im also looking for one of these amps, would also like to know opinions on this please!
Me too Is it worth to pay more for it ? As an alternative for Epi Valve amps, with buying distoriton pedal obviously
Yeah Blackheart is also supposed to be coming out with the little ant but I still havent seen it
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Last edited by SG6578 at Jul 28, 2008,
Great little amp. If you use the search bar you'll find a bunch of threads on this amp recently. The main reason I bought it was because of everyone gushing about it here.
Quote by MrMateuszW
Me too Is it worth to pay more for it ? As an alternative for Epi Valve amps, with buying distoriton pedal obviously

This is yet another time when trying out the gear for yourself is necessary.

You definitely want to A/B these two amps because neither the Valve Junior nor the Little Giant are definitively "better" than the other. Many people, myself included, feel that the Valve Junior has "better" tone (although this could also be partially an issue of personal preference as the two amps are voiced differently), but the Little Giant DOES come with built in EQ controls straight out of the box, which is certainly a consideration. Also, if we're talking combos here as opposed to heads, you will need to take into account where you will be playing the amp, as the Valve Junior combo is only an 8 inch speaker while the Little Giant is a full 12 inch speaker.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by FourSticks17
This is yet another time when trying out the gear for yourself is necessary.

You definitely want to A/B these two amps because neither the Valve Junior nor the Little Giant are definitively "better" than the other. Many people, myself included, feel that the Valve Junior has "better" tone (although this could also be partially an issue of personal preference as the two amps are voiced differently), but the Little Giant DOES come with built in EQ controls straight out of the box, which is certainly a consideration. Also, if we're talking combos here as opposed to heads, you will need to take into account where you will be playing the amp, as the Valve Junior combo is only an 8 inch speaker while the Little Giant is a full 12 inch speaker.

so a 12 inch speaker is louder significantly than 8 inch?
Well, how loud the amp is int defined by the speaker I mean the bigger speaker is better, it provides better sound, and will not fart at higher volumes
the bigger speaker will spread the sound frequencies better i imagine, better low end an all. overall sound, not loudness.

i have yet to play an epi VJ but i imagine the blackheart's tone is just a tad more modern. but not so much that it wont handle classic rock LOL.

and yes i own one and finally got it back yesterday, been jammin' on it a lot. w/ my praise and worship band i don't have to turn it past half to play w/ the band but then again, the church is a smaller one and we're not playing heavy rock. but with the volume dimed on either channel it'll play w/ a drummer fine as long as they're not super heavy hitters. this amp is NOT made for metal!!! don't buy it to put a distortion pedal in front of it if you play more modern metal than anything else. an OD sounds great for making it thrashy and great for classic metal.

EQ is a nice add on and i love the 3/5 watt switch. EQ could be a tad more responsive but it still works fine. this amp is great for blues, rock, hard rock and classic metal. pretty much like a classic 30 but w/ a lot less cult following as it has not quite earned enough credibility due to the short amount of time being available.

and the 1 watt 'killer ant' head/combo amp sounds quite nice for those who have a really strict volume limit. if you're gonna get either and can afford to spend a whopping $30 more, get the head+cab, it does sound a lil better than the combo and slightly better headroom. not to mention you'll be able to match w/ different cabs later on

check the profile for sound clips.

thanks to esp1234 for giving a shout out to me, that's why i put clips on my profile, so that new guys to the amp could have at least one person to go to w/ a few sound clips. and yes....use the search bar b/c these amps have quite a few threads already
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
^^ 'Cept it sounds nothing like a Classic 30.

And a bigger speaker WILL be louder.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
the bigger speaker will spread the sound frequencies better i imagine, better low end an all. overall sound, not loudness.

i have yet to play an epi VJ but i imagine the blackheart's tone is just a tad more modern. but not so much that it wont handle classic rock LOL.

and yes i own one and finally got it back yesterday, been jammin' on it a lot. w/ my praise and worship band i don't have to turn it past half to play w/ the band but then again, the church is a smaller one and we're not playing heavy rock. but with the volume dimed on either channel it'll play w/ a drummer fine as long as they're not super heavy hitters. this amp is NOT made for metal!!! don't buy it to put a distortion pedal in front of it if you play more modern metal than anything else. an OD sounds great for making it thrashy and great for classic metal.

EQ is a nice add on and i love the 3/5 watt switch. EQ could be a tad more responsive but it still works fine. this amp is great for blues, rock, hard rock and classic metal. pretty much like a classic 30 but w/ a lot less cult following as it has not quite earned enough credibility due to the short amount of time being available.

and the 1 watt 'killer ant' head/combo amp sounds quite nice for those who have a really strict volume limit. if you're gonna get either and can afford to spend a whopping $30 more, get the head+cab, it does sound a lil better than the combo and slightly better headroom. not to mention you'll be able to match w/ different cabs later on

check the profile for sound clips.

thanks to esp1234 for giving a shout out to me, that's why i put clips on my profile, so that new guys to the amp could have at least one person to go to w/ a few sound clips. and yes....use the search bar b/c these amps have quite a few threads already

with an overdrive pedal like a digitech bad monkey--- can you also practice with it at bedroom quiet levels and still get some crunch-- very good review btw good clips too
^yes you can, and it should still sound good. not nearly as good as using the amp cranked but that's part of the reason you get an OD pedal, for cases where you can't crank it.

to mr. carrot,

i was implying that the voicings are the same and would be able to cover the range of tones a classic 30 could, vintage tone but still able to handle modern stuff. the el84s in the BH will give it a more fizzy overdriven tone, more like a vox.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^yes you can, and it should still sound good. not nearly as good as using the amp cranked but that's part of the reason you get an OD pedal, for cases where you can't crank it.

to mr. carrot,

i was implying that the voicings are the same and would be able to cover the range of tones a classic 30 could, vintage tone but still able to handle modern stuff. the el84s in the BH will give it a more fizzy overdriven tone, more like a vox.
The voicings aren't the same though. EL84 doesn't mean fizzy, that's just the amp. Voxes aren't fizzy.
well then you explain all the details since my ignorance is misleading people
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
well then you explain all the details since my ignorance is misleading people
Not the first time lololol
Quote by slash_rocks2005

to mr. carrot,

what tube would you recommend to replace it to have less fizzy?
They're pretty good. But, I haven't really tried an Epi VJ to compare though.
I'm really anxious for the killer ant though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I have it and love it. I won't go into depth but it's worth the money, but it only has a clean channell so you will need pedals, as I'm sure has been said. The 5 watt channel is pretty loud and can probably hold pretty good with a drummer (don't bring my tube amp around, don't want to hurt it).

Also sounds pretty good ith a bad monkey I guess, but to me the Bad Monkey is weak on it's own. I usually use it to boost signals, but it sounds good for some lighter songs.

Anyways, Enjoy.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
there's no tube to make it less fizzy. but don't assume that the fizzy i describe is bad. it's just how the tone is. as far as i know, you're not gonna find a mass produced 5 watt amp that doesn't have at least one or two things about it that keep it from being perfect, w/o paying close to the four digit mark.

go play one and get the best idea of the tone urself. that's my best suggestion. but i know that a JJ el84 paired with a tung-sol 12ax7 will make for quite a nice tone
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
There's a few youtube reviews which show the amp's potential really well. I suggest you check out those.

They are nice amps though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i believe the amp was at noon.