38 32%
Nay
35 30%
Eh.
45 38%
Voters: 118.
Page 1 of 3
Discuss.

I'll try and stay out of it, I just want to know your thoughts. Just to put it out there, big nay from me.

edit: AS FUEL.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at Jul 28, 2008,
I voted "Eh," but largely because "Meh" wasn't an option.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Do you mean to drink or to drive with. Or maybe both?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Ethanol what?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It's an alcohol.

But which kind of ethanol?

Straight Ethan-1-ol? Ethan-2-ol?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
^Bioethanol is a stupid word.

Quote by Jackal58

No drink driving.

Quote by Nutter_101
It's an alcohol.

That was an impressively huge fail. Don't try to seem smart. It doesn't work. You just look even more retarded.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Jackal58

Hopefully not both
To drive with
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Hopefully not both
To drive with

Ethanol as a fuel is going to be a disaster for everybody except ADM.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
who the fuck drink ethanol?

you would go blind from it.
My Spanish Hearts
^Ethanol is alcohol that everybody drinks every day. It is not methanol, which is the stuff that turns you blind.

Actually you're pretty damn stupid if you don't know what ethanol is.

Quote by Jackal58
Ethanol as a fuel is going to be a disaster for everybody except ADM.

I don't know who ADM are/is but +1 to the first part. Really bad plan.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Meths
That was an impressively huge fail. Don't try to seem smart. It doesn't work. You just look even more retarded.

I'm not trying to seem smart. He didn't exactly quantify what he was talking about and these things make a difference.

I don't see how that made me seem even more retarded when someone else responded with whether he was asking about bioethanol. I also don't see how it was a huge fail to be honest with you.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Meths

I agree completely.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Nutter_101
It's an alcohol.

its the same thing. Geometric isomerism.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

who the fuck drink ethanol?

you would go blind from it.
I drink ethanol. I drink it in my beer and everything else. You are confused with methanol.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Nutter_101
I'm not trying to seem smart. He didn't exactly quantify what he was talking about and these things make a difference.

No, another fucking fail, there is no such thing as Ethan-1-ol or Ethan-2-ol, there is only Ethanol.

Quote by Nutter_101
I don't see how that made me seem even more retarded when someone else responded with whether he was asking about bioethanol. I also don't see how it was a huge fail to be honest with you.

See above.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
its the same thing. Geometric isomerism.

I could have sworn that one is a primary alcohol, and the other is a secondary alcohol. If the OH groups on a different carbon, then that affects oxidation, doesn't it?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Meths

how was that a huge fail, what he said makes sense if you know anything about chemistry

and i say nay

EDIT: i just remembered ethan-1-ol and 2-ol are the same ****ing thing, cuz ethanol only has two carbons...and i took ap chemistry. lol
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.
Last edited by peter von chaps at Jul 28, 2008,
ethanol from corn will be a disaster, raising food prices, ****ing up soil...

cellulistic ethanol might have potential though
"The revolution lives on not in words to live for it, but in one's heart to die for it" -Che Guevara
No one who has said 'Yay' has elaborated. Can someone please tell me why ethanol's pros outweighs its cons?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

So to avoid a giant bold fail this is ADM.
http://www.admworld.com/
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
wow Meths

big font, impressive now who the fuck is trying to be smart?
My Spanish Hearts
**** - I just remembered the structure of ethanol.

Epic fail for me. Sorry.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
I could have sworn that one is a primary alcohol, and the other is a secondary alcohol. If the OH groups on a different carbon, then that affects oxidation, doesn't it?
Hush yourself

Using ethanol is better than petrol, I guess.
Quote by smb
Hush yourself

Using ethanol is better than petrol, I guess.

Well I shall allow you to revisit your opinion when the only thing farmers are growing is corn for fuel.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Nutter_101

NO. Go back to chemistry class, I cannot be arsed to explain to someone who fails chemistry on such a basic level.

Quote by rx_eb
wow Meths

big font, impressive now who the fuck is trying to be smart?

What big font? I don't see any.

And I don't see how typing in big font would be me trying to be smart.

Quote by peter von chaps
how was that a huge fail, what he said makes sense if you know anything about chemistry

and i say nay

Really?

Quote by Nutter_101
**** - I just remembered the structure of ethanol.

Epic fail for me. Sorry.

He disagrees. Don't imply my knowledge of chemistry is faulty because you can't remember that Ethanol has 2 carbon atoms.

Oscar Wilde
I lied. I'm going to get into it
I think it's a really stupid temporary fix to start using ethanol from corn as fuel. Food prices are already rising in the U.S. and now farmers are switching their production over to corn since the prices of bushels have skyrocketