I'm in a band that does pretty frequent gigs, but since the summer started, almost every single gig we get is a problem for my boss. It makes me constantly feel on edge when I'm there - should I feel guilty? I mean I still do a solid ten hours a week, and everyone is entitled to a life right?

So I'm just wondering, is work such a problem for my fellow UG giggers?
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Jul 28, 2008,
seeing the title i though you were talking about my band, our bass player's name is jon. the only person i know of that their job gets in the way of their music is my other guitar player in my band, he works up in wisconson all summer so my band can't play. but thats different. i really don't know anyone that their job gets in the way of playing gigs.
....when I read it I read "Does your joN get in the way of your music?"

and I thought you meant something to do with having to use the restroom.

so yes that does get in the way of practicing.

however my job does not, I can work around my schedule.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Sometimes when you get older you get to work straight days. Outside of that, work happens when you choose it to happen.

At first look, I was expecting something about p0rn or something,...

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
'Does your jon get in the way of your music?' Hmmmmm, hey guys, is a 'jon' still a nickname for a toilet in America?

Music is my job, along with a few other ventures.

Anyhow, 'a solid ten hours a week.' ?
To most people those are the hours that they put into a single working day.
A ten hour week only works out at about 2 hours a day, and it's interfering with your music?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 30, 2008,
10 hours a week...hahaha. I spent that much time at work *yesterday*. :P

Can you tell us how much time you spend, for example, on the Internet? I bet you could cut that down a little bit and practice more...

My job is interfering with my band, because I'm working in a different country at the moment. But 10 hours a week really shouldn't be a problem. Get up an hour earlier every day. Spend that time doing chores or whatever else would get in the way of band practices and so on. Woo, seven more hours to spend playing music.

Out of interest, is the job really worth doing if it's getting in the way of gigs, and you're only working 10 hours a day?
10 hours during term-time. I'm still in school trying to get four a-levels - that requires time.

During the summer I'm obviously doing far more hours at work. But the point still remains.
Quote by NaivexLi
I thought you meant something to do with having to use the restroom.

i thought the exact same

on topic, My job doesn't interfere with music as i'm working full time in an office but i used to work nights in a shop so had to book days off whenever my old band had a gig. it sucked
Technically, I invented sound

Quote by ckellingc
It's posts like this that make me wish I could post a picture of a vagina.
nope. We rehearse on Sundays, which I have off, and only play a gig a month at this stage, so it's very easy to work around. I can see it becoming an issue only if we do end up becoming a corporate/function band playing a few gigs a week.
i work 30 hours a week and never really have a problem with gigs or practicing.

i just let my boss know a week or two in advance for the gig, she's cool with it.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I work 50-60 hours a week and my job never gets in the way.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Tomaz24
10 hours during term-time. I'm still in school trying to get four a-levels - that requires time.

During the summer I'm obviously doing far more hours at work. But the point still remains.

Ahh, well in that case, it isn't actualy the job that's getting in the way of your music so much but your education.