I was told that there's a pedal that makes your guitar sound like a violin, but that the company that made them died. Does anyone know this company? Google failed.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
a volume pedal?
theres more than one company that makes those.
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Wasn't there a thread about violin sounds this morning?
Try the searchbar

On a more productive note, look into an e-bow
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
the big muff has violin type sustain, atlease it says that on there pedal box
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
^Sustain perhaps, but it by no means makes your guitar sound like a violin.
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

I'm talking about something like this, what the not-blonde guy is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZspGWM-aWs

(I am by no means a COB fan this is just a good example. And this is an awesome video)
Gear:
wow, i want one of those too, whats the pedal name
Gear

1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
I didnt watch the video, but I'm pretty sure its a Boss Slow Gear. They don't make it anymore. You can find several newer versions of it, but apparently the original is best. Guyatone and BYOC have versions of it.

You mean for like reversing the attack of a guitar to make it sound bowed, correct?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Seriously, this was posted yesterday

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=919532&highlight=violin

Use the searchbar please

K but it didn't get answered in that thread either, so I wouldn't have made any progress.
Gear:
^No but it's better to bump that thread than make an entirely new one on the exact same topic
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by humperdunk
I'm talking about something like this, what the not-blonde guy is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZspGWM-aWs

(I am by no means a COB fan this is just a good example. And this is an awesome video)

Maybe there's something wrong with my eyes but the only people I see in that clip are blonde. You can buy a guitar synthesizer for that sound, I think? But they are expensive.
You might be able to get a violen sound out of an EHX Pog.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by humperdunk
K but it didn't get answered in that thread either, so I wouldn't have made any progress.

IN that thread they said that violin backing tracks were being used.

If you want to have attack like a violin, get a slow gear pedal from ebay or a clone of one from BYOC. I have the BYOC pedal, and you can't get it to sound like that video, but you can still get some fun string sounds out of it.

Get a roland guitar synth if you want to just play the guitar and have it sound just like a violin (well not "just like," but as close as you are going to get).
Quote by dullsilver_mike
IN that thread they said that violin backing tracks were being used.

If you want to have attack like a violin, get a slow gear pedal from ebay or a clone of one from BYOC. I have the BYOC pedal, and you can't get it to sound like that video, but you can still get some fun string sounds out of it.

Get a roland guitar synth if you want to just play the guitar and have it sound just like a violin (well not "just like," but as close as you are going to get).

Except backing tracks obviously weren't being used.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try it out. I'm gonna try building the Slow Gear myself, I found a site with schematics and stuff, now I just have to learn to read them.
Gear:
Goddammit, I just answered a thread like this. In that video, it's in the backing track. If you want to make your guitar sound like a violin, get a Roland GR-20 - it's a guitar synth that has it's own midi pickup too. Apart from that, I don't think anything makes you really sound like a violin. You can achieve similar attack with a volume pedal, a slow gear clone or even with the bloody volume pot on your guitar.

Edit:
Quote by humperdunk
Except backing tracks obviously weren't being used.

Oh, sorry. Is that the drummer from CoB who's hitting the closed hihat so they stay in tempo?

If you insist on it being some sort of a pedal, then it's a midi guitar synth. I'm pretty sure it's just their backingtracks.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Jul 28, 2008,
its a boss slow gear, the go for about 300-500 dollars
Gear

1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
You could buy a violin...?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Other than using a volume pedal, you could use a really heavy reverb/delay with the feedback turned up high.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
+1 for the Ebow route. I just picked one up after my last one being lost for years and I think it sounds just as cool as it did when I was in high school. Clean channel, tone knob turned all the way down, bridge pickup, and you can make a guitar sing like a violin. I've played around a little with synth stuff at stores, but I dig the Ebow for it cause you can really feel how the sound is coming out and control it instead of playing normally and having a box do it for you. And $100 ain't bad.
Gear:

JCM 900 w/Lead 1960 cab
Custom Aria Pro II w/coil splits and phase changer (my baby!)
Schecter Omen 6 w/upgraded coil split Duncans
Pile o' pedals
Go to BYOC and build yourself the "lazy sprocket"

I highly recommend switching out the attack pot for at least a B100K if you want to get a fun swell out of it.

You don't have to buy their kit if you don't want, the instructions and everything are still there. If it's going to be your first pedal build I highly recommend it. They include a free boost pedal kit and a signal tester for free with your first order. Both good things to have.

I've built a few of them because friends loved them and kept buying them from me.

the newest boss multieffect has the slow gear built in, along with the "defretter", which was also discontinued.
behringer(sp) makes a pedal called the low gear which is virtually the same thing, except, you know, its a behringer...

the slowgear is to the volume pedal what the envelope filter is to the wah pedal
if you want the sound as in the COB video, get a roland guitar synth, but you'l have to dish out 400-450 lol
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Nims
Go to BYOC and build yourself the "lazy sprocket"

I highly recommend switching out the attack pot for at least a B100K if you want to get a fun swell out of it.

You don't have to buy their kit if you don't want, the instructions and everything are still there. If it's going to be your first pedal build I highly recommend it. They include a free boost pedal kit and a signal tester for free with your first order. Both good things to have.

I've built a few of them because friends loved them and kept buying them from me.

I know this might be a stupid question, but where do you get knobs like that? I've checked my local shops and online but all I can find is the typical guitar knobs.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
I know this might be a stupid question, but where do you get knobs like that? I've checked my local shops and online but all I can find is the typical guitar knobs.

Not a stupid question. These are copies of the original "Davies" knobs. Searching for that may help you.

I get mine from www.pedalpartsplus.com

Here's a good resource for finding every knob under the sun.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Knobs/knobs.htm

-J!
Quote by Nims
Not a stupid question. These are copies of the original "Davies" knobs. Searching for that may help you.

I get mine from www.pedalpartsplus.com

Here's a good resource for finding every knob under the sun.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Knobs/knobs.htm

-J!

Thanks!
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.