Hey guys i've got a tough gear decision to make.

After much fuzz hunting for that early Gilmourish tone you hear on Pompeii through WYWH, I have come down to two (well maybe three but these two are on the top of my list.)

Monsterpiece NPN (has BC108s)- $90 used
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Monsterpiece+Fuzz/NPN+Fuzz/10/1
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1778565

Fox Rox Hot Silicon (has BC109's)- $186 new
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCQcw7gDJc&feature=related

Obviously one is alot cheaper but I want to know if anyone thinks the later is worth the extra money. I plan on getting best possible fuzz unit for my needs and these two seem to have great reviews. The soundclips are quite good as well especially the Fox Rox clips. Tough I haven't heard as much of the Monsterpiece.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jul 27, 2008,
When roaming around the HC forums, I heard nothing but great things about the Monsterpiece fuzzes. Haven't tried one personally but I heard some great clips and pics of the step by step process of each batch the guy built. I wouldn't be worried about quality or sound at all. I say go for it and save 90 bucks and use that towards something nice.
Go for the Monsterpiece. You'll be getting a fuzz that I'm sure you'll be satisfied with, and you can save $96 in the process. What's the worst that can happen? If you don't like it, sell it for what you bought it for and buy the Foxrox.

Also, the transistors are in sockets, so if you really wanted to try BC109, you could just buy two of them and switch them in.

I'll make a clip of the Monsterpiece and get it to you today.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I love the sound of that foxrox hot silicon fuzz. Does anyone know where I can get one, I live near Toronto.
^I believe you can order them online right from www.foxroxelectronics.com
The soundclips of this pedal never cease to amaze me.

And BD thanks for making clips, you don't have to get them done by today if it's too much trouble. They're most likely gonna be one of the key decided factors in this.

acdcrocks0323 you make a good point, from the gut shots I just can't understand what the difference is between the Fox Rox and Monsterpiece except for different transistors. Quality wise and from user reviews I'm at a loss at to where this price difference comes from.

The Monsterpiece is looking better and better actually.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

OK so I had decided on the MKII/NPN right now but the user sent me a picture of the pedal and it looked a bit odd.

If any of you guys have seen a Monsterpiece pedal you'll see that it's painted some sort of solid color and has "Monsterpiece" written on it as well as the type of fuzz pedal in the circuit. Like on this one, it would say "NPN and MKII" on the pedal.

The sellers pedal was all black with no lettering or graphics, just solid metallic grey with boss type knobs.

The builder said some pedals could be custom ordered that way but the picture of the pedal was removed before I could show it to the builder.

It's a bit questionable though everything else seems legit, though the single NPN offer is looking rather good.

^^Yeah, some of them are custom made. Just ask for a picture of the insides/wiring. Monsterpiece fuzzes have the cleanest wiring I have ever seen, it'd be hard to duplicate. They also have a serial number and are signed by the builder on the inside of the backplate.

Here's mine:
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by BrainDamage
^^Yeah, some of them are custom made. Just ask for a picture of the insides/wiring. Monsterpiece fuzzes have the cleanest wiring I have ever seen, it'd be hard to duplicate. They also have a serial number and are signed by the builder on the inside of the backplate.

Here's mine:

That's a work of art...

I'll send him a PM asking for thr insides and a backplate then.