hey everybody. title is pretty self explainatory. ive been playing on a squier affinity strat and a frontman 15g. just the fender starter thingie. birthdays coming up in a couple of weeks so ive just been tryin to figure out if i wanna get a new guitar or an amp or iff theres an option that i could get both but not be too expensive. I dont know a budget yet but all suggestions are good and appreciated. From what ive heard almost anything is an upgrade from what i got goin on now. and its not really that worth it to upgrade my pups and stuff... anyways... suggestions? I play mostly rock and metal. metallica, to led zepplin, to iron maiden etc.
epiphone g-400
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
Get a Roland Cube (Microcube, Cube 20, Cube 30 ). Very versatile, good on a budget. If you can spend a bit more, or if you're playing with a band/gigging, go for a tube amp, like the Crate Palomino series, or (though cheaper) an Epiphone Valve Jr with a EQ pedal and if you need it, an OD pedal.

EDIT: In any case, upgrading your amp is the first thing you should do. A great guitar will more likely then not sound worse then a okay guitar with a good amp. And no, buying a pedal will probably not help your amp much. Most people try to just get a pedal instead of a new amp, and it usually doesn't turn out well.

EDIT2: Avoid Spider 3's and Marshall MG's, since it isn't really an 'upgrade', it's more the equivalent of adding some built in effects to what you already have, tone-wise.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Jul 28, 2008,
the best upgrade for sound you can get is a new amp. if you can't spend a ton (less then 300) go for a marshall mg30 or a line 6 spider 3. both are powerful and will sound quite good, for around 250$-300$

a micro cube is useful, because its battery powered and portable, but it won't be an upgrade in sound.
wow that was incredibly quick response. thanks guys. from the looks of it you guys want me to upgrade my amp first and guitar later if at all. so now for amp comparisons. ive heard a lot of good things about the microcube. how does that compare to the line6 or epi valve jr? in you guys op. cuz i havnt ever touched any of those.
The Epi Valve Jr is the "starter" tube amp, it helps you get a feel on how the larger tube amps work. It is known for it's classic rock tone, and it's simplicity in use (to distort, just turn it up). It responds well to overdrive pedals, such as the Ibanez Tubescreamer (a personal favorite), and Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive. I suggest a Equalizer pedal with it so that you can learn how to work one. It isn't an end-all amp (in it's stock form at least), so if you ever upgrade, you will know how to work the equalizer. Though, UG does have an excellent Epi Valve Jr mod thread, all you have to do is use the search bar.

The Line 6 Spider 3 is a very digital sounding amp. It doesn't respond well to using pedals, especially distortion and overdrive. Line6 builds these amps with such high wattage because turning them up loud gives you a very harsh distorted tone, as apposed to tube amps, which are built to overdrive into a very smooth, rich tone. It's a general idea to upgrade to a tube amp, because of their organic tone.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
alright. guess im lookin at tubes. so i will have to buy pedals if i get a valve? or do some of them come with distortion/reverb/ other efects?
It depends on the amp. Many tube amps come with spring reverb, though not really with built in effects. Fender does a lot of tube amps with one or two effects, like chorus and reverb, or tremolo and reverb. Though the Valve Jr. does not, many tube amps also have 2 channels, a clean channel, and a channel with a gain control. Turning up the gain can make you amp overdrive at lower volumes, but it can also make your master volume 'touchy'. It'll jump from semi-quiet to really loud when you start to turn it up more. Oh, and sorry for all the editing, I'm sort of adding things as afterthoughts. Hope that helps!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Hey man dont worry about all the edits. i barely even notice em and youve given great advice. now i have a way better idea of what to look for.

Next stop i wanna ask about the guitar if its not too much trouble. ive been reading around and most threads say that its not worth upgrading the squier strat cuz it wont change the tone and stuff much cause of the material. i also read that affinity strats are made of alder. so would me changing out for better pickups be an alternative to a new guitar? if i did id want a humbucker in the bridge. other than that i dont know if i would upgrade the other singles. the only problem with them is that they buzz. all the time. only in the two "humbucker imitator" positions on the 5 way does it not buzz so loudly. ive never noticed it before. and sorry about asking so many questions. you just seem to know your stuff and im glad someone as expd as you found me. so thanks again.

EDIT: Also to help with the guitar thing. if i should just replace then whats best for (again) mostly rock/metal/shred. ive been playing about a year. i got the 3 string sweeps down really well and im medium on 5 strings. just finishing fear of the dark solo. based on my skill level is it worth upgrading? From previous feedback the amp is already gonna be upgraded.
Last edited by nolifeXD at Jul 28, 2008,
what's your budget? i know it's gonna be a birthday gift and you're not sure but if you give some kind of range we might be able to help you a bit more.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
well.... to be safe im gonna go around 500 bucks since i usually dont go too over the top with things like this... plus i can throw in some of my own cash... even though thats in short supply so maybe 650 if im lucky. 660 if i sell my soul to the devil.
I'm not as informed on different pickups as I am on amps, but one suggestion would be Dimarzio Evo or Breed pickups if you want humbuckers, or Seymour Duncan Hot Rails if you want single coil sized humbuckers (to avoid routing your pickguard).

