Live which basically takes the guesswork out. I also have hardly messed with any modulation chains before, but I can give advice for the overall chain. I read in a magazine (Guitar Player. I recommend a subscription to it.) of how you are supposed to arrange your pedals to achieve quality tone. You're supposed to start with filters first, compressors next, distortion and overdrive, modulation, volume, then delay and reverb. Like I said, this may not be much help. I also recommend experimenting with putting modulation effects before the wah pedal to create some wicked effects.

thanks for the input, like I said above, I already have the overall order figured out with my wah/fuzz before my preamp (overdrive) followed by modulation, then delay. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any sweet modulation combos in mind that I could create by arranging mine in a specific order.

I do have that dillemma of putting the BBE's compressor before the rest of the effects in my loop or putting it after to get the best use of the sonic maximizer. Anyone's take on this would be appreciated.