This is probably a little ironic asking for a style that doesn't use much guitar in this forum, but i'm a bass player so yeah =]. I'm searching for bands similar to things like Jack's Mannequin and The Rocket summer, so i can study their styles and try and emulate it. I'm in a band and our guitarist sings, i'm trying to write something that takes the emphasis off his playing and more onto the rest of our band (keys, bass, drummer) as he's a singer first, guitarist second.

I'm also (mainly actually) interested in the chord work of keys and guitars for this style, I just cannot break them down. I can sort of deduct the basic 4-part harmony behind it but overall i just can't write something similar. Bass and drum parts come easy to me.

So yeah, any tips for writting in this style will be much apperciated.
I don't really have any tips, but I like that style.

Contact me also if you have any tips.

Thanks dude

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
As for bands the most obvious ones would be Coldplay, Travis, Keane etc. any sort of Indie/Pop really. Even if you don't like the lyrics, or the pop element to those songs, if you look at the piano seperately you may find some techniques you like.

To make chord sequences sound better and take emphasis away from the singer, just using broken chords or arppegios (playing one note of the chord at a time) or think about passing/auxillary notes (notes that are not used within the chord but used for melodical effect) etc.

I have a feeling i maybe confusing you, so PM me also if you want any more advise/expansion on what i've said.

Feel free to add me and listen to more hilarious jokes such as the above.
sorry, i dont have any help for you, but i do want to know how to use keyboards in a hard rock/thrash metal perspective. I have a good understanding of major and minor scales, and major, minor, 7th, maj7th, min7, 6, sus2, sus, chords, but i cant seem to use any of this in a musical sense. any help for wrting piano parts in general?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
sorry, i dont have any help for you, but i do want to know how to use keyboards in a hard rock/thrash metal perspective. I have a good understanding of major and minor scales, and major, minor, 7th, maj7th, min7, 6, sus2, sus, chords, but i cant seem to use any of this in a musical sense. any help for wrting piano parts in general?

Think about having a melody (a line you can play in the right hand) then once you have that down, give it some harmony in the right hand. Harmony can be chords, or just a note but to determine what to use, look at the notes you're playing in the melody. Then think about phrasing and cadences (how to end the phrase so a V-I chord progression would be a perfect cadence) and just improvise in a given key really.

Feel free to add me and listen to more hilarious jokes such as the above.