i play lead guitar in a metal band with two of my other friends from school. i play lead, the other plays bass, and the third sings.the singer is the one who started the band.

i'm an old school thrash fan, metallica, megadeth, etc. The bassist is in love with slipknot. the singer is a fan of bands like like david, impending doom, and etc. the issue i keep having is thus-neither of them have so far contributed material to the songwriting. i have written the entire guitar part by myself, i laid the base for the bass (lol.....homonyms). the only part i haven't written is the vocals because i want my buddy to be able to have the band he started sound the way he wants. obviously the other 2 members have influences who show in our style of play, but im feeling kinda bad, mainly because i feel like i'm dominating in a band where i really feel like we should all write our own parts and try to incorporate our individual styles into an overall sound that's something similar to what the singer was wanting. i'm an okay songwriter, but if i write the majority of the parts, won't that make our sound and feel kind of boring?

if you have any advice i'm glad to hear it. thanks.
professional idiot

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot (hopefully get it in october)
Ibanez Gio GAX
Trinity River Strat Wannabe

Amps:
Trinity River TR-15
Marshall MS-2 mini amp

Pedals:
Digitech Death Metal
Get the bass to come up with his own **** and ask them both for their input. Have them mouth any riffs they come up with. I'm sure the songwriter had an idea of the mood when he wrote the **** so ask them what it should be like.
advice: get a drummer?

EDIT... to answer your question I don't think it's a big deal if you write all the music as long as you know what you're doing. maybe the other members just don't have anything to contribute right now, eventually I'm sure they will.
In my band I play guitar and write all the music for all the instruments (except vocals) and it's never been a problem so you should be able to deal with it.
Last edited by OThugSd at Jul 28, 2008,
we're going to wait until we can find a drummer we like. we only know one drummer, and he's a dick (i've played in a band with him before) and my bassist refuses to play with him. right now we're focusing more on writing riffs and just jamming than gigging or anything. we're all without our licenses (i finally get mine in december) and none of us have jobs, so we can't really do any real music work.
professional idiot

Guitars:
Ibanez Gio GAX

Amps:
Trinity River TR-15
Marshall MS-2 mini amp

Pedals:
Digitech Death Metal
Bands need leading, if the singer who formed the band isnt stepping up for the job, I doubt they mind you doing it. Keep writing stuff, dont let the bassist rely completly on you or they will possibly become bored. Show them the riffs your doing and how they work and stuff but dont give them a sheet of tab to play or sumthin. Keep encouraging them to come up with stuff and to get involved in the writing.
Screw Ignorance... Indifference is bliss.
Not everyone can be a musician, that's why it's quite often difficult to find other likeminded musicians to form bands with.
In the same respect, not everyone that becomes a musician can be a naturaly good songwriter, infact, people who are actualy good at it are quite a rare commodity.
So what quite often happens in a band is that one person will be obviously better at songwriting than the rest of the band and eventualy, the rest of the band will accept this and leave him to his own devices, let him write the majority of the music and just put forward little bits and pieces every now and then.

Does that sound familiar?

There's nothing wrong with you doing the majority of the songwriting, as long as you make sure that else everyone is happy with that and that they all know that if they have any input they wish to contribute towards the songwriting, they can.
What you say of course is correct, many influences makes for more original music, but that only applies if it isn't pushed and people aren't forced to come up with ideas.
Ideas should happen like a bolt of inspiration, once someone has had this happen to them a few times, they become better at coming up with ideas, so if you continue doing the majority of the writing while running an open door policy for songwriting ideas from the rest of the band, you'll find that as time goes on, the rest of the band will become more and more involved in the whole songwriting process.
thanks for the advice guys.
professional idiot

Guitars:
Ibanez Gio GAX

Amps:
Trinity River TR-15
Marshall MS-2 mini amp

Pedals:
Digitech Death Metal