Right, so I'm about to enter my senior year of HS in September, and I'm pretty convinced that I want to eventually go to medical school to become a physician (specializing in sports medicine eventually), so in order to get there I [obviously] need to graduate from an undergraduate program. I've been looking around at schools on CollegeBoard, and I've been pondering over pre-medicine programs. From what I understand, they're designed to prepare the student for medical school and the MCAT, while you also major in something else. What I want to know is if any of you have any experience in pre-med, and if it's really worth it.

It seems like the ideal scenario for me would be to attend a school that offers a pre-med program as well as one of the following majors: athletic training/sports medicine, exercise physiology, exercise sciences. When I run a search for schools that have to offer pre-med and then a combination of one of those three majors, I come up with extremely limited results. However, if I eliminate pre-med, I get plenty of results.

Cliffs:
- is pre-med worth it?
- is preparing/getting into medical school extremely difficult without being in pre-med?

Gracias. Danke. Thanks.
Jackson DK2T (Crimson Swirl)
Roland Cube 30X
Gibson SG Standard (Natural Burst)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Transparent Amber)
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Digitech RPx400 Floor Processor
i thought i was gonna go pre-med once, then i realized that 8 years of school before making a dime really sucks. plus you have to take lots of bio and chem classes, which unless you're a hardcore science guy will probably get on your nerves.

but if you want to be a sports physician or something i know some people who are athletic training majors. i don't really know what difference that makes in the grand scheme but it seems like it'd be up your alley.
Haha, yeah, I've considered the length of education, and it doesn't bother me all that much. I'm more concerned financially than anything else...not so much for undergraduate work, but for med. school itself. I know there are scholarships, but my family is quite the opposite of rich, but I don't plan on stopping because of that.

Also, I am a pretty hardcore science guy, haha. I'm genuinely interested in this field of study (don't you sort of have to be? ><, so I'm actually looking forward to the learning. =]

Thanks.
Roland Cube 30X
I'm currently a Pre-Med major in the Sportsmedicine department at my school, I'll be a sophmore this coming term.

I would say that Pre-Med is definitely worth it, even though I only got the basics this past year, it will all start to pick up for me this coming term.

I can almost positively say that you will need Pre-Med to get into Med. School. My school encourages you to choose Pre-Med or anything in the Sportsmedicine department (Pre-PT or AT's as well) before you enter your Sophmore year or you will be very behind and making it that much more difficult to get into Med. School.

I wish you well if you do end up choosing Pre-Med, it's definitely not easy, though you might be a better student than I am, but good luck anyways. If you have anymore questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.
Quote by sharpshootr55
I'm currently a Pre-Med major in the Sportsmedicine department at my school, I'll be a sophmore this coming term.

I would say that Pre-Med is definitely worth it, even though I only got the basics this past year, it will all start to pick up for me this coming term.

I can almost positively say that you will need Pre-Med to get into Med. School. My school encourages you to choose Pre-Med or anything in the Sportsmedicine department (Pre-PT or AT's as well) before you enter your Sophmore year or you will be very behind and making it that much more difficult to get into Med. School.

I wish you well if you do end up choosing Pre-Med, it's definitely not easy, though you might be a better student than I am, but good luck anyways. If you have anymore questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.

So you're technically majoring in Pre-Med? I'm kind of confused, as I think I've heard of people being in Pre-Med while majoring in something else. One of my main concerns in not taking Pre-Med would be that I'd sort of be on my own in preparing for the MCAT and making sure I fulfill all the pre-reqs, so I'm sort of leaning towards Pre-Med for those benefits.

Do you mind me asking how you did in high school (classes taken, averages, GPA, class rank, etc.) and how you're doing in college now? You don't need to answer all of that, but I'd like to see how I'm stacking up so far.

Are you planning on trying to become a sports medicine physician as well?
Roland Cube 30X
Yeah, Pre-Med is my major, it's part of our Sportsmedicine program. I understand what you're saying about someone being in Pre-Med while majoring in something else, it's varies throughout the schools, because I remember running into the same problem. I tried to look for schools that had a Medical/Sportsmedicine program, because that is where Pre-Med would be found.

One of the benefits of Pre-Med is the required clinical hours that you need to do, which gets you out to shadow doctors in different fields, so you get to go out and get first-hand experience

No I don't mind sharing my high school info... I was in the top 40 of my class, I think I was 38th, and I graduated with a 3.2 GPA (that was due to a lot of slacking off ). I was in the CAS program, which was basically an honors program at my school. I took all 3 science courses (Biology, Chemistry, and Physics) and took Biology II and Chemistry II as a senior.

I finished this year with a 2.9 GPA, taking General Chemistry I and II, Cell Biology, English I and II, World Classics, Statistics, Emergency Athletic Injury Management, and Personal Health Science.

I haven't quite figured out what kind of physician I want to be yet, though, there are a lot of options so I'm not sure where I want to go specifically yet.
Ahh ok, it's nice to hear someone else had similar problems as me! :P I swear, for the longest time it's seemed like no one has been able to tell me anything about this stuff, but I finally got fed up and posted on three different forums and I've gotten some good responses (like yours).

Yeah, the first-hand experience sounds like it would be invaluable. On another forum where I posted this same thread, someone suggested that I stray from double-majoring in Pre-Med+whatever else, as he feels Pre-Med is rigorous enough, so now I'm not too sure.

Since you're near the east coast, I assume you have heard of Rutgers University in NJ, right? Well I was looking at their New Brunswick/Piscataway campus (which is sub-20 miles from me) and they offer both Pre-Med and Exercise Sciences (which is pretty much what I'm interested in), and they listed some statistics from the students enrolled in the Exercise Science program, and apparently 20% of them are also Pre-Med. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this school. I don't want to travel more than 50 miles, so it's definitely within reach, and it's not too crazy financially (just over $20k).

BTW, thanks for the high school info and stuff. I understand the freshman year classes must be kind of boring, but are you going to be getting into more "sportsmedicine" stuff next year? You know, exercise physiology, strength and conditioning, etc.
Roland Cube 30X
No problem, glad that I could help.

Yeah I've heard of Rutger's University, definitely a good school. So it looks like you wanna stick fairly close to home? I kinda wish I would have done that, but I'm not super far from home. I don't know if you've heard of it, but I go to Mercyhurst College in Erie, PA, which is like 2 hours from my house, it's nice to be away, but I would like to be a little closer to home sometimes.

This coming year I will really get into the medical stuff, I will be taking Human Anatomy/Physiology I and II, Nutrition for Health Professionals, Into to Sportsmedicine, and Athletic Injury Management I (different from Emergency Athletic Injury Management), as well as American History, Organic Chemistry I and II, and Cellular Biochemistry... wow this year is gonna really be a bitch lol.
Hmm, I haven't heard of Mercyhurst, but it sounds like it has good programs. Yeah, I don't really want to travel farther than 50 miles, as I live just outside NYC, and I'd like to be able to come home on weekends without too much of a hassle.

Yeah, all of those classes sound pretty good dude. Embrace the knowledge!
Roland Cube 30X
UGHHHH I'm going to Michigan State Aug. 20 and I'm premed. I've been so scared. I'm hoping to transfer to U of M for my sophomore year. I'm enrolled in very leisurely math courses, some philosophy, and I believe two chem classes for the first term or maybe it was one chem and one bio. I graduated HS with a, well I'm not sure my final report card only had my term GPA but, I believe it was a low 3.8 or a very high 3.7. If you would like, I would be more than happy to PM you around midterms and finals for the first semester about how I feel the beginning of a premed curriculum is.
as close as you can get to Baileys without getting your eyes wet
Quote by Lampen69
UGHHHH I'm going to Michigan State Aug. 20 and I'm premed. I've been so scared. I'm hoping to transfer to U of M for my sophomore year. I'm enrolled in very leisurely math courses, some philosophy, and I believe two chem classes for the first term or maybe it was one chem and one bio. I graduated HS with a, well I'm not sure my final report card only had my term GPA but, I believe it was a low 3.8 or a very high 3.7. If you would like, I would be more than happy to PM you around midterms and finals for the first semester about how I feel the beginning of a premed curriculum is.

Yeah, sure, that'd be awesome if you remember, haha. Good luck!

P.S. - lax does indeed rock
Roland Cube 30X
*bump just in case other people have stuff to say =]
Roland Cube 30X
Hey there,

I'm not really sure what defines a pre-medical program here in Canada, but I suppose it revolves around the basic sciences. Right now I'm majoring in biology at my university. I would say majoring in the sciences is your best bet, I mean I've taken a lot of science classes and they have definately helped me prepare for my MCAT exam. Getting into medical school would most likely be much more difficult if you're not in a program that allows you to take at least some science credits, as you would have to learn a lot of material yourself for the MCAT. I'm applying to med schools next year with a GPA of 3.97. I think that is equivalent to a 4.0 for most American schools. Perhaps just figure out what you are strongest at in terms of the basic sciences and go from there.
Dunno bout how it is in america.
But here when you get into med school, you do 1 year of pre-med before moving into 1st med.

And i've gotta tell you. Med school WILL make you rip your balls off!! Its incredibly intense. You have to study seriously a LOT to get through it. Its not like arts or engineering where you can float through the years. Here you've gotta seriously work your ass off to pass through each year.
Though like it'll all be worth it after you've graduated from the college. But med school is INTENSE!!!
If you want to go to medical school, I would suggest not doing a Pre-Med major. Medical schools do not look favorably on that. As long as you take all the requirements for med-school admission in college, you can major in whatever you want.
Yeah, thanks guys. I've learned a lot over the last week or so, so I'm a lot more sure of what I want to do. I'm probably going to major in Exercise Sciences (features major-specific courses as well as enough Bio/Chem/Physics/elective option for Organic Chem) for undergrad, and then try to get into med. school and go through with all of that.

For the first time in a long time I'm actually excited about post-high school. =)
Roland Cube 30X