thankfully i dont have the stutter where you stammer through your words like he-he-he-he-hello. but sometimes i get this thing thats like a speech block. where i try to say something and nothing comes out, just a silence of failure.

problem is, i just got offered another job at my office, with better pay and better hours, but i have to deal with phone calls. and thats where im at my worst, for some reason i have trouble getting the word "HELLO" out, which as you can imagine makes awkward silences right at the start. other than that I have no other speech problems. And it only happens when i dont know who im talking too, so at my job, thats gonna apply to every single call.

So what do you think? should i take this job? and are there anyone else out there like me who has this same problem? tell me some stuff you do to counter it.

btw my phone calls sound like this

*picks up phone
Me: .....................
Caller: um...
Me: HELLO! (since its blocked and im forcing it, when it finally comes out its loud and angry)
Caller: wtf?
Quote by Graveworm
The whole muagy thai or whatever crap is just meh to me.
Go see a doctor or speech therapist? I worked in a call centre and after the first 2 or 3 calls you stop being nervous.
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
Good idea number 24!

I get that too TS, it's no big deal unless it really affects your confidence, in which case I'd speak with somebody about it. Maybe your GP can direct you to a speech therapist?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
Good idea number 24!

I get that too TS, it's no big deal unless it really affects your confidence, in which case I'd speak with somebody about it. Maybe your GP can direct you to a speech therapist?

I thought it was too number 5

Quote by Duffman123

True story.
just give it some practice and you'll get better at it. for instance, the first call you take will be pants, but imagine yourself after you've worked there for a month, right at home and relaxed, and you should see that you'll get used to it and be good at taking calls from stangers.

just don't start breathing heavy.
KENZI199 is from the internet.
Quote by Count Seanula
Go see a doctor or speech therapist? I worked in a call centre and after the first 2 or 3 calls you stop being nervous.

yea hopefully i get used to it, i dont want to spend money on a speech therpist just for a "speech block" you know what i mean? even though its obviously a big problem for me at the moment. i wish there was some like breathing techniques or something, maybe i'll start meditating up in this ****
Quote by Graveworm
I have the same problem man, I figured out taht if I throw a quick "aaa" or "umm" in front it helps me get it out. And I work at a call center so it can be frustrating sometimes
"For whiter teeth......try a F*CKING toothbrush!"
Quote by Oguchi Onyewu
yea hopefully i get used to it, i dont want to spend money on a speech therpist just for a "speech block" you know what i mean? even though its obviously a big problem for me at the moment. i wish there was some like breathing techniques or something, maybe i'll start meditating up in this ****

Well it's better to get it treated than for it to get worse you know?

Quote by Duffman123

True story.
Just get a small tape recorder and just record a very calm and welcoming hello into it at home and then just play that over the phone at the beginning of your conversation and start talking. It may sound stupid but a friend of mine who was having nearly the exact same problem as you used it and he did great at his job for a year before he left.
Knock, Knock

Who's there?

I Fucked your sister
Quote by LiquidCourage8
Just get a small tape recorder and just record a very calm and welcoming hello into it at home and then just play that over the phone at the beginning of your conversation and start talking. It may sound stupid but a friend of mine who was having nearly the exact same problem as you used it and he did great at his job for a year before he left.

haha, that actually sounds pretty good. maybe i'll use batman
Quote by Graveworm
I would try the job out. The more you practice the easier it will get.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Just make sure the guys you work with don't get hold of whatever you play the message with.

Or you might start a conversation with something like Duke Nukem

'Eat Shit and Die'
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by Mazzakazza
I...I'd h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-elp you b-b-b-b-b-b-b-ut i have a spe-speec...speec...spee-speech bl-

No offense, but I myself find that in bad taste.

Talk it over with the manager. Ask them if they can help (recommend to a speech therapist or something).
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Fleabag
Just make sure the guys you work with don't get hold of whatever you play the message with.

Or you might start a conversation with something like Duke Nukem

'Eat Shit and Die'

haha duke nukem

"hello?"
"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum!"
Quote by Graveworm
idk, i knew someone who had a stuttering problem really badly, if anyone questioned him about it he would beat the living **** out of them, he was pretty badass, so yea get buff and beat the **** out of people
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Oguchi Onyewu
haha duke nukem

"hello?"
"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum!"

"Uh, hey."
"I'm gonna rip off your head, and **** down your neck."

Also, the guy who did the stutter joke, that wasn't funny. At all.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by Fuzzbox91
idk, i knew someone who had a stuttering problem really badly, if anyone questioned him about it he would beat the living **** out of them, he was pretty badass, so yea get buff and beat the **** out of people

Over the phone?
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Maybe try doing at self consciously as soon as you pick up the phone. Like in one step, pick up the phone and say hello. Try doing it so it becomes your second instinct when you answer the phone
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
I don't have a stutter, but I mumble when I talk. And sometimes I need to think out a sentence before I say it, or else it will all come out in the wrong order.

I say take the job. Ask your friends or family to help you by making practice phone calls. Tell them to ring you randomly during the day by surprise. And if you have an interview to do first, be as confident as you can.
Real men don't need sigs.
Quote by dgervin839
I don't have a stutter, but I mumble when I talk. And sometimes I need to think out a sentence before I say it, or else it will all come out in the wrong order.

I say take the job. Ask your friends or family to help you by making practice phone calls. Tell them to ring you randomly during the day by surprise. And if you have an interview to do first, be as confident as you can.

i actually did the interview last week, and im just waiting for my drug test results. when im talking to someone im fine. it only happens on the phone, i think its because i have to say "hello". you know, theres no other way around it. and i probably focus too much on that word that stresses me out and makes the speech blocked. but anyway the boss called me today, i thought it was gonna be about my drug test, but thats when she offered me the job that dealt with the phones.

and now that i think of it, the job i applied for is $8/hr. this job with the phones is $13/hr. so **** it, if i stutter, whatever, the paycheck will make it worth it
Quote by Graveworm
Oh, I have the EXACT same problem. I have discovered that if you whisper the word to yourself beforehand(I have no such block when whispering), it sort of...removes the block. Not 100% guaranteed, though, not even for me, but it does help a lot.
Quote by jetfuel495

...holy **** the biggest ****ing golf cart ever just rolled past my backyard... i **** u not