Yeah, I'm sure this has been posted a lot so sorry for the repetitiveness. I've always played an acoustic but lately I've been getting the urge to get an electric...so I need help with picking a reasonably priced, good first electric guitar. I want something that will be easy to make the transition from acoustic that I can just rock out with on my own or possibly jam with some people. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
how much are you looking to spend
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
1. What kind of music do you play? 2. What is your budget?
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
try a fender stratocaster, its a reasonable price guitar and its a guitar with a clean sound, later you can buy an epiphone or something, how much money do u want to spend?
Budget? Genre of playing?
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
if you are willing to spen about 500 dollars i would go with an epiphone les paul standerd but if youre looking at spending closer to 150 or 200 get an epi sg speacial if you play hard rock or metal but if you play cleaner music go with a squire strat i have both but don't play them much now i play a nice jackson the sg is good for the $ i thout the squire sucked
I think I want to spend around $500 and I'm looking to play mainly hard rock but would like something with some versatility that lends itself to more than one musical style.
I would suggest an epiphone les paul standard then.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard BlueBurst
What amp do you have?
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
it costs 600 bucks, but i would recomend a PRS SE Custom

it looks really bad ass, and the fret board feels like butter
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm about 5' 4" and have slightly furry feet.....I'm not going in a ****ing volcano though...

I love the Foo's!

GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!
Quote by mouy17
I think I want to spend around $500 and I'm looking to play mainly hard rock but would like something with some versatility that lends itself to more than one musical style.

Do you have an amp? Would that 500 be for the guitar only or both?
I was thinking 500 just for the guitar...no I do not own an amp but obviously need to get that as well- what is the price range for that? (Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone by the way =) )
if you're willing to spend $500 on the guitar, you should probably spend something similar on the amp.

however, if you're after versatility, and considering you're only starting out on elextric, you could do a lot worse than a roland microcube or cube 30 (avoid the 15 and 20 as they don't have amp models), or vox valvetronix. I think they're between $100-$300, depending on model.

a yamaha pacifica 112v is a really nice starter guitar, and very versatile. It's $200. That'd allow you to spend more on your amp; however, if you want to spend more on the guitar, i'd probably get a higher model pacifica, a 412 or 612. godins can be quite nice too, if they're under your budget.

basically, you need to decide what your total budget is (i.e. for both guitar and amp, and any other accessories), how flexible that is (if, for example, there's something which is much better for an extra $50, are you willing to stretch to it?), and then start trying cheaper guitars with more expensive amps, more expensive guitars with cheaper amps, and both at the same price (total budget divided by 2), to see which you prefer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by powersamped
I would suggest an epiphone les paul standard with a pickup change then.

fix'd
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks everyone...I think I have some hands-on testing to do with all the suggested guitars and amps...=)