Ok, I went to my local guitar store today because I thought the action on my new "Guild GAD 40CE" acoustic guitar was to high. Anyhow, when I asked him what I could do he told me I could just losen or tighten a screw just inside the sound hole (adjust the truss rod) and in that way achieve either higher or lower action. He also told me that he could file down the thing in the bridge and in that way achieve a lower action. The second option would require a little extra work though so he recommended me to just adjust the truss rod.

So now I have gotten home and tried to adjust the truss rod to lowest possible without fret buzz. The difference wasn't as big as I had hoped for though. That leads to my question. If I let him file down the bridge thing, will I be able to get a lower action than I get by just adjusting the truss rod as it is now(in other means, is it worth the money letting him set it up for me)?

I know acoustic guitars should have a rather high action, but I love low action action guitars :P

Thanks in advance
u can do it yourself .. go to frets.com .. the truss rod is not necessarily to lower the action but it does .. sanding down your saddle would be to lower the action .. just go to frets.com and they will show you how to properly do it
take it easy man .. its just a thread
First -- never take advice from that shop again. That guy is a moron.

Second -- please educate yourself. Here is a tidbit:

Quote by frets.com

The single most common misconception is that truss rods are for adjusting action or intonation. While adjusting the truss rod does affect the playing action, that's a side effect and not the purpose for the adjustment. As a general rule, once the nut and truss rod are set, all action adjustment is done at the bridge, by raising or lowering the saddle. Intonation is affected by action, too, so correcting the action may improve intonation, but again, that's a side effect.

Read the full article here: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

Learn to adjust your action the correct way here: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/LowerAction/loweraction01.html

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
thanks for the answers. I'd sure try to file the saddle down myself, but since my dad bought it for me I'd rather not mess it up. Therefore I'll turn in the guitar tomorrow and tell him that he can do a full setup + file down the saddle. I think that a guitar that costs about 1200$ here in Sweden (yeah, I know the prices here are insane) is worth a professional setup for 30$.
Yeah, watch out with the advice from that guy, he got it all wrong. Roamingbard linked you to a really reliable site, so check it out.
Im pretty sure he knows what he's talking about. He has 24 years experience as a guy setting up guitars in a local band. I just think he thought I looked like a guy with little cash and wanted to lower my action on my first acoustic guitar, and that was the best he could come up with :p

I have let this guy set up my electric before and it worked wonders so I don't think I'll be disappointed. Strange thing though how a guy with that kind of experience give customers advice that are sort of wrong.

Well, thanks UG for the answers, this place is the only I can trust