I love my classic 30. It is still stock, but it sounds so much better than most solid state amps I've heard, and played on, and put on the clean channel it really inspires you to practice. Until it starts rattling...

Unfortunately as of a few months ago it has started making this usual ringing whenever I play a G chord, as if there is something rattling inside the amp, or speaker, or perhaps something going wrong within the tube. It's as if the particular vibrations of the G chord generate this extra noise in the amp. We thought at first, it was the little metal tube holders, that held the tubes in place, rattling against the tubes.

Because I am new to tube amps, and tinkering with my guitars in general, and I had read, that with the right mods a Classic 30 can be made to sound quite good. If I can get the right advice I'd have no problem working on my own amp, but I am very much afraid of ruining something nice because I didn't know what I was doing.

I read some of the reviews on this website, and saw that a lot of people had changed out their speakers, and their tubes in this amp to generate a better sound. Unfortunately their opinions tend to vary a bit, and I am not sure what I should do with my amp. I don't know where to find the amp's speakers, or after market tubes, and am hoping, someone on this site might be able to point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The amp shouldn't rattle. Take it to a shop and get it checked out. As far as changing speakers and tubes, check the "Classic 30, the last amp you will ever own" thread. That should be helpful to you.
I'm not exactly doing so hot with money at the moment, so I'm hoping whatever might need to be done, I can do myself with enough reading.
The rattling you're hearing is the tubes vibrating. Classic 30s have this problem. You'll either get used to it or you'll lose your mind.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Driven,

I have a Peavey Delta Blues 210 (Pretty much the big brother to your amp) and just this past Friday I had what I believe to be the same issue you are having.

Everytime I hit a low note, be it G or E the speaker would vibrate (almost sounded like speaker was busted). My problem was not the tubes vibrating, this was definately coming from the speaker.

I may be wrong and your problem may be just the tubes vibrating. If it sounds like it's coming from the speaker itself, you will have to get a tech to take alook at it.

My amp actually had a jumper break that connected two of the PCB boards together. My tech had to solder the jumper back to the board and all was well again.

If I am wrong and your problem is just tube vibration, please disregard.
How loud do you keep your classic 30 at? I get a little rattling when I go in the clean channel vol. 6, It's annoying, but I don't mind it.
Quote by Checker
The rattling you're hearing is the tubes vibrating. Classic 30s have this problem. You'll either get used to it or you'll lose your mind.
Yep, my C30 does it a small amount.
How old is your amp? The older C-30's just hang the tubes back there, and tube rattle is a definite issue. In fact, you can look up "tube tamer" on ebay. It's specifically made to combat this problem in the old Peavey amps.

Otherwise, check to see that all your tubes are firmly in place, and that the speaker's screwed in tightly. Virbation from playing can loosen any bolts in the amp up over time. Anyplace you have a screw or bolt, take a tool to it and tighten it up. See if that helps. Better than paying a tech $40/hour to do the exact same thing.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by DrivenMind
I love my classic 30. It is still stock, but it sounds so much better than most solid state amps I've heard, and played on, and put on the clean channel it really inspires you to practice. Until it starts rattling...

Unfortunately as of a few months ago it has started making this usual ringing whenever I play a G chord, as if there is something rattling inside the amp, or speaker, or perhaps something going wrong within the tube. It's as if the particular vibrations of the G chord generate this extra noise in the amp. We thought at first, it was the little metal tube holders, that held the tubes in place, rattling against the tubes.

Because I am new to tube amps, and tinkering with my guitars in general, and I had read, that with the right mods a Classic 30 can be made to sound quite good. If I can get the right advice I'd have no problem working on my own amp, but I am very much afraid of ruining something nice because I didn't know what I was doing.

I read some of the reviews on this website, and saw that a lot of people had changed out their speakers, and their tubes in this amp to generate a better sound. Unfortunately their opinions tend to vary a bit, and I am not sure what I should do with my amp. I don't know where to find the amp's speakers, or after market tubes, and am hoping, someone on this site might be able to point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

do a google search you are not alone. seems this problem is across the board with lots peavey tube amps. i had a the same problem with a vk 112. i took it back after 3 day's for a refund. i could not take the buzz.