I'm building my own guitar, what wood should I use in on the fretboard and for the neck.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
well, what body wood is it made of? you can always do

1. maple necks with ebony, rosewood or maple fretboards
2. mahogany neck with ebony or rosewood fretboard
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
fretboard - ebony, rosewood, maple. Those are the norm. You could use other wood like bloodwood, wenge, bocote, etc.

neck - mahogany, wenge, maple

make sure you use hard maple. soft maple will bend too easily.

now, a question back at everyone else... sapele is in the mahogany family... could that be used as a neck wood instead of mahogany? I was just curious... sapele is really inexpensive by me... 5 bucks a board foot. Mahogany is like twice the price if not more.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Not sure on any of the wood but I'll probably just stick with one of those or something.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

now, a question back at everyone else... sapele is in the mahogany family... could that be used as a neck wood instead of mahogany? I was just curious... sapele is really inexpensive by me... 5 bucks a board foot. Mahogany is like twice the price if not more.

No idea, but if it's that cheap you may as well try it and find out.

Hendrix - check out warmoth, they have a very good guide to tonewoods
Sapele is very much like mahogany but i'm unsure if it's similar in strength. I'm sure laminate strips would work but I wouldn't want to scrap hours of work, a good fretboard, frewire, inlay, etc trying to find out if it'll hold up to string tension.

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
fretboard - ebony, rosewood, maple. Those are the norm. You could use other wood like bloodwood, wenge, bocote, etc.

neck - mahogany, wenge, maple

make sure you use hard maple. soft maple will bend too easily.

Where do you go? I get 8/4 Mahogany for under 6 bucks a BF.
i live in new jersey. it's hard to come by around here so they stick you with a premium on it. i've tried a couple different lumber yards and none of them have any.

sapele smells nice when you work it, anyway

Edit:

I looked up janka hardness of mahogany and sapele... the two mahogany species on the list were 3.7 janka while sapele is 6.8 with almost twice the force resistance. on the janka scale it was actually close to hard maple... interesting...

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jul 28, 2008,
Hey hendrix, if you are not an experienced guitar builder, then you really ought to get a book about it. I did for my build and it really helped.

Also, keep us posted with lots of pics from your build, and always ask lots of questions! Especialy when painting, it can be difficult, even if you are experienced with the method.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^ i disagree.

i found more information on projectguitar.com, buildyourguitar.com and stewmac.com than i did in the Melvin Hiscock book - which is supposed to be "the bible" of guitar building books. Personally, I thought it sucked. The first build, while pretty detailed, lacked a lot of details. The second and third builds didnt show color pictures of the finished product... actually, I dont think the 8 string bass he made was ever shown as a finished product at all. There were a few bits of information that were useful but not worth $30usd.

I learned more searching and scouring the internet and plain old trial and error... the UG forum has been a big help too. I may not be 100% pro, but I know a lot more than I did 5 months ago... Hell, back in february I had no idea how to use a router.