Page 1 of 4
So guys and gals, I know there's some of you who love these tough little boxes. From the ubiqiutous Dynacomp, the crunchy distortion plus, to the wacked out Blue Box, the rich, warm Carbon Copy, and workhorse 10 Band EQ, MXR makes some killer stuff. Come here, show appreciation, ask for reviews (for potential buyers), share settings, mods; etc.

Starting......NOW!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Own the Famous Ten band MXR108 and love it... Best EQ Pedal on the market..

Used to own a MXR Distortion + and had fun modding it... Wasnt much of a distortion but after modding it the thing was one hell of a OD pedal. But got bored with it and traded it with my modified tube screamer for some other stuff..
What mods did you do on the Dist +?

I use mine as more of that breaking up fuzzy distortion. It's pretty sweet on some of the more wall of sound esque ambient stuff. I also like it on some of the softer songs we play in Written In Red.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I'm thinkin about buying the 6band EQ...is it anywhere near as good as the 10band?
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by Bloodshed
What mods did you do on the Dist +?

I use mine as more of that breaking up fuzzy distortion. It's pretty sweet on some of the more wall of sound esque ambient stuff. I also like it on some of the softer songs we play in Written In Red.

Changed the volume pot to 500k, added yellow power on led (cosmetic) and took the diodes out and replaced them with yellow leds for the clipping circuit.

It was smooth for classic rock distortion reminded me an old rat.. But it wasnt my cup of tea... On the OD side of things it had a ton of level and made for a really nice clean boost with gain 0 and level 10.
Quote by beadhangingOne
I've always wondered what the difference was between the phase 90 and the phase 90 evh edition. Anyone?

There's not much, the script switch changes from the regular phase 90 to a more vintage one. It's generally not worth it unless you can get it used for the same price as regular one.

I own a phase 90 and love it, it's very clear and natural sounding, not digital like others.

I just ordered the 10 band eq and it should be here soon!
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
I almost bought the Phase 90, but liked the EHX Small Stone more. Still, I wouldn't mind having a Phase 90 as they are both different sound phasers.

I might try some of those mods, but I don't wann lose the fuzz like qualities of higher settings.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I own an MXR 10-band EQ, and I suggest this to anyone with an FX loop. No questions. I don't care what kind of amp you have, get an EQ for your loop.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Love the distortion +. my brother owns it, so it is stock, but it still sounds really good. You can pick up one used cheaper than a DS-1, therfore, no one should ever again buy a ds1.
Quote by Bloodshed
I almost bought the Phase 90, but liked the EHX Small Stone more. Still, I wouldn't mind having a Phase 90 as they are both different sound phasers.

I might try some of those mods, but I don't wann lose the fuzz like qualities of higher settings.

The Fuzz was still there, it was a tad bit smoother but still very aparent... Its an easy pedal to work on and everything is attached to the PCB so testing it out of the box is super easy so you can test it on the fly. Unplug, solder, plugin, test, unplug, solder and test again within seconds... Give it hell till you find the right combo...
the 10 band EQ is the most marvelous pedal on the market. if you dont have one, get one.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by MorgMetal_666
There's not much, the script switch changes from the regular phase 90 to a more vintage one. It's generally not worth it unless you can get it used for the same price as regular one.

I own a phase 90 and love it, it's very clear and natural sounding, not digital like others.

I just ordered the 10 band eq and it should be here soon!

I just picked up the EVH phaser, & the script switch really is pretty close to the original unit's tone-wise. I'd gladly pay full pop for the new version (try & find a genuine vintage script logo phaser at ANY price. They're just not out there for sale)!
I had my setup getting virtually the EXACT VH1 tone (I play a ton of VH covers), but I didn't like the sound of any of the available phasers, so I just played without one (just couldn't do Atomic Punk live). With the new unit, it sounds absolutely dead on.
BTW-I agree w/ all these guys about the 10-band EQ. I have one of the old 115V plug-in ones from the late 70s, as well a plug-in '78 flanger, & the 10-band is TEH
SH!T.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Phase 90 and soon to have a 10 band EQ.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
I own the Dynacomp and the ZW-44 OD pedal. The Dyancomp is a good compressor, but it adds a lot of static noise. The ZW-44 is a good OD, tightens up the bass well and is very good at pushing the tubes.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
You guys do know that the dist+ and DOD OD250 are essentailly the same exact circuit?
So they're both basically overdrive pedals.

Oh yeah, i have the MXR chorus. Amazing sounds come out out of it, but it would be nice if the bypass was better.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by kool98769
Oh yeah, i have the MXR chorus. Amazing sounds come out out of it, but it would be nice if the bypass was better.

I'm thinking about getting one of those, only if it's cheap though.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
Quote by MorgMetal_666
I'm thinking about getting one of those, only if it's cheap though.

