If I get a new speaker for my peavey valveking 112 (50 watts) how many watts does it need to be able to handle? I've heard the amp can put out up to 80 watts sometimes?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
The higher the wattage the more it can handle without braking up, you need a minimum of 50watts but more is better. Also - make sure the ohms match!
if i get a speaker with too much wattage can that have a negative effect i.e. not break up as quick and so have less gain?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
very versatile is a must, i play clean, blues, classic rock through to metallica/megadeth/slayer/pantera

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Well do you want an American or British voiced cone?

American-Fat bottom, glassy highs, mids neutral in EQ or slightly scooped
British-Raunchy, midrange-y, thick
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
could you recommend a speaker for both styles? to be honest I want both! i play a lot of ac/dc and zeppelin, but also a lot of megadeth and slayer stuff.

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
I'd suggest a G12K-100, the bass would be good for a warm blues sound and for metal styles. Shouldn't break up either