Page 1 of 3
As the title. Mogwai!

Anybody else than me looking forward to the new album September the 22nd ?

"The Sun Smells Too Loud" is already on their myspace site. It sounds okay, definitely not a bad song.Also, I read on their site that the album will spin 63 minutes, so that's also cool, I hope

/Peace out
I absolutely adore Mogwai, been listening to them loads recently. I bought the new remastered version of Mogwai Young Team a few weeks back, it's most definitely worth the purchase!

If it's 63 minutes I imagine it won't be too similar to Happy Songs... or Mr Beast, both of which were quite short and concise albums, so I imagine it will be a return to their 'post-rock wall of noise' days from the first few albums in places.

Having said that, I haven't decided whether or not I like The Sun Smells Too Loud yet.

(I've just figured out the riff from Mogwai Fear Satan, I'll have to tab it out, it's a good one to loop then build up on)
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
I know i am =D

but more than that, im lookin forward 2 seeing them live at London in October! Should/will be amazing =D
I just can't get into them. Ok, Hunted By a Freak is a masterpiece and there a few others I'll listen to but for the most part they are dare I say boring.
Quote by WithinYou
who are they? what style? what songs/albums should i start with?

They're a Glaswegian band consisting of Stuart Braithwaite, Dom Atkinson, Barry Burns, Martin McCulloch and John Cummings. They play post-rock. Album depends on what you're after - Rock Action, Happy Songs For Happy People and Mr Beast are quite lush, melodic and orchestrated, Young Team and Come On Die Young alternate between being very sparse and ambient and an almighty wall of death noise.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
If they go back to their Come On Die Young sound, I will be happy.
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. --Alfred E. Wiggam
batcat is going to be one of my favorites, i can tell from that video.

EDIT: there's already a thread dedicated to Mogwai...

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572212&highlight=mogwai
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
Last edited by -BlackZeppelin- at Aug 27, 2008,
Just got into them, I started with "Happy Songs For Happy People". Anyone know a good place to go from there?

I'm seeing them September 13th
Any of their other albums really, they're all good. Rock Action and Mr Beast are the most similar to Happy Songs.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by aggiefan33
ok thanks, i'll go with Mr. Beast.

Mr. Beast is my least favorite album by them, by far. I'd go with either CODY or Young Team.. those are their best, IMO.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Mr. Beast is my least favorite album by them, by far. I'd go with either CODY or Young Team.. those are their best, IMO.

I think I'd be inclined to agree actually, although I've got a major thing for Rock Action at the moment, especially Secret Pint - beautiful song.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by uhh_me?
i don't get why people hate on Mr Beast...i think it is really solid.

because they just want to hate on anything that isn't young team. mr beast is probably one of my favorite mogwai albums, it showed they tried exploring new ideas.

since this is the new mogwai thread now, so i'll mention that i got the bobcat ep yesterday.
Well I'm loving the Batcat EP, it goes from almost metal in Batcat itself to beautiful shoegaze in Devil Rides. And 'Stupid Prick Gets Chased By The Police Then Loses His Slut Girlfriend' is a fantastic song name even by Mogwai standards.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

A bit disappointed with the Batcat EP, but Batcat the song is awesome. I hope the new album is more like older Mogwai, as much as I enjoy stuff from 'Happy Songs...' onwards. They did a few shows were they just played Young Team so hopefully it's influenced the new album a bit.
I just saw them live last month, it was actually pretty cool!
Gear :
Fender Stratocaster Made in Mexico

Amps :
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Marshall Lead 20
Fender Performer 1000

Only have Happy Songs meself, but it'as a masterpiece. And gotta say I agree with bth Cody and Secret Pint being some of their best tunes

Also might be going to see them October 21st or 22nd, can't remember now.

And The Sun Smells Too Loud is bloody gorgeous ...
Last edited by SugarRush66 at Sep 15, 2008,
You guys, I've pre-downloaded the entire THIH album and, let me say, look out for I Love You I'm Going To Blow Up Your School, I'm Jim Morrison I'm Dead, The Precipice, Scotland's Shame, and Thank You Space Expert off the new album...

They are amazing songs!! This is a completely new style for Mogwai, this new album... and I fucking love it! It's beautiful!
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
You guys, I've pre-downloaded the entire THIH album and, let me say, look out for I Love You I'm Going To Blow Up Your School, I'm Jim Morrison I'm Dead, The Precipice, Scotland's Shame, and Thank You Space Expert off the new album...

They are amazing songs!! This is a completely new style for Mogwai, this new album... and I fucking love it! It's beautiful!

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up. I've had my copy preordered for a while now. The urge to search for a leaked version is hard to resist!
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
Sounds good, thanks for the heads up. I've had my copy preordered for a while now. The urge to search for a leaked version is hard to resist!

*is addicted to Thank You Space Expert*

Fuck it, I'm addicted to the entire album!
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Brilliant band, I have a feeling a UGer introduced me too them. They take up the majority of my ipod really, I'd love to see them.
ha, i saw that spin totally tried to advertise some article they wrote by posting a comment on the band's myspace.

spin is a joke.
they have nice pictures. earlier today i discussed this with some girl that i was helping train for the radio. we agreed that spin has nice pictures and meh writing, rolling stone is a rag, and that cokemachineglow is the worst website ever.

going to listen to Batcat in about 15 minutes. hopefully i am not let down, TVOTR already kind of did that today.
New album came today. Going to give it a proper listen tomorrow at work. Anyone else got it yet?
picked it up today^
it's fantastic so far.

i'm listening to the sun smells too loud at the moment.
it's all good.
Batcat is ok. i haven't heard The Hawk Is Howling yet...maybe by the end of this week? i dunno.
I really like the new album. It feels like a mix of everything they've previously done and also some new stuff aswell. Some of it could've came straight off Come On Die Young, others would fit well on Mr Beast.

Really good album. Kudos to Mogwai for not selling out *cough*Sigur Ros*cough*.
hahah sigur ros sellouts??

well I've never gotten into any other albums mogwai's released and pitchfork gave it a 4.5 but well its pitchfork sooo...I'm debating whether I should give this a listen. If its really that great should I go back and listen to some old ones then give this a listen?
Page 1 of 3
Recommended threads
mogwai?
tomathy
Last post:
by rabidguitarist
Mogwai
M.O.P
Last post:
by Novacane...
Mogwai
geoco_69