has enyone here ever noticed the steadily declining quality of digital media?
it seems like all the corperations care about is providing as much worthless content to people, at the cost of quality
its been driving me mad, maybee its not getting worse, i spose MY standards could be getting higher...
maybee its just me, but does anyone else notice the horrid digital compression in video/audio/music, these days, and if you do, do you realy care?
Music, yes - Radio 1 for example compress the music to buggery so you "hear all of it" if in a noisy van or car. I assume.
I've definitely noticed the bad compression in music. they seem to think loud = better
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Quote by BadgeMan
I've definitely noticed the bad compression in music. they seem to think loud = better

^^ The same song mastered on CD 4 times since 1982 ( "something " by the Beatles)

Me, I prefer dynamics. Post rock FTW.

There's no decline other wise factories would begin pumping out those late 80's tvs with the fake wooden sides.
Last edited by rizo299 at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Axendancy
No, technology has and will always be improving.

you might think so
but its not allways true
compinies will provide you with more content by compressing it
the only way to fix thix issue, is by aquiring more bandwidth
examples, satilite tv/radio

and also it seems our standards of technology are getting worse
so many people would rather have a cheap 1TB harddrive for cheap, than a 500 gig for a lil more
even tho the 1TB will be of much worse quality, and would fail
i think if you NEED a harddrive that big, and a 500 gig wont satisfy
you should not be puting your data on the cheapest one
seeing as it will most likely fail within 7-9 years, if not sooner.
Last edited by xiyixo at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by BadgeMan

Exactly. Totally removes the dynamics of it. Music on tv is much the same/worse. Just about everything is overly compressed or whatever. Don't you just hate those "summer radio 1" adverts with Zane Lowe and a horrible compressed mess of "music" in the background?

/pointless rant
Quote by GiantRaven
Stop listening to the radio then?

Or... start listening to good, well run radio stations. Planet Rock actually has a policy whereby they do not interfere with any of the music they play - and trust me, you notice.
Quote by Jackolas
Or... start listening to good, well run radio stations. Planet Rock actually has a policy whereby they do not interfere with any of the music they play - and trust me, you notice.

Damn right.

I remember my days of Galaxy FM. Looking back now I don't know how I put up with it.
It was 2 minutes of shoddy music and 10 minutes of some dickhead saying 'Gaaalaaxy' like he just got a blowjob from Jenna Jameson.
Quote by Axendancy
No, technology has and will always be improving.

Exactly. The're just finding more and more effective ways of compressing music; that's not to say they can't produce high-quality files if needed.

People don't want 13MB+ files that hold only one song.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by GiantRaven
Stop listening to the radio then?

i pretty much have
i mostly listen to indie music i get from online, and from friends
and YES, when i get a cd to rip, i rip it to a lossless format.
using alot of space is better than wishing you hadent got such a poor copy

although...people wont notice when they listen to music on earbuds that cost that of a candybar
i accually run my computer through a high quality sound system (prolly why i notice the difference in bitrate so often)

Quote by Smokey Amp
Exactly. The're just finding more and more effective ways of compressing music; that's not to say they can't produce high-quality files if needed.

why not? internet bandwidth is getting cheaper, so is physical memory
hell, computers these days come with harddrives so big, you could not fill them with music, regaurdless of quality

i think we are at the point were size dosent matter, people are just stuck with the idea that it does.
Last edited by xiyixo at Jul 28, 2008,
Technology is getting better, you can't doubt that. The way people utilise it isn't the best.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
I love the way young people always think technology is declining. Like they've been around long enough to have an opinion on things.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by Smokey Amp
You've obviously never heard of .FLAC have you?
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by xiyixo
why not? internet bandwidth is getting cheaper, so is physical memory
hell, computers these days come with harddrives so big, you could not fill them with music, regaurdless of quality

i think we are at the point were size dosent matter, people are just stuck with the idea that it does.

In a few years, maybe. At the moment, it's not going to happen. MP3s with a low bit-rate are far too common.

Quote by axeslash
You've obviously never heard of .FLAC have you?

:rolleyeyes:

I am aware there are are conversion formats that have a higher quality output with increased file size, but that has nothing to do with the point I was making.

Quote by Smokey Amp

I am aware there are are conversion formats that have a higher quality output with increased file size, but that has nothing to do with the point I was making.

*lossless output.
Quote by Smokey Amp
:rolleyeyes:

...i believe there was a song that went a little something like that...

i'm not funny, am i?
Fun Animal Facts #23: The pit can skeletonise a cow in under three minutes
Well if you're going to download poor quality stuff...
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Captain Howdy
...i believe there was a song that went a little something like that...

i'm not funny, am i?

Sweet lord, that was one huge typo.

yeah... *frantically beats backspace key*

god damn... is it really too late for that now?

edit:
...oh wait. i just got that... i thought you were refering to my post...

i think i have just failed miserably...
Fun Animal Facts #23: The pit can skeletonise a cow in under three minutes
Last edited by Captain Howdy at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Captain Howdy
yeah... *frantically beats backspace key*

god damn... is it really too late for that now?

It's okay. I'll leave it there un-edited, for all to see, as a testament to my appalling typing skills.