Right, in the process of gathering money right now, and I'm going to build myself a new guitar as soon as I have enough.

The planned idea so far is for a Peavey tracer kind of guitar, with a preferably 24 fret maple neck in the style of a jackson, with a Floyd Rose and an EMG 81 in the bridge. Check pics for specifics.

And as far asn experience goes, I've never done anything more than sand down a few bits of wood in school, or solder a PCB under an Adults Supervision. I think I should be able to do it however, and for prices, I'm curretnly finding stuff, I'm not wanting tog o over £500 total.

This is going on the guitar on the top left part of the guitar

Here's a representation of what it should look like when finished.

EDIT: I can either build a Peavey Tracer wannabe for about £500, or buy an early 90s Peavey tracer and just install the EMG and repaint it.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by MoonageDaydream at Jul 28, 2008,
According to this document, HMRC will charge you a maximum of 3.7% duty, and 17.5% VAT on guitars (and presumably on guitar bits). So on your purchase, it should come in at about £82 - plus whoever delivers it is likely to charge you a tenner on top for taking your money off you. So it looks like that'll go a bit over your budget

The problem comes if they dispute the value of goods - you should be able to prove the value, as they are readily available on the web to buy, but people do get stung for more if there is any doubt, such as ebay purchases.
Quote by mark_wuk
According to this document, HMRC will charge you a maximum of 3.7% duty, and 17.5% VAT on guitars (and presumably on guitar bits). So on your purchase, it should come in at about £82 - plus whoever delivers it is likely to charge you a tenner on top for taking your money off you. So it looks like that'll go a bit over your budget

The problem comes if they dispute the value of goods - you should be able to prove the value, as they are readily available on the web to buy, but people do get stung for more if there is any doubt, such as ebay purchases.

It's hit and miss whether HMRC will check the package though. About a 50/50 chance.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Really? Anyone have decent links for bodies and stuff? The Pickups is coming fromThomann,in Germany, and is under £70 delivered with 2 pots and all teh EMG shizz.

If anyone could help me find a decent european version of warmoth, it would be highly appreciated. I haven't got any tools other than the usual hammer, hand saw and screwdriver. I'm buying a soldering iron however.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Really? Anyone have decent links for bodies and stuff? The Pickups is coming fromThomann,in Germany, and is under £70 delivered with 2 pots and all teh EMG shizz.

If anyone could help me find a decent european version of warmoth, it would be highly appreciated. I haven't got any tools other than the usual hammer, hand saw and screwdriver. I'm buying a soldering iron however.

Ask JS how much he'd make you some of the stuff for, if not the whole guitar. Also, for the pickups, go to eBay!. I've never paid more than £45 for an EMG, because I buy them 2nd hand from there. I've had two 81's for £91 (inc P&P), a 60 for £36, and an 85 for £23.

Never, ever, ever spend that much on an EMG. Also, you can get the battery clips for about 50p, and 25K pots are £3.20 for two (from Axesrus).
Quote by MoonageDaydream

This sites are great:
http://www.rockinger.com/ (germany)

http://www.voxhumanawebstore.nl/webstore/index.php?language=uk&osCsid=2b10d8025071b5511aaeca2497d891d0 (netherlands)
Fantastic guys, if I actually know who JS was I'd ask him, help me guys!

BTW This guitar is like an imitation of Nick Reinhart's in this video : http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4761709799694514997&q=&hl=en

Just a more green version, actually, I'm going to do it Green with a black aphex Twin sticker.

There's a mid 90s Peavey Tracer for £333 on Ebay, Maple neck 24 Fret. All I'd need to do is stick the EMG in it, pull everythign else out and repaint it. I might prefer to do it myself, however. I'll have to see.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by MoonageDaydream at Jul 28, 2008,
Cheers, asked him about it.

Would me buying the Tracer already and just fixing it be a better idea?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by UpTheIrons!
It's hit and miss whether HMRC will check the package though. About a 50/50 chance.

Actually, it seems the bigger the package or the less believable the declared value of the item, the more chance there is of being stopped, I've had a neck delivered from the states ($100 value) and it's got away with no duty, but a lot of other things have been stopped, despite being in smaller boxes.

Buying from Europe is a much better idea though.

Quote by superbadboy2

Useful links - Axesrus have a limited range of bodies, but they are cheaper by the look of things - not such a good range as voxhumana though.
Last edited by mark_wuk at Jul 28, 2008,