They're like 160...
:p
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I own a Carbon Copy and a block logo Phase 90 that I did the R28 mod to. I love the Carbon Copy, but I'm looking to sell the Phase 90 in order to upgrade to a '74 Script Reissue Phase 90.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
so does the 6band EQ stand up to the 10band?
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker

The 10-band just gives you finer adjustment ability, which is better IMO. The 6-bands are still decent units, I just prefer the 10-band.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by HLrocker

Its less versatile, no volume or gain slider and your loosing 4 bands... I would save up and get the 10 band you cant go wrong with it and its a pedal you will have for life...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its less versatile, no volume or gain slider and your loosing 4 bands... I would save up and get the 10 band you cant go wrong with it and its a pedal you will have for life...

Very true.
Save up the extra, and you wont regret it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Very true.
Save up the extra, and you wont regret it.

I 100% agree.
this is one pedal that will never leave your pedal board.

EDIT: The thread should be renamed "the MXR 10 band eq lounge"
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by riffhog
I just picked up the EVH phaser, & the script switch really is pretty close to the original unit's tone-wise. I'd gladly pay full pop for the new version (try & find a genuine vintage script logo phaser at ANY price. They're just not out there for sale)!
I had my setup getting virtually the EXACT VH1 tone (I play a ton of VH covers), but I didn't like the sound of any of the available phasers, so I just played without one (just couldn't do Atomic Punk live). With the new unit, it sounds absolutely dead on.
BTW-I agree w/ all these guys about the 10-band EQ. I have one of the old 115V plug-in ones from the late 70s, as well a plug-in '78 flanger, & the 10-band is TEH
SH!T.

You have gotta post some videos!
I just bought a carbon copy and so far its pretty good. Going to mess around with it more tomorrow.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by kool98769
You guys do know that the dist+ and DOD OD250 are essentailly the same exact circuit?
So they're both basically overdrive pedals.

Yes I know this. The OD250 has less of the fuzz qualities that the Dist+ has tho. And I love that sound. I have enough overdrive on my board
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by sg622
I 100% agree.
this is one pedal that will never leave your pedal board.

EDIT: The thread should be renamed "the MXR 10 band eq lounge"

But I don't have one yet Besides, I think I'm gonna buy a rackmount EQ
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
This thread was recently posted in a stickied thread about gear. This thread has lots of potential to grow as lots of MXR stuff finds its way onto y'alls boards. I feel bad for neglecting it.

That being said, anyone have the MXR Flanger? How does it compare to say an Electric Mistress. Also is everyone still in love with their Carbon Copys?

Also, Monte Allums has a KILLER Dynacomp mod worth looking into for you guys
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Would the dist. + be a good pedal to get a nice chunky rock tone, and then get boosted by a tube screamer for even more gain?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I'm glad I found this thread!

I have the WONDROUS 10-band EQ pedal, and I really want either the flanger or chorus...and I might get the EVH phase 90. I really love MXR's modulation effects more than other brands, although EHX is a pretty damned close second.

Are the Smart Gate and the Super Comp pedals any good? I have yet to try them out, but I'm intrigued by them.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
I have a carbon copy and i really love it. I used to have an echo park and the carbon copy is a better sounding delay IMO. The echo park was more like a jack of all trades, master of none. The CC is better at adding depth to my sound and the natural decay of the echo is amazing.
Quote by LP51122
Would the dist. + be a good pedal to get a nice chunky rock tone, and then get boosted by a tube screamer for even more gain?

I do this myself. The Dist + is a smoother sounding distortion than your run of the mill distortion box. I myself use it for indie-ish parts as it cleans up nicely too. I always boost upfront with my tube screamer and it sounds great
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by Idiosyncracy
I'm glad I found this thread!

I have the WONDROUS 10-band EQ pedal, and I really want either the flanger or chorus...and I might get the EVH phase 90. I really love MXR's modulation effects more than other brands, although EHX is a pretty damned close second.

Are the Smart Gate and the Super Comp pedals any good? I have yet to try them out, but I'm intrigued by them.

The Smart Gate is a sweet piece. AndyRevenge uses one on here I beleive.

The Super Comp seems nice, but I think my Dyna Comp is good enough for me. I can't really get a bad setting on it, except for cranking both knobs all the way up. Helps get those spanky cleans though
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I was thinking of building a Distortion Plus. How much gain does this have? Im looking for a mid-high gain pedal. Enough distortion for thrash. What are it weak points? I've heard it has weak sounding treble controls.

Thanks.
I just bought a ten band and the LEDs don't work. I hope all MXRs aren't like this. It isn't as special as people say it is to be honest.
Quote by riffhog
The 10-band just gives you finer adjustment ability, which is better IMO. The 6-bands are still decent units, I just prefer the 10-band.

Don't forget the 6 band can boost and cut 18db, wheras the ten band can only do 15db.
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 14, 2008,
I have the MXR 10band. I absolutely love it. I take it with me everywhere I go with a guitar.

Highly recommended.

However, the "Jimi Hendrix Systems" Octave Fuzz box, which costs around £180 new here in the UK, is nowhere worth that kind of money.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I have a phase 90 and I love it. I had the CC for a while, but then I traded it for an EHX DMM. The CC is really good though, I highly recommend it.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Page 1 of 4