Never really paid much attention until the last few months or so. Mostly because guys like 50-cent spittin' about how many times he's been shot and belonging to gangs and the bling-bling, crack and *****s and all that stuff is a whole world away from anything I truly understand.

Then I discovered Public Enemy. Or more to the point... RE-discovered PE. I remember groups like DMC, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Young MC all being kinda fun stuff. So I started looking into the history of hip-hop... Afrika Bambaata, etc. I found out that the TRUE philosophy of hip hop is not at all what is being passed off as hip hop now.

Public Enemy has stayed true to that. KRS-1 is back and is staying true to that. There ARE people out there promoting a more socially conscious and meaningful side to hip hop - not cow-towing to the white dudes in suits who own and run MTV, BET, etc. who choose to present blacks in their media as gangstas, *****s, etc. who care about little else except bling bling and implants and grilles and dope. PE and KRS-1 talk about these issues being like modern-day slavery and speak out against it. Chuck D narrates a documentary about the diamond industry, and in particular, the conflict diamonds of Sierra Leone, and all the racial implications of that. He really seems to be a true role model from the hip hop world.

MY question is... are these dudes still considered relevant, or is it just old folks who dig the old-school artists like them? What do actual hip-hop fans think of these artists? Or should we differentiate between the fans of 'real' hip hop and little suburbanite gangsta wannabes?

Thoughts?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jul 28, 2008,
How you Sell Soul is an amazing album, BTW....

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Its a shame because what is true hip-hop, would probably be refered to as 'pussy' these days.

All the old-skool stuff had real meaning. Chuck D was a genius. 50 cents a prat.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

And here's another weird thing.... On the How you Sell Soul CD, it comes with a DVD which includes some live footage of Public Enemy, from I think France, from last year.

Weird that for a hip-hop show.... it looked like about 90% of the audience was white.

:wtf

CT

Yeah old school hiphop is cool. I think a differentiation needs to be made between the two genres rap and hiphop. Hiphop is music that has a message or story behind it that is relevant and and socially conscious as you rightly put it. Rap, on the other hand, I believe, is when pretentious bastards decide to use the music style of hiphop to talk about how many cars they have or how much money or about how many people they have killed (but havent really) and drugs etc.

Many hiphop fans wont bash you at all for saying you like Public Enemy or anything similar because many of them do listen to the old school stuff too. However, with rap fans, they would say yeah public enemy are good etc. even though they have never listened to them. Thats because it seems cool to like them because rap borrows from their style and changes the whole point behind it. That may seem a bit unclear but it should show the jist of it i think
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
I was talking to my mate about this yesterday.

Hip-hop now is bad (in my opinion) Its the only type of music I don't like. Old school hiphop however. Not bad
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Hip hop is an originally underground culture. The four main elements are Rapping, DJing, Graffiti and Break Dancing.
You can't generalise hip hop into old and new. There's ****ty artists from every generation and there's good artists as well. Plenty of modern artists are talented.

Also:
Hip Hop: Style of music.
Rap: Medium for lyrics.
Peace.
Quote by nikhil101
Yeah old school hiphop is cool. I think a differentiation needs to be made between the two genres rap and hiphop. Hiphop is music that has a message or story behind it that is relevant and and socially conscious as you rightly put it. Rap, on the other hand, I believe, is when pretentious bastards decide to use the music style of hiphop to talk about how many cars they have or how much money or about how many people they have killed (but havent really) and drugs etc.

Many hiphop fans wont bash you at all for saying you like Public Enemy or anything similar because many of them do listen to the old school stuff too. However, with rap fans, they would say yeah public enemy are good etc. even though they have never listened to them. Thats because it seems cool to like them because rap borrows from their style and changes the whole point behind it. That may seem a bit unclear but it should show the jist of it i think

...no. Public Enemy is hip-hop, 50 Cent is hip-hop. Rap is a vocal style, not a genre.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Exactly.... Rapping is a musical aspect of the broader culture of Hip-Hop.
www.zulunation.com

KRS-One also promotes the message of peace, love, unity, and having fun.
http://www.templeofhiphop.org

CT

Don't let Dreadnought in this thread.

But good for you for looking up Hip-Hop's history. There's a book called Can't Stop Won't Stop which is very interesting, gives you lots of background about the social state that hiphop was born out of.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Some artists are running out of **** to say. When you make a song about teeth (Grillz) it's time to give up or do something different.
Quote by HelpTravesty
Hey everyone, SMOKE WEED!

It's raining blood from a lacerated sky.

Quote by duncang
...no. Public Enemy is hip-hop, 50 Cent is hip-hop. Rap is a vocal style, not a genre.

Yes i do actually know that but how the hell else can we differentiate between them? Many people already brand rap as a genre and I think it should be split like I have said.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
I respect Dreadnought, though don't know his thoughts on hip-hop. Someone invite him in!

CT

Quote by nikhil101
Yes i do actually know that but how the hell else can we differentiate between them? Many people already brand rap as a genre and I think it should be split like I have said.

Why would you need to differentiate between them?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by willwelsh816
I have an IQ of 23, which makes me the genius in my family.

:wtf

CT

Hip-hop, as I would say, has gone to the grave. With explicit lyrics and I-Dont-Understand songs, well no one appreciates it, so hip-hop is

except for the babes which they show in the music videos lol!
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
Quote by duncang

Because of the message in the music!

Rappers like 50 cent = brainless bs about how many crimes he's supposedly commited etc.

Rappers or groups like Public Enemy = Socially conscious message about the world we live in

Think of it like how metalheads get mad at people categorizing bands like bfmv as metal instead of metalcore
Quote by thegreensquall
Quote by duncang

Why differentiate between an acoustic guitar and a classical guitar?
My God, it's full of stars!
Or more to the point....

Between Survivor and suburban culture?

... anyways..... any more thoughts on the original question?

CT

But do hip hop fans still consider those groups to be relevant?

CT

2 songs can prove that hip-hop is dead,
Get Silly; V.I.C.
Crank Dat; Soulja Boi

jurrasic five, public enemy, Tribe called quest, those are some good groups
Quote by IbanezSA160
I farted in class once, but that's about as close i've got to a sexual experience in school.

Quote by duncanxdonuts
B2daR2daA2daD you win at life

DEAR GAWD!!!
I still like old school hip hop. It had a message, much like punk. Plus it sounds better. Today's music just sucks (most not all).
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals