I have sparked in interest in maybe getting a pickup for my acoustic. I have looked throughout the electronic thread and various websites, but I haven't really found answers to my question:

What are the traits of pickups (sound hole, bridge, etc) and what goes well with certain body types?

For example, my Taylor GS8 is a big body, so it produces a very loud bassy sound, although the mids and his are good too. What would be an ideal pickup for this scenario?

I guess I just don't really know the differences between sound hole pickups and under the saddle pickups. Which are very versatile? I often use heavy strumming, but at other times I finger pick or play jazz without a pick. Any help is appreciated thanks.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
I prefer to mic up an acoustic guitar as opposed to pickups, it sounds much more natural.
Mics are great for recording, but usually they are impractical for playing live.

Anyways, the type of pickup truly does rely on what you are amplifying your sound with. All the pickup does is "pick-up" the signal either from the vibrating strings or the vibrating saddle or the vibrating soundboard. The style of the guitar has very little to do with what pickup you choose really.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
Mics are great for recording, but usually they are impractical for playing live.

I wouldn't say that. Just add in a noise suppressor to kill the feedback and I prefer a mic over pickups any day. Just my opinion though.