Okay. You have all of the modes.

Ionian, Dorian, Phyrgian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian

To put a letter name in front of them what do I do? Is Ionian always C. is Dorian always D?

If I want to use E Aeolian and E Lydian how would I do that? Would I start out with my E major Scale, and find it's 6th and 4th scale degrees a build from those roots with the same notes as E? If I did that I would get different note names.

Basically, here's my dilema. I was told in a lesson to use different modes with the same note name. So I mean, if I wanted to use Lydian and Aeolian modes both in in D, would I just make my root note D and build the certain scales of using the forumla? Or what?
if you play the dorian scale starting whith a root of D, it's D dorian. Same with any mode, the root= *root* dorian, e.g the mixolydian mode starting on F would be F mixo.

at least i think so, i learned all theory from Ug
Quote by Gizmo Factory
Okay. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Even though you said this, I'm not too sure you know how to do it (from what you said in the original post). So...

You want to use E Aeolian and E Lydian. Tis quite simple, just build those scales off of the note E. Intervals are related/based off of the major scale, so you must start with the major scale of the root before getting started (in this case, E).

E major: E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#, E

Then you apply the intervals of the scales you want to use. Let's start with Aeolian:

Aeolian: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7

You see there are 3 flats there, so you apply those flats to the major scale and you end up with Aeolian:

E<1
F#<2
G#< flatten the 3 to make G
A<4
B<5
C#<flatten the 6 to make C
D#<flatten the 7 to make D

Now you end up with E Aeolian: E, F#, G, A, B, C, D.

To make E Lydian, simply do the same thing with the Lydian scale (which is easy because you only sharp the 4th because Lydian is: 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
All the letter before the scale name indicates is your root, so whatever the root of the scale is will be your letter. For example, if you're in D major, D is the tonic of the key, and Ionian is based on the tonic so you'd have D Ionian. The Lydian mode relative to D major would begin on the fourth degree of the scale, so it would be G Lydian.