Where can I go to find out how to count rhythms. I know this is a noob question, but I have no way to find out about this otherwise. I tried google, and I found nothing that helped me. I need something that will explain eighth notes, dotted quarter notes, etc.
Well, learning stuff like that is hard to learn off the internet or even in a book. Even with a teacher it takes a long time. I would recommend taking a class on it if you are that devoted to it. Otherwise it will be a long hard road.
If it's blue, then it MUST smell good.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
http://www.musictheory.net/ Go to the "Lessons" down arrow

If you have any specific questions, we'll gladly help you out.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
In my book, they are screwing with me.
it has numbers in parentheses, which they didnt explain
How would I count something like this out?

Sorry about the bad resolution.
Last edited by AlskiOverload at Jul 28, 2008,
By the way "C" means "Common Time" which is 4/4 time. There are 4 beats in a measure and the quarter note gets the beat. I'm pretty sure the 1st and 3rd notes are usually accented.

Easy way to count:

1+2+3+4+ | 1+2+3+4+

Each number and "+" is an eighth note. There are of course 2 eighth notes in one beat and 4 beats in a measure. Line those up with the notes and take away a number/+ for when a note isn't played and you get:

1(+)(2)+3+4+ | 1(+)(2)+3(+)4+

() means the no note being played.

G      ABDEG   C      EG   EG
1(+)(2)+3+4+ | 1(+)(2)+3(+)4+
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jul 28, 2008,
So, if its that, then what is the value of the dotted quarter note (its 1 1/2 right?)
Then why isnt the A played on the second beat?
Which wouldnt make the sheet music very right.
It would only end up with a weird number.
What is the value for the eight notes then?
My god Im confused.
(I should have listened during band, instead of following along with what everone else was doing)
Quote by AlskiOverload
So, if its that, then what is the value of the dotted quarter note (its 1 1/2 right?)
Then why isnt the A played on the second beat?
Which wouldnt make the sheet music very right.
It would only end up with a weird number.
What is the value for the eight notes then?
My god Im confused.
(I should have listened during band, instead of following along with what everone else was doing)

A dot adds half the value of the note it's next to. So a dotted quarter note would be 1 1/2 beats.

There are 2 eight notes in a beat: A quarter note is one beat in 4/4 time and a 1/8 is a half of 1/4 so it get's half the beat.

1+2+3+4+

Each 1,2,3,4 is a beat.

1+ together are 2 eighth notes which make up one beat.

One and a half beats (a dotted quarter) would take up 1+2 because 1+ is one beat and the 2 is a half.

Keep in mind "+" is said, "and" NOT "plus".

Again, that site I posted earlier is really helpful. It explains things in a VERY clear fashion I know it'll help you out.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Note Duration: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/html/id11_en.html
Dots and Ties: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/html/id14_en.html
Measures and Time Signatures: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/html/id12_en.html

And of course, feel free to ask any more questions. That's what we're here for.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
yeah, I have the offlline thing for that site. I actually know quite a bit of theory now, just not this reading music stuff, Im guessing reading music makes it easier to apply theory. it seems like everyone just learning knows this stuff.

So I dont get why it is that there is an "and" after the 4, since the four is already there. Am I looking at it wrong?
Ok, I think its starting to make sense. How do I keep it steady though? It seems like when I play, my eighth notes are "mechanical" enough (They arent perfect sounding) That sometimes leads me to be off when Im using a metronome.
The + after the 4 is the second half of the 4th beat.

Just take it slow and it'll come to you. It takes a while to get. If you think more of WHEN you need to hit a note, with the counting going on subconsciously behind that, it will help.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Thanks. I need to get to other things. Ive been going crazy with this stuff for a few days. So do you think Im taking these things a little quickly? Is this stuff something to work at over a long time, or something need to know. Im ok at technique and stuff, and to learn how to make my own stuff, I find this as a necessary step.
This will definitely take a lot of practice to get down. I suck at playing to sheet music tbh. I haven't done it since I learned how to play because I'm stupid. I learned a bunch of songs by tab because it's easily accessible.

Tbh, I really don't know if you're taking things too quick. I only have 4 years of playing/learning under my belt. I have a tiny bit of knowledge (with theory) but not the experience to answer questions like that.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by AlskiOverload
Thanks. I need to get to other things. Ive been going crazy with this stuff for a few days. So do you think Im taking these things a little quickly? Is this stuff something to work at over a long time, or something need to know. Im ok at technique and stuff, and to learn how to make my own stuff, I find this as a necessary step.

I don't really think you are taking it too quickly. I've been playing guitar for 5-6 years and I have been a part of the school band for 5 years and am returning again this year. I am constantly using music theory and such and I know how hard it is to get at first. I was the kind of person that just wanted to play and not give two cents about music. But, there is a difference between playing a sax in band and playing a guitar. It is not necessary to learn theory to create and play songs. As a matter of fact, you can go without it. It's helpful if you want to write down the music and such but otherwise it may be extra baggage. Keep at it and you should understand. You can't learn in in a matter of days. Five years of band and I still learn something new everyday. You will get the basics down soon, so don't worry about that.
If it's blue, then it MUST smell good.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")