Squier Affinty guitars in general are easy(-ish) to mod, since they already have good necks, decent body wood, and an HSH route under the pickguard. I wouldn't suggest modding until you have a backup guitar though. Ibanez, Jackson, (higher end) Dean and B.C.Rich, ESP, and (semi-higher end) Washburns all make great shred guitars.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
so it wouldnt be a good idea even if i took it into a shop to get it done?
Will that budget be for both guitar and amp? Or just amp?

As an additional note, many shredders use the amp's built in distortion, and boost it with a overdrive pedal (or in some cases, a [sometimes modded] Boss DS-1, because of its smooth tone).

EDIT: Sorry, but yes you can take it to a shop. I'm an idiot (it slipped my mind).

EDIT2: Are you playing alone, or with a band (drummer)?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
yeah probably for both. i might get money from my family members too but theyre halfway around the world soo.... not likely to be alot or to be coming soon
are you willing to go used?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
possibly. im not real expd with that kind of thing but yeah i guess i could go used. im sure i can play it by ear reasonably well. just enlist some salesperson help etc. and i should be fine?

Edit: Sorry acoustic yea its just a practice amp. no drummer
Well, you could get a Crate V Series 18w. It was the amp I was going to get before settling on my Crate VC3112 (which is also a great amp, but it was sold back in '94, sort of hard to find now). Not the best tone, but also not too much to complain about. My only complaint was that it didn't have an effects loop, while my original amp (a Tech21 Trademark 10 I was borrowing from a friend) did. Musician's Friends has it for 330, but you can probably find it cheaper at a local store. Or get the Epi Valve Jr and a decent Overdrive pedal, like a Tubescreamer. That would leave 300-400 for the guitar.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
aright. ill go take a look. however, assuming that thers only gonna be about 3-400 $ left for a guitar then what suggestions do you have based on the brands you gave me earlier? one of my best friends has a schecter he seems to like it. ibanez ive heard is only good at mid-upper end models and i dont know much about the rest.
Whose tone (artist) do you like/want? That would help a bit.

EDIT: The Ibanez RG350DX or RG350EX are both good intermediate (step-up) guitars. The only difference between the two is the switching of the neck and bridge pickup (though I'm not sure exactly how different the two guitars' tones are). The only thing to worry about is the Edge 3 bridge, which is one of the lower Floyd Rose nock-offs. Unless you really do a lot of dive bombs and such, it shouldn't have too many problems.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
anything from led zep to heavier metal like metallica. Iron Maiden is good too
Well, I think the RG would be good for you then. I use a Dean Avalanche Strat copy (HH) to get Zeppelin and Iron Maiden tones out of my Crate. One thing you can do to diversify your tone is to flip your bridge pickup, so that the bass side is under the top three strings. It doesn't do much to your distorted tone when using it alone, but it puts the second position out of phase with the middle pickup, and gives it a more single coil-ish tone when you're playing clean.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
thanks a million man. ima get all this stuff down and maybe today i can hop over to gc or something and see about these.
While you're there, feel free to try out other guitars as well. IF you find one that really cries "buy me, buy me!", feels great, and sounds great, (and is in price range), buy it! That's how I got my twelve string and amp. In any case, good luck!

Pm me later on how it goes!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
well if you MUST have a whammy bar go for a used ibanez rg550 or rg570. try some local pawn shops. the come with the original Edge tremolo which some argue that it is even better than the original floyd rose. if you want to go for that, just make sure it's and original edge and and NOT a Lo-TRS.
http://www.lawl.net/gtr/trems
this is the link to give you better info on ibanez trems. pay close attention to the design of each tremolo, that way, assuming you decide to go for the rg550/rg570 you don't get ripped.
and since you don't have a band, a blackheart little giant, or the epiphone valve jr. should be a great beginner "tube amp"

other than that, let me brainstorm a bit here, see what i can come up with
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Alright man thanks to you too. I looked at the RGs on GC.com and it said that the ones witout a trem are more xpensive than the ones with? like the first one i looked at was like 800 bucks so i was like no. xD

EDIT: NEver mind.. Im an idiot. If i go with RG ill probably go with no trem or something.

EDIT2: THanks again somebodysomeone. that article was really helpful. good info.
Last edited by nolifeXD at Jul 28, 2008,