Im wanting to learn metal I want to know the best DVD or book to get as my teacher is not cooperating at this time.
before spending money on DVD's look up some videos on youtube
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
just learn a few songs from each of your faveorite metal bands.

then isolate the techniques your having trouble with, and work on them individually.
i recommend metal method i have watched clips on youtube and it looks great
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
well i recommend listening to as many different types of metal you can like progressive, death, black, thrash. Then try some jazz because that's where most of the metal riffs come from. Also look into Guitar World magazine's monthly dvd lessons.
Learn metal songs.

And by you stating your teacher is not cooperating, what exactly do you mean?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Ditch your teacher. If he wont teach you what you want to learn then what the hell are you paying him for?

As far as learning goes just learn songs by your favourite metal bands and pick out techniques that you like and use them in your own playing.
Sig What?
don't learn songs from new metal bands. not only are the more technical than some old thrash metal, it sounds like shi t. learn some easy old megadeth songs or metallica songs(kill em'all album).

megadeth- (minus solos unless you feel you are ready)
symphony of destruction
peace sells
in my darkest hour

metallica-
no remorse
motorbreath
master of puppets(way easier than it sounds)
Well I go to the Paul Green School Of Rock and Im on the Who show.
So he wants me learning Who songs that im on (already memorized) and I want to learn metal. He wants me to perfect my songs and I understand that but I really want to learn metal so Im going this route.
Quote by Vastros
So he wants me learning Who songs that im on (already memorized) and I want to learn metal. He wants me to perfect my songs and I understand that but I really want to learn metal so Im going this route.

Wait a second, are you doing a Who cover gig or something?

Well, anyways, why not learn metal songs by yourself? Just leave the Who stuff for your lessons and focus on learning metal at home. You don't need a teacher to teach you songs, just to learn theory and how to play.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
john petrucci's dvd?

i don't remember what its called, but i've seen some of it, it's good
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm about 5' 4" and have slightly furry feet.....I'm not going in a ****ing volcano though...

I love the Foo's!

GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!
Quote by Vastros

How long have you been playing?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
johns DVD is called rock discipline
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
here is an explanation of the Paul Green School Of Rock:

Its an after school program for ages 5-18 (im 17) that does 45 minute lessons for instruments a week and then a 3 hour band practice. The band practice is for a certain show, of which there are normally three at a time. Last season (seasons last 3 months) Was Rolling Stones (I was on) and then there was Southern Rock, and Guns N Roses VS Motley Crue.

This season we are doing The Who (Im on), Classic Metal (I wanted to be on =[ ) and Cream of Clapton. So bassicly at the end of the seasons we perform at rock venues like bars and night clubs.

So im on the who and Their songs I gotta learn are easy. Im lead guitar for Squeeze box, and Lead Guitar for I cant explain. I sing pinball wizard and I sing who are you.

Anyone who lives in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area of MN should come see it! I can give dates and times when we know them.

And to answer the question on how long ive played, a little more than 2 years, but I only delved into blues and classic rock.
Quote by Vastros
here is an explanation of the Paul Green School Of Rock:

Its an after school program for ages 5-18 (im 17) that does 45 minute lessons for instruments a week and then a 3 hour band practice. The band practice is for a certain show, of which there are normally three at a time. Last season (seasons last 3 months) Was Rolling Stones (I was on) and then there was Southern Rock, and Guns N Roses VS Motley Crue.

This season we are doing The Who (Im on), Classic Metal (I wanted to be on =[ ) and Cream of Clapton. So bassicly at the end of the seasons we perform at rock venues like bars and night clubs.

So im on the who and Their songs I gotta learn are easy. Im lead guitar for Squeeze box, and Lead Guitar for I cant explain. I sing pinball wizard and I sing who are you.

Anyone who lives in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area of MN should come see it! I can give dates and times when we know them.

And to answer the question on how long ive played, a little more than 2 years, but I only delved into blues and classic rock.

Wow! That is really awesome sounding! I wish I had something like that in high school.

I would say just learn a few of your favorite metal songs and when you come to a technique you aren't good at practice it. Maybe see if you can pop in on a few of the classic metal band practices. Good luck.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Learning Who songs will be far more valuable than you realise - Pete Townshend is an awesome rhythm guitarist and a master of using powerchords.

