My band are going in to the studio in a month. the songs we have are alright the other guys like them im not sure there as good as they can be.

We already cut them down so that they are all just under 3.30mins so that they dont drag

this is the studio we are going into:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=103831349

if you listen to the clips they all sound very good but this isnt really any thing like the style of music we play, we play stuff similar to this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjkC7XGS_MI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IxDP8TtOwA

But our songs are shorter. obviously i havent got clips of our bands songs because thats why weer going into the studio. I need your advice to help us find ways to make these songs better, like the songs on the studios myspace, now i know the studio guys will be able to help but i wanted to ask you guys if you know how to make them sound better before then.

By better i mean more professional sounding, fuller in terms of sound, more exciting and more intersting to listen to.
Y'know, once upon a time, bands used to record songs for an album, then simply edit down the recorded songs chosen for singles to around 3 minutes to make them more radio friendly.
So you'd end up with catchy, short, singles and much longer versions of the same song on the album.
Maybe you could revive this custom?
Quote by The_0thersid3
Do you mean record the songs at a longer length then any singles or demos we create we cut them down to make them shorter?

Yes. That way, one song serves two purposes.
Quote by The_0thersid3

I was thinking of adding key boards to the songs?

It's a good idea, keyboards are great for filling a sound out, especialy if you look at using keyboards to build up a brass section or a string section, but remember, the more you put into the recording, the harder it is to recreate the sound of the recording live. If you use keyboards on the recordings, it could possibly be a good idea to get a permanent keyboard player for your band.
Another way would be to double track the guitars and vocals, which would fill your overall sound out but still leave your live gigs sounding like your recordings.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by The_0thersid3
Well we have been thinking of adding key board player for a while so we could get all the parts together for the record then finding one after.

Sounds like a decent plan to me.
But wait to see what the results of your recordings are before deciding if a permanent keyboard player is justified in your band.
If, for instance, he'll only have parts of a few songs in the set to play, it's hardly worth bothering with.
If you get one however, you may have to rework any other songs you have already written to fit the keyboards in.
Make sure you use him to his full potential because anything less would be a waste and I'm pretty sure that any decent keyboard player wouldn't hang around too long if they were only a 'bit part' player.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 28, 2008,
i would like to be able to get the key board parts writen before we go into the studio just to make sure it sounds right, unless i leave that until i get in the studio and use an hour or so experimenting with keyboard sounds to create more intersting textures in the songs
Quote by The_0thersid3
i would like to be able to get the key board parts writen before we go into the studio just to make sure it sounds right, unless i leave that until i get in the studio and use an hour or so experimenting with keyboard sounds to create more intersting textures in the songs

Depends on how you look at it really.
Personaly I would use an hour or so experimenting with keyboard sounds to create more intersting textures in the songs, but axemanchris who comes on here, gives great advice and also (I think) runs a studio would probably tell you to have everything prepaired.
Everyone has a different preference for how they work and there isn't really a 'right' way of doing it.
But I do know that if you decide to sort it out in the studio, it can end up costing you more money in studio time.
It depends, If where adding textures like background droney sythns or following the bass line then i think we could easily do it in the studio.

If we were adding deep purple style key board solos forward planning would be needed.

We have a month to prepare our selfs so i think we should put in as much preperation as possible before hand.
Quote by The_0thersid3
It depends, If where adding textures like background droney sythns or following the bass line then i think we could easily do it in the studio.

If we were adding deep purple style key board solos forward planning would be needed.

We have a month to prepare our selfs so i think we should put in as much preperation as possible before hand.

Agreed.
Im alot better at guitar than keyboards.

What if i got something similar to the roland synth pickup and fed it through one of the studios key boards to get the key board sounds but controll it via my guitar so that it is played better.

Would that work/be a good idea?
Quote by The_0thersid3

By better i mean more professional sounding, fuller in terms of sound,

This is mic quality, mic placement, preamp quality, judicious (not over-the-top) use of well-chosen FX and processing, good knowledge of recording/production techniques in general, good mixing, etc. This is the studio's job to worry about. The only control you have over that is knowing about recording yourself. Given such short timelines and how much their is to know, best leave all that in their capable hands.

This, after all, is why you are hiring them in the first place. If you could do this yourself, you would just do it yourself, right? (and I'm not referring to simply having the gear.... there is SO much more to it than that....)

Quote by The_0thersid3
more exciting and more intersting to listen to.

This is your job. If the songs are exciting and interesting to listen to before you record, if the recording is successful (see above), they should be just as exciting and interesting after you record them. If they are not.... then a good recording won't make them so.

Unfortunately, not hearing the songs, we can't really help you except to ask yourself and your bandmates among yourselves to honestly assess them. Maybe get someone whose opinion you respect (not just your girlfriends, etc.) and who is able to give you constructive criticism to come and listen at a rehearsal so they can offer suggestions.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by The_0thersid3
Im alot better at guitar than keyboards.

What if i got something similar to the roland synth pickup and fed it through one of the studios key boards to get the key board sounds but controll it via my guitar so that it is played better.

Would that work/be a good idea?

Depends on the synth sound you use really. Obviously a guitar and a keyboard are played differently with different techniques, so string sounding effects, something that would be plucked would sound better done on the guitar synth and a piano sounding effect would sound better done on a keyboard, but in general, yeah, go for it, experiment to your heart's desire.

But remember, you only have a month, if you haven't played a guitar synth before, they can take a little bit of time to get used to.
give the bassist a more fun riff.

it sounds stupid, but it works.

also, make sure you always have at least 3 istruments playing as often as possible.