Wow, i have been practicing soloing/improv for a few years now and i have always had this minor'ish' or pentatonic (i know, listening to too much Angus Young) feel that i can't get rid of. I used think it was really nice because that was the sound i was looking for, but lately i have listened to a lot of The Darkness and i thought to myself, "jeez that stuff sounds really cool and seems like it would be more fun to play than sad or bluesy music."

So i just played the Major Scale and ran up and down the Lydian mode a few times just so the note patterns could sink into my head. Then i just started to improv a solo just really quick. It sounded like crap. I just thought 'well i havent played these scales in a long time, i just need time to get re-aquianted. I have been trying really hard the past few days but all i got are a few licks here and there. I couldnt get an entire solo to sound natural, it always sounded like i was forcing the notes upon myself and i freaked out because i have always just worked my way past problems within a few days. I have tried to learn some happy-ier solos and i can play them just fine, but when i try and make a solo in my major and lydian scale nothing sounds right. Can anyone give a few practicing methods so i can look at my fretboard differently? Am i just stuck in the minor-y and bluesy world? Am i just expecting too much from myself? because i have never tried to switch 'moods' this quickly. I'm worried that if i stick with the same practicing methods i have been using things wont get better, but should i give it a spin? Please ANY help would be great. Thanx very much appreciated
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
You need more than a scale to sound happy. Improvising on G Major will still sound sad if the rhythm guitar's strumming Em and Am as opposed to G and C. Make the chord progression include more major chords. There's also many other factors that contribute to the mood.
You can't not sound happy with the major pentatonic scale: 1 2 3 5 6. Bending the 2 up to the 3 always sounds nice and happy.

You should learn the solo to Heaven by the Los Lonely Boys. Pretty happy stuff there
Last edited by qstionauthority at Jul 28, 2008,
to pwr and one vision, i hope i'm on the same page as you guys are (and if im not this will sound really retarded). I'm not playing with any backround guitars or anything. When I first started playing those scales i was just winging it. I just wanted to get something simple going and build off that but everything time i did get something simple i tried building off it and it sounds fake, like i was trying too hard.

And to qstionauthority, yeah i found i few licks in the minor scale that i could make sound happy, but never an entire solo. Maybe i'm just out of my comfort zone playing the major scale or something.

Thanx again for the help, keep 'em coming
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
Quote by Chuckleberry
I'm not playing with any backround guitars or anything.

Counter-melody is more important than main melody in terms of mood setting. If you record yourself improvising on G major and play it back while strumming Em, Am and B7 it will sound much sadder than strumming G, C, and D to the exact same solo. If you're going to play completely unaccompanied then I'd recommend setting out a chord progression to follow before starting the improv.

This might be useful http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=marty+friedman+melodic+control&sitesearch=#
I wish i could record myself but i cant, all i have is a microhpone that might now even work (if i were to record myself, all i would nee is my guitar, amp, microphone, and audacity right? but what do i plug the mic into to get it on my computer? I'm sorry i have never recorded anything before in my life).

Next time i have a serious practice session i'll figure out a rythmn and then solo right after it and see how that goes. Well thanx again for the help, if theres anymore that you think might help me please dont hold back! Thanx
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
You need more than a scale to sound happy. Improvising on G Major will still sound sad if the rhythm guitar's strumming Em and Am as opposed to G and C. Make the chord progression include more major chords. There's also many other factors that contribute to them.
=======================================
jessica
GOOD PLACE TO GET ALL PRODUCT DETAILS...
shop4free
wtf?? ^^plagiarising pwrmax much?

I suspect it's just for advertising the link in the sig so *reported*
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 28, 2008,
You can play a happy melody line without backing or chords. Think of how people talk when they are happy and try to apply the same kind of sound to your phrasing.
Si
Pretty much all the Darkness's solos are in the minor pentatonic too - it's all about how you use the scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
to 20 tigers, i never thought about thinking about it like that. I just got a cool start to a solo remembering how my mom talks when she sees something she likes..."I LOVE those FLOWERS!! *loud gasp*"

To Steven, yeah i learned just a few little parts of two of the darkness' solos and they were in major scale so i just kinda assumed that i should play in the major scale to sounds happy, but now i'll try to apply the minor pentatonic to my happy solos.

to pwrmax, sorry i didnt see that video there until now. I still have to finish watching it but i already understand what your talking abotu now. Now i just gotta start recording so i can do that.

Thanx again everyone, REALLY helps out. Any more good tips?
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
K thanx I'll have to read that later tonight, i gotta get ready for work now. Thanx again and keep 'em comin!
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah