So im 15, I know every note on my guitar, blues, chromatic, Dominished 7ths, Dominant 7ths, Harmonic Minor, Major, Major Arpeggio, Melodic Minor ascending and decending, minor, pentatonic, whole tone-UGH...alot of scales...and alots of chords. but it seems i still have so much to learn. I want to make my guitar solos more amazing every times i get better. I really want to know how to master this art.
If it is attatched to an amp and doesnt go shred...what...what the hell is it?? Eww..
learn the blues. no one gives a **** in the world if you know all the theory there is if you cant make something sound good. and no one cares how old you are.
Quote by Merciless_Nasty
So im 15, I know every note on my guitar, blues, chromatic, Dominished 7ths, Dominant 7ths, Harmonic Minor, Major, Major Arpeggio, Melodic Minor ascending and decending, minor, pentatonic, whole tone-UGH...alot of scales...and alots of chords. but it seems i still have so much to learn. I want to make my guitar solos more amazing every times i get better. I really want to know how to master this art.

use your ears as well as your knowledge.

I don't think any of us have "mastered" the art, so I don't think you can get any valid advice there.

Just keep learning, playing, and most importantly enjoying music.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
I don't think any of us have "mastered" the art, so I don't think you can get any valid advice there.

Really, I don't think anyone has or will.

TS, have you learned thoroughly everything that you mentioned? Because there's a helluva lot more than just 'learning' things. Have you applied? Have you gone in depth with everything you know? Then there is the experience, which you'll only learn with time. I'm on this never ending journey, loving every minute of it.

Quote by shtiming
learn the blues. no one gives a **** in the world if you know all the theory there is if you cant make something sound good. and no one cares how old you are.

I disagree. Learn phrasing instead, because blues isn't the only genre with phrasing and 'emotion' (yes I am aware of the music has no emotion fact.)
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Jul 28, 2008,
i shouldve have said roots music. if you trace the music you listen to, you'll eventually wind up with the roots music, and the start learning.

EDIT: I also hate it when people use the word music and emotion or feeling in the same sentance. Phrasing is a much better word.
Of course i integrate all of what Ive learned into my songs. I mean, it makes my songs...but im trying to learn *cough apply/experience as much as i can
If it is attatched to an amp and doesnt go shred...what...what the hell is it?? Eww..
There is no way you can master theory. That's why it's called theory. It's not music law. It's nothing definite. It's a set of guidelines laid down by experienced musicians, in order to aid them in their playing. =)

Cheers.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Well now that you say you have learned almost all the theory there is... Now you have to forget it all open up your ears and make music that sounds good. It doesn't matter if you can spell me a Gb fully diminished chord you should get out of the bedroom and play with people that is how you will learn.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
play with people that is how you will learn.

Golden words.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
There is always more theory. It is nothing more than the observations of musicians throughout time laying down their thoughts and ideas on this beautiful art.

Id say start making your own observations about what works and why. Build your own theories and be interested in the ideas of others by trying to find some value in them all.
Si
Start looking at cadences in theory. This will really help you with your composition and it's very practical stuff. From there you should know yourself which direction you would like to go. Circle of 5th's maybe?
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you