ive been learning the second comfortably numb solo but im finding great difficulty in accurately bending the strings to the required notes. does anyone else have this problem with gilmours solos? and is there anything i can do to improve on my bending?
first off id like to say is thank god your learning a song from an actual good guitarist. Gilmour rocks. as for the bending problem i dont know, check to see if you have the right tab and what not. the only think i can think of.
gilmour is with out a doubt my favourite guitarist! id much rather struggle to learn his songs than try and learn an easier one! i think its a real achievement if you can play one of his solos well
Try to do harmnized bends
-------------------------
----5---------------------
----7b---------------------
If the are both the same note you bent the string up to the right pitch.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
A surefire way to improve your bending:

A) Play the note you are about to bend.
B) Play the note you are trying to bend up to (ie: the bend is at the tenth fret and it is a whole step bend up to the twelfth fret. Play a note at the twelfth fret 1st).
C) Now, with the note from "B" in your head, bend the note from "A" until it matches the pitch of "B." This will take practice. If it hurts, take a break, but don't give up.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
idk learn it by ear i guess. you should see marty friedmans bends.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
btw do u guys rekon that it will be much easier if i change my strings from size 10s to 9s?
You've got to keep your thumb hooked over the neck, bend with your ring finger with your middle and index tucked in right beside it for support. It's always worked for me. Nice to see kids out there still learning my songs.

^^ Nah, I've been using tens my whole life, I think that they're great for bending.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Quote by mightymanlet
btw do u guys rekon that it will be much easier if i change my strings from size 10s to 9s?

It may be a little easyer, but your tone will be affected.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
these guys are telling you how to bend to pitch but are you bending correctly? if your struggling to bend 10's changing to 9's wont necessarily make it any easier.... try using 2 or 3 fingers to push the bend? If your still unsure pop into your local guitar / music shop and simply ask I'm sure they will help especially considering you could be a future paying customer... thats what I do when I need help on somet...
Quote by Dave Gilmour
You've got to keep your thumb hooked over the neck, bend with your ring finger with your middle and index tucked in right beside it for support. It's always worked for me. Nice to see kids out there still learning my songs.

^^ Nah, I've been using tens my whole life, I think that they're great for bending.

ive just tried hooking my thumb over the neck and its working well , it deffinately alows me to reach the required pitch with ease . thnx
I'm in the process of learning this as well (it's awesome).

I use guitar rig 3's tuner as reference when I'm doing the bends (I'll bend up to what I think the note should be then check the tuner, adjust accordingly, and repeat). Good luck.