I currently have a cheap Crate 15w amp I bought for $100. I have a friend who wants to buy it of me so I figured this could be a good time to upgrade a bit to a better quality amp. However I am not looking to spend $500+ on an amp so here is my question. Anyone have any suggestions on a better quality amp but will only cost me maybe $200-$250??

My original thoughs were:

Line 6

Rolland Cube

Thanks.
get the Cube 15x. it's excellent. its included distortions are pretty awesome and it is built like a tank.
for 250-300 you could get a tube amp. check out the valve jr. and the blackheart series.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Out of those 2, the cube for sure.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
But if you want to play metal on valve then you have to buy pedal and increases cost
go for it, the roland 20x rocks! the distortion is awesome and i like its clean channel as well
the 15x and 20x lack a lot of the features of the other cubes. You'd be better off with either the 30 (or 30x - the 30x just has about 3 extra things which aren't really that essential/useful) or the microcube.

Also what style(s) of music do you play?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
well I am new to guitar, as I said I am just upgrading cus a friend will take my crate off my hands but when I practice I guess I'd be more rock, nothing heavy and I don't go crazy with distortion. I want to play Audioslave as much as I want to play Dylan :P
you can get a used peavey tube amp from the early 80s, 2 chan, for $250 or so usd ... they go about 130 watts and are just loud as sin ... plenty of power, good reverb, and tubes really make a difference ...

just my humble opinion tho but if you can, tubes are definitely the way to go
take care,
cormac

"The sea was red and the sky was grey
"Wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today"
-- zep
the cubes only have amp modelling after the 15 or 20...or get the microcube

EDIT: palomino V18 is like 330USD and will last you FAR longer than the cube
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Why dont you try a Fender Champ XD I think personally there very nice sounding and cheap amps.... It has modelling but from what I understand the 12AX7 has the dsp run through it, keeping it virtually a full valve amp on 6v6's.. Anyhow I bought one to practise / do small gigs with and I find it very nice to play... and at £200 a bargain
Quote by Blompcube
the 15x and 20x lack a lot of the features of the other cubes. You'd be better off with either the 30 (or 30x - the 30x just has about 3 extra things which aren't really that essential/useful) or the microcube.

+ a big, fat 1

Skip the 15 and 20. If you go for the Cube, the Microcube or the 30 is the way to go.

Quote by Slipstream_mike
well I am new to guitar, as I said I am just upgrading cus a friend will take my crate off my hands but when I practice I guess I'd be more rock, nothing heavy and I don't go crazy with distortion. I want to play Audioslave as much as I want to play Dylan :P

For your styles, you may prefer the Vox AD30VT. It's a little warmer sounding to me, a little more "tubey" than the Cubes. Probably better for your more mellow stuff.

I also agree about going for a small tube amp. The little Blackheart or Crate V8 might be a good choice. A 5W tube amp can sound nearly as loud as a 30W solid state amp, so don't let the wattage fool you. And if you're willing to buy used (which I'd recommend), a whole bunch of options will open up.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Why would you recommend buying used? I was under the assumption that tube amps can wear over use??

yes I know nothing about this..sorry..
Quote by johntb
Why dont you try a Fender Champ XD I think personally there very nice sounding and cheap amps.... It has modelling but from what I understand the 12AX7 has the dsp run through it, keeping it virtually a full valve amp on 6v6's.. Anyhow I bought one to practise / do small gigs with and I find it very nice to play... and at £200 a bargain

OPINION VOID

sorry, its $400 anyway

the actual tubes can wear over 3-5 years depending on usage, 'cept from that, theyre much simpler than SS amps and as long as you play before you buy and treat it well you should be ok
will check out some used ones around here, I was also confused when I see 5w.. My current one is 15 and I didn't know a 5 can sound as good or better than a 15. I really appreciate the help, I am learning a lot!!
yea tubes amplify more frequencies and are percieved as louder

thats it roughly

5w amps are loud but tend to be limited feature-wise, hardly any have a 3 band EQ and i dont think i've seen one with reverb. except the laney lionheart, but thats crazeh-moneh

im still rooting for the palomino V18
Quote by Slipstream_mike
Why would you recommend buying used? I was under the assumption that tube amps can wear over use??

Because they're a better value. You should be able to find near mint condition used amps for about 2/3 the price of a new one. I buy practically all of my stuff used.

Everything wears out over time. The difference with tube amps is that when something goes wrong, it's usually a tube. You replace it, and you're on your way. With a SS amp, if something goes wrong it generally becomes an overpriced doorstop.

Quote by Slipstream_mike
will check out some used ones around here, I was also confused when I see 5w.. My current one is 15 and I didn't know a 5 can sound as good or better than a 15. I really appreciate the help, I am learning a lot!!

5W tube will be louder than your current amp, and will sound a lot nicer depending on the speaker you decide to go with. The little stacks with their 12" speakers are real nice. A 15W tube amp will provide you with enough power for small gigs. Again, if you go used, you might be able to find a Palomino V16 or the like within your budget range. I got one of those for my son a year ago, and he's played his school auditorium with it -unmic'd- and rocked the house.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
15x is better than the micro if you don't care about the other effects other than distortion.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Peavey 5150, Ultra, Triple X all are gonna be good for metal and great for what your looking for...

$200-250?
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
$200-250?

Opps misread his post.. thought his max was $500... Either way $200 bucks more and he is in that ballpark... Should save up and get something actually worth purchasing.... And sometimes you can find the Ultra as low as $250...