Was searching on the forums and there doesn't appear to be a thread on Billy so i thought i would make one!

I discovered Sheehan when listening to some Mr. Big a couple of years ago and also Tallas and Steve Vai (Astoria) I found him to be a little different from other bassist i had previously seen such as Flea, Pastorius etc. Mainly due to his extensive soloing and filling in between songs!

The thing that stood out was his tone (ofcourse he gets from using compression and his Yamaha Attitude Bass) which i feel fits in great with the music he played with Tallas / Mr. Big. I also brought his instructional DVD xmas just gone and was impressed with his technique and approach to music...

Just wanted to know everyones oppinions really
- Discuss
Last edited by vickers89 at Jul 28, 2008,
Personally I don't care for him. Between the tone and the extensive Mush he calls soloing (Yes, we know you can play fast) I just feel left with so much more to desire. But different strokes for different folks, y'know?
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
yer i agree with you there, i mean when i first saw it i was like wow but now i appriciate different things like. The tone is pretty awful but i suppose in the right context it cuts through pretty well.

I wouldnt mind having a go one of the attitude basses to see what there like, they look like good fun
I find most of his solo's to be WAY too muddy, and although he can obviously play very well I think he gets a little sloppy at times?

Quote by vickers89
I also brought his instructional DVD xmas just gone and was impressed with his technique and approach to music...

I also have his instructional dvd, and it's actually pretty good, especially his lessons on 3 finger plucking.
technically he is spot on, his three finger technique is really steady (something that i just cant get) all i seem to do it gallop with 3 fingers :s

I find his solos are a bit guitar like is some parts, and that speed is everything with him... but never the less its different and what he is well-known for like.

I got a hipshot d tuner because of that DVD, there great fun!!
Love him. His stuff in songs like Merciless, Colorado Bulldog are amazing. But he doesn't really over do it - Nothing But Love, Take Cover both have great fills but provide a solid backing.

Also a proper showman.
ye man, theres no doubting that hes a good solid bass player. some of his bass lines are quite tidy on the Mr. Big tracks I like his playing because its challenging to immitate. Addicted to that rush for example i am determined to learn it all one day ha!
saw him at the london guitar show last month. was a bit dissappointed really, i expected him to do his amazing soloing. he didnt do alot, just normal bass lines with some good fills, none of the mr big amazing fast solos wiht pinch hamrnoics.
I find his tone to be pretty god awful in my opinion. The guy has jobs but he has almost no melody IMHO all i have ever seen is his mindless wankery and shred festivals. But his 3 finger technique is VERY impressive.
I saw Billy at Bx3 with Stu Hamm and Jeff Berlin. There's no doubting his abilities as a bass player, but he shreds a bit too much for my personal taste. I'm with Ben, when he is a straight rock bass player, he's at his most listenable and enjoyable for me.

Beyond that, like the other two Bx3 bassists, he's a great guy to talk to and very generous in the time he spends talking to his fans and audience.
Quote by anarkee
I saw Billy at Bx3 with Stu Hamm and Jeff Berlin. There's no doubting his abilities as a bass player, but he shreds a bit too much for my personal taste. I'm with Ben, when he is a straight rock bass player, he's at his most listenable and enjoyable for me.

Beyond that, like the other two Bx3 bassists, he's a great guy to talk to and very generous in the time he spends talking to his fans and audience.

But he's a dirty Scientologist!
Well...he wasn't handing out pamphlets that night at least. Or any copies of Dianetics.

Maybe his thetan wasn't being audited right or something.
I like his tone kinda. unique.

I like his solos, but they all sound similar.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I like his tone for what he does with it, but in terms of many other styles of bass playing, it doesn't suit. It sure does cut though. You can actually replicate it fairly similarly by just boosting the highs and mids, and cutting the bass a little on your amp, with a P type pickup, adding a tiny amount of distortion can work, but without the double pickup output the low end fuzzes up.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
I think that technique wise, Billy Sheehan is the greatest bassist ever. That said, the notes themselves leave a little something to be desired. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan, but I think there are other bassists that are alot better to learn from.
Hes pretty freakin' sweet... I'm sure if any of you could play that fast you would want to show it off by soloing in every second of every song
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Hes pretty freakin' sweet... I'm sure if any of you could play that fast you would want to show it off by soloing in every second of every song

I do. And that's why the neighbours cats throw old boots at me.

In response to the TS - No, I don't like Billy Sheehan that much.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.