my buddy who plays bass is always complaining about how his amp isn't loud enough

He has a rack unit and uses an ampeg, i dont know what amp model
but he got all of his stuff used and it came with a behringer, and of course, the behringer broke on him but it gave him a boost in volume insanely, and now he claims his ampeg doesnt have enough volume with the eq setting that he likes most

is there a preamp he could possibly buy that could increase his volume in general? maintaining tone and all?
well as a bass player he should have the same tone as jason newsted, which is almost nothing
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
If he has a rack mounted Ampeg, he should have plenty of volume. What type of cab does he use? If he uses an 8 ohm cabinet and the Ampeg is 4 ohms, then he isn't getting full power. He shouldn't need an extra preamp.

Also, if he is scooping his mids, he won't be as loud as the rest of the band. It may be his favourite EQ setting that is making his amp appear quieter.

Also, try posting on the bass forum next time, they probably have better advice.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Quote by grobbo91

Also, if he is scooping his mids, he won't be as loud as the rest of the band. It may be his favourite EQ setting that is making his amp appear quieter.

You sure about that? The whole mids thing with guitar is because the bass dominates the bass frequencies and the cymbals the highs, so the guitar needs to be in the middle. But the bass doesn't need that much mids, does it?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
You sure about that? The whole mids thing with guitar is because the bass dominates the bass frequencies and the cymbals the highs, so the guitar needs to be in the middle. But the bass doesn't need that much mids, does it?

Yes, he is right. When you take out mids on both guitar and bass it will make the instrument appear to be quieter.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Yes, he is right. When you take out mids on both guitar and bass it will make the instrument appear to be quieter.

Well, doesn't that work for any frequency? Take anything out and the instrument will appear to be quieter. He could just as well be scooping his bass, which would definitely make him sound quieter.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Not... enough... info...

Really need to know what head and cab he's using, what bass, what amps the rest of the band are using, what kind of music you're playing, etc.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
might need another cab for full volume
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
You are about to start some volume wars. Or rather, he already did.

"I cant hear myself" *turns amp up*
Guitarist: "Dude i cant hear myself!" *turns his amp up*
Drummer: *plays harder*
Singer: *starts screaming*

Do everyone a favor...when someone cant hear themselves? Instead of initiating volume wars, ask everyone else to turn down.
mids frequencies matters alot more on bass than on guitar. without mids the bass just blends in with the guitar without any definition. if your bassist cant hear him self get him to boost his mids so it can cut through the mids.
why an extra preamp? if the unit isnt loud enough, you should get a power amp.
I have a 50 watt deanmarkley bass amp. Its not particularly loud on its own. Running a guitar its easy enough to turn the volume up on a stomp box. I have one of those cheap fishnchips EQs I put it in the FX loop with the EQ set flat and the volume turned up boosts the overall volume quite a bit.
i found out that he plays through an ampeg b2-r
and he has an avatar 2x10 cab
i think it's 8 ohms, pretty sure both of them are

he plays a fender jp-90
Its a 350 watt head, your bassist shouldnt really be having a problem. However some bigger speakers should help, the bass combos we used in school where 100 watts through 15" speakers They were only JUST able to be heard when the mids were boosted, and we practiced pretty damn loud.
Quote by beckyjc
Its a 350 watt head, your bassist shouldnt really be having a problem. However some bigger speakers should help, the bass combos we used in school where 100 watts through 15" speakers They were only JUST able to be heard when the mids were boosted, and we practiced pretty damn loud.

+1

and actually it's 250 watt @ 8 Ohm or 450 @ 4 Ohm.
check hear:
http://www.ampeg.com/products/b/b2re/index.html
but yeah it really shouldn't be any problem with volume with so much watt.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2