Alright guys.... So my parents just told me they won't be able to afford the Peavey ValveKing right now, so they asked me what else I wanted. I told them I just wanted money and nothing else.

I think I should get somewhere around $200.

I am going to sell my drumset ASAP. And I think I should get somewhere around $450 for it.

I want to buy a new amp, and I think my budget will be somewhere around 600-700 dollars.

I play Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Blues, Shred, and I try to do some neoclassical.

What tube combos can you recommend in that price range?
I was looking at that.

I found a 212 100 watt B-52 for $600

What's your experience with those amps?
Ampeg VT-22 vintage, tubed, tone, and loud on ebay for 700, a secret in the rock world, the best tonal amp and loudest ever made in production at the time.

Bands:Queens of the stone age, rolling stones, zz top, allman brothers and more
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Quote by higherworlds
Ampeg VT-22 vintage, tubed, tone, and loud on ebay for 700, a secret in the rock world, the best tonal amp and loudest ever made in production at the time.

Bands:Queens of the stone age, rolling stones, zz top, allman brothers and more

The only bad thing about that is that I am looking for something with higher gain than that.

Either an amp with a switchable class, or class A/B
Randall RG50TC can get pretty heavy, but it should be good for hard rock and shred. It's all tube.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
Quote by MorgMetal_666
Randall RG50TC can get pretty heavy, but it should be good for hard rock and shred. It's all tube.

How does that compare to the B-52 AT-100 combo??
if you're willing to go second hand, i'd take a look at the kustom coupe and mesa f-series.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Explorer125
How does that compare to the B-52 AT-100 combo??

I don't know first hand, I've never actually played one just going off sound clips and other people's experiences. I would assume that the B-52 is more versatile and I've heard mixed reviews on the Randall; I just recommend it because I like Randall's stuff, especially the mts series
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
How much is that Randall?

I am willing to buy second hand, it's just hard to find stuff on ebay.

EDIT: What about either a Peavey ValveKing 212 or the head version?
Last edited by Explorer125 at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you're willing to go second hand, i'd take a look at the kustom coupe and mesa f-series.

I'll second the F series, haven't tried the Kustom. Craigslist FTW, try before you buy....
Quote by gregs1020
I'll second the F series, haven't tried the Kustom. Craigslist FTW, try before you buy....

I actually can't manage to find a dealer near me who sells the F series.

I am thinking about just buying either the VK 212 or a B-52 combo now.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?
i haven't tried the b52, but both the kustom and f series are vastly superior to the VK. the f-series is discontinued, that might be why you can't find it. some mesa dealers may have some NOS ones, or you may get one second-hand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
F-Series would be a damn good idea

An F-30 combo... used these things go for like 600 maybe 750? that would be a perfect choice... you could look into a laney vc30 and get a drive pedal for it... OH! wait

Used peavey XXX combo
I saw a F-30 last week on craigslist, was $650 so they are out there but USED people.
If you're going with a combo, do you want a 1x12 or 2x12? With the B-52 combos, the 212 has a tri-mode rectifier and the 112 doesn't.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Also worth pointing out that the Valveking's 'switchable class' does next to nothing.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
peavey classic 30 with an od maybe? it is perfect for classic rock/blues/hard rock, but needs the od to push it to the metal side