Just Got a guitar the other day unfinished. Its a quilt maple with maple neck and back etc... Im dyeing the wood a Bordeaux (dark orange/red/brown). all gold hardware. Im wondering If I can use auto clear coat to finish instead of using Nitro or Poly? I know of one person using it and said he got great tone out of it? Should I?
Greg Bennett Ultramatic UM-3 sig.
Custom Greg Bennett Hollowbody UM-4 sig.
Greg Bennett Fastback FB-3
Greg Bennett ASDMCE Acoustic
Fender GC-12 Acoustic

Amps:

Line 6 Spider III 15amp
Line 6 Vetta II HD

Effects:
Digi-tech RP-150
when you say auto cleat coat? do you mean an Automotive clear coat? I know of several people who have had guitars painted by auto-body shops using those types of paints made for cars and what not, and they have not had any problems, Ive never actually seen the guitars in person though. Just word of mouth and pics.
i used automotive paint on my guitar and it was fine, so yours should be too,
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
If you are seriously concerned that the kind of paint you use on your guitar will actually affect the tone you have been seriously misinformed.

A whole lot of people use duplicolor and other spray can stuff with excellent results. Go for it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I know there are some tone variations in the thickness and what type of finish you use. I'm using McFadden's dye but I don't really want to use Nitro cause it takes so long and automotive clear is dry and ready to buff in a little over an hour. And after I dye guitar should i use a sealer over the dye then clear it or just sand, dye, sand, dye (darker effect) then clear it? thanx
Fender GC-12 Acoustic

Amps:

Line 6 Spider III 15amp
Line 6 Vetta II HD

Effects:
Digi-tech RP-150
Put sanding sealer down over the dye, sand to 400 grit, shoot the clear, many many coats.

I don't know who told you that automotive clear is ready to buff in an hour, but I'm not sure if that is right. I think you should let it sit for at least a day, but I could be wrong.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
ThanX man. I know on a car after spraying and being under heat lamps its ready in a little over an our 1:15min.
Fender GC-12 Acoustic

Amps:

Line 6 Spider III 15amp
Line 6 Vetta II HD

Effects:
Digi-tech RP-150
Yeah but the pros have heat lamps that make it that way. Like, I work at a car dealership so they have a body shop. The heating lamps are special designed and stuff.

I would wait at least a day
until your fingernail will no longer make a dent
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
ok thanx alot!
Fender GC-12 Acoustic

Amps:

Line 6 Spider III 15amp
Line 6 Vetta II HD

Effects:
Digi-tech RP-150