Hi,
Pretty much self explanetary!

If I have a Bass Guitar and an electric guitar amp will that effect the sound of the bass? Will a bass guitar sound better through a bass amp?

What really is the difference between the two?

Thanks Guys!
Bass amps are designed to handle lower frequencies.

Although guitars sound fine through bass amps, thats originally what the Fender Bassman was.

Get a bass amp if you want to play it without damaging the guitar amp
Do not play the bass through the guitar amp, it will destroy the amp. Guitar amps are not designed to handle that low a frequency.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Bass Amps can handle pretty much anything without being damaged. Both a guitar and bass should work fine, you'll just have alot of...well...bass in your tone.

Guitar amps however are designed for higher pitched sounds. If you play a bass though it, its not a matter of if it will break, but when it will break.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
From my understanding, the problem with using bass guitar through a guitar amp is the speaker. The speaker isn't designed to handle those low frequencies, so it could get damaged.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
From my understanding, the problem with using bass guitar through a guitar amp is the speaker. The speaker isn't designed to handle those low frequencies, so it could get damaged.

+1

I've played bass thru a Marshall JCM800 connected to a reflex bass bin.

If your guitar amp is a combo, you'd be wise not to crank a bass thru it - as you WILL blow the speaker. It's only a matter of time, and probably not all that much.

In general, bass amps need a lot more power than guitar amps to keep up volume-wise. The big problem is that human ears are designed to hear mid frequencies the best. So if you have a guitarist gigging with a 30W 1x12 tube combo, the bass player would probably need about 150W at a minimum to keep up.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.