Im gonna trade in my Ibanez RG350DX today for a Fender Stratocaster MIM. I used to play metal alot more and the ibanez suited that. but, i also play classic rock and blues which the ibanez has no versatality. You think its a good idea? i can prob trade in Ibanez for 250-300 The strat is 300
Yeah, that's not a bad idea IMO.
EDIT: Ibanez RG's are versatile. Listen, just change out the pickups and you'll have exactly what you want.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 28, 2008,
That seems pretty cheap for a Fender Strat MIM so this is not a bad idea i suppose, but since when did Ibanez RGs have no versatility? I know mine is quite versatile.
Hagstrom Viking, Peavey XXX Super 40, Marshall 1960a Cab
its used but it sounds nice. but, my ibanez really is not good for clean its partially my bad amp as well, but i believe a strat is much more versatile? correct me if im wrong
Versatility comes alot with the player, as well as the amp, but yes I would say your better off with the strat. If your going to focus on classic rock and blues with a side of metal, then I imagine you will be quite happy with the strat.
Hmmm I suggest you just try out both of them and see which one you like more. As someone suggested earlier, a pickup change could make a huge difference in the RG.
However, I would think that both guitars you named can achieve all the styles your looking for, although a SSS Strat may be a bit more difficult for metal, but it can be done ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=NLdXZMzJJPc ).
Just try them out first.
Didn't you just create the same thread basically last night at 7pm?

350dx Fender MIM Strat....or something?

why two threads?

And personally, I would try to find an HSS for more versatility. I put a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge pos of my MIM strat and it rocks. I then use upper single coils for the bluesy or clean stuff.