I've been playing guitar for two years, but all of that has been on an acoustic. I'm looking to get into the electric arena.

I'm not wanting to spend more than $500 on the guitar itself, and looks are somewhat important: I want something smooth and clean in design. However, looks aren't as important as sound. I play a lot of blues and alternative music so I want something clean and strong. Any suggestions?

Some I've been looking at myself:
The classic Fender Stratocaster.
Epiphone Les Paul
Guitars:
Ibanez M310 (Flamed Maple body, Mahogany neck, Rosewood fretboard)
Fender Gemini I
Last edited by MayerMimic at Jul 28, 2008,
I gotta say go with the Les Paul. In my opinion it has more versatility, and a warmer sound. It can get the extremes better than a strat. It can go really heavy, and also have nice warm cleans. The strat has a much more twangy sound.
Why don't you just get the Standard HSS Strat (Fat Strat)? I'd say les paul, but i'm in it just for the looks of it and the HH configuration.... and i've already got a fender. If it's your first electric, i'd say the the Standard Fat Strat, it costs just as much as that one in your post, but more versatile. and also, i've heard nothing but good from them as a first electric. It would probably fit your style pretty well, too.

Is there anyway you can try them out?
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by TheBax
Why don't you just get the Standard HSS Strat (Fat Strat)? I'd say les paul, but i'm in it just for the looks of it and the HH configuration.... and i've already got a fender. If it's your first electric, i'd say the the Standard Fat Strat, it costs just as much as that one in your post, but more versatile. and also, i've heard nothing but good from them as a first electric. It would probably fit your style pretty well, too.

Is there anyway you can try them out?

I'm planning on taking a trip up to my local Guitar Center to play with them, but I'm looking to get some opinions first...

Fat Strat? I was under the impression that was more for heavy rock guitar...
Guitars:
Fender Gemini I
Well, since it has a humbucker, and single coils, it's really diverse... so it's not JUST one genre definately. And the Epiphone has two humbuckers in it... which give it that cruch sound, but since the HSS has a humbucker and two single coils in it, you can get some good rock sounds out of that humbucker, and maybe some bluesy stuff and good cleans out of those single coils. (like i said... diversity)

I'd recommend the fat strat for a first electric. But you should try them out when you go to GC.

The Epiphone has got that LP look that i, personally, love. But the strat is just really comfortable to play, and not to mention weighs less, too.

But yeah, just try them out.... and see what you like.

p.s. What about your amp situation....
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
Well, since it has a humbucker, and single coils, it's really diverse... so it's not JUST one genre definately. And the Epiphone has two humbuckers in it... which give it that cruch sound, but since the HSS has a humbucker and two single coils in it, you can get some good rock sounds out of that humbucker, and maybe some bluesy stuff and good cleans out of those single coils. (like i said... diversity)

I'd recommend the fat strat for a first electric. But you should try them out when you go to GC.

The Epiphone has got that LP look that i, personally, love. But the strat is just really comfortable to play, and not to mention weighs less, too.

But yeah, just try them out.... and see what you like.

p.s. What about your amp situation....

Well, some diversity would be nice. Good point. As far as body style, I'm leaning toward the Strat, simply because of its size and the way it curves. I'll have to see how the LP feels, though.

The amp situation is non-existent, I'll have to buy a good amp to go with the guitar. Nothing large, of course, just something to play at home and around.
Guitars:
Fender Gemini I
Does anyone have suggestions other than the Les Paul and the Stratocaster? I'm really open.
Guitars:
Fender Gemini I
Well, those are 2 really versatile guitars and can suit most styles from Iron Maiden to Metallica or Eric Clapton. I'm a strat fan because of how the guitar sits and plays, very clean.

Unfortunately I'm not terribly familiar with Ibanez unfortunately, but they would be good to look at, not sure about their cleans though. RG series Ibanez?

(I realize I'm not providing a horrible amount of information, sorry)

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

What about the Ibanez Artcore series? You should check them out when you go to GC. I've heard good things about them.
O O

___
I, too, am interested in a guitar < $500 like the OP, so keep the suggestions coming ! Also, does anyone know why the Epiphone Les Paul Standard (~2000) at Musician's Friend has so many more ratings (in volume) compared to the Fender Stratocaster MIM (~900) even though the Fender Stratocaster MIM is the better selling one?
Check out Agile guitars. Good stuff for little dough. Check out the AL-3000. It plays like a beast.