Alright when dealing with scales, what's up with that? Like... say we have the C major.

C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

do we start with the root and work up, or do we count all eight scale degrees up to the octave. All of the interval structure I've seen only has seven steps, so my question is: Where exactly do you start with the number 1, and where do you end with the number 7?
Yes, you start with number 1 being the root. In fact, you rarely see it written as a 1, instead it is commonly written r 2 3 4 5 6 7

You do not name the 8th degree in conventional scales, you always assume it to be 12 frets (6 tones) from the root.

You can instantly know the interval from the 7th degree to the root due to the quality of the 7th degree. If it is natural (7) then the distance is a semitone (1 fret), if it is flat (b7) then it is a whole tone (2 frets).

Any more questions i can help with?
^^what branny said.
Just to add to that. It's a beginners mistake to start at the first note of the scale then count the next note as 1 because you've moved up one step. The first note in the C Major scale is C. There are seven steps W W H W W W H that will take you up the next C which is one octave (oct=8).

You can carry on counting further up and you should get familiar with this too as the higher numbers past the octave are used in naming extended chords.

C D E F G A B C D E  F  G  A  B  C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Si
Quote by Teeth2483
So the higher numbers are the intervals in the next octave?

I'm trying to figure this out as well. This video helped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlCKtikv9E

yeah if you get stuck on the higher intervals and trying to work out what they are you can figure out the letter name by subtracting 7 and associating it with the lower octave. E.G. 11 will be an octave above 4 (11-7=4)
Si