I just got my M-Audio Audio Buddy Preamp. I know its not anything great but i needed it for phantom power. But it doesn't work! It powers on and everything but the phantom power switch doesn't work (the LED doesn't come on) and even using the high impedence inputs i cant get it to work. The signal LEDs don't even come on! Am i doing something wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!
1 - plug in the preamp
2 - using an XLR cable, run a mic into it
3 - run the output to something
4 - power on the preamp
5 - turn on phantom power

if nothing happens, unplug the cable from the input and try the phantom again, if still nothing send it back for a new one as this one could be broken.

BTW to record to a PC you dont need a preamp, just an audio interface however if your interface doesnt have phantom you can run the AB though your signal chain.
Quote by moody07747

BTW to record to a PC you dont need a preamp, just an audio interface however if your interface doesnt have phantom you can run the AB though your signal chain.

Can you give more detailed info on how to do this please?
an audio interface is a high end sound card made to record, it bypasses your stock sound card which isnt good for recording. These normally have on board preamps, XLR inputs, 1/4" inputs, and connect with USB or firewire.

A preamp is simply an amp for mics to boost the level, it isnt an audio interface and simply alone, it wont give you any good recordings.

Tweak's Guide, my sig, read though some of it.