Like people have said though, there's nothing to stop you learning metal songs on your own, a teacher is only there to teach you how to play, not what to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Black sabbath has a lot of great metal songs, and zeppelin to, if you want to learn the history of metal, start with them
Quote by valennic
Learn metal songs.

This is the way to go. A teacher would be great help, but if he doesn't want to teach you, then just learn some simple metal songs you like. That will help you get the technique down.
Try and find a teacher who teachers metal, that way somebody can tell if your technique is correct, etc. Also, learn songs. Grab some tabs, slow down with a metronome and build your speed up until you nail the riffs.
Learning Who songs will be far more valuable than you realise - Pete Townshend is an awesome rhythm guitarist and a master of using powerchords.

Like people have said though, there's nothing to stop you learning metal songs on your own, a teacher is only there to teach you how to play, not what to play.

+1

Learning some old Black Sabbath songs would be a great start. Since the music is still very blues-based, your classic rock & blues training would help you a lot.
The best way to learn metal is to listen to it.
No joke.
Your influences and what you listen to wil greaatly impact your playing
Quote by metulkult
The best way to learn metal is to listen to it.
No joke.
Your influences and what you listen to wil greaatly impact your playing

Very true, I love Slash's playing, and I think its why my playing is the way it is. Same with the Rolling Stones
Quote by Vastros
Very true, I love Slash's playing, and I think its why my playing is the way it is. Same with the Rolling Stones

then what you need to do is first listen to metal. if you like it, then its your style.
start from the roots. black sabbath, rainbow, dio, iron maiden, iron maiden, ozzy. anything from 1982 and below, thats what you need to start with, getting the classics down. then move up when you got it down to some post 1983 stuff, metallica, megadeth, anthrax, mostly thrash stuff you need to get down, it will also greatly improve your picking ability up learning stuff like mechanix, masterof puppets, crazy train, stuff ike that with 0's to power chords or anything really.

then if you think youve gotten the speed issue down, dig innto the stuff you really like.
protest the hero is a great band if you ewant to learn songs and master different techniques such as ssweep picking, tapping, exotic picking, and anything and everything inbetween.
yeah, im trying to learn Run To The Hills because my band wants to cover it, as well as Enter Sandman.

Enter the Sandman Im having little problems with, but havent tackled the solo yet. Run to the Hills has me completely lost =(
Quote by ironman1478
don't learn songs from new metal bands. not only are the more technical than some old thrash metal, it sounds like shi t. learn some easy old megadeth songs or metallica songs(kill em'all album).

megadeth- (minus solos unless you feel you are ready)
symphony of destruction
peace sells
in my darkest hour

metallica-
no remorse
motorbreath
master of puppets(way easier than it sounds)

yes jackass your right, metallica is DEFINATLY more technical than Nile, Braindrill, or Gorguts...

Im not hating on metallica or any old school trash bands but what your saying about old thrash bands being the best and no new bands being good or technical, either your completly ****ing retarted or just ignorant.

Anyways, for TS those songs he recommended arnt bad at all to learn so go for it.
rl]
Ok, It's kinda easy for most metal. Modern metal, at least.

Drop D makes it a load easier. The majority of new metal songs are in this tuning. Power chords with one 1 finger makes it easy to slide chords, as well as move between them.

Distortion. Obviously, you want it up. Maxed normally, for some songs, about 75%.

Speed. It's what new metal is all about. Whoever plays the fastest is the best in this age. In my opinion, I like Joe Satriani (Far from metal, but his skills are amazing.). He plays fast as well as makes it sound good. Most metal bands sacrifice quality for speed. Practice with daily exercises. Play scales as fast as you can WITHOUT MESSING UP. Do this for about a half hour a day to build speed.
Best way to learn metal? Learn about the top five most technical songs of every genre you can think of, then meld them together, multiply the tempo by atleast 666 and throw br00talz distortion and uBer gain into the mix.

. No, actually the best way to learn how to play metal would be to start out with some older metal, Sabboth, Maiden, etc are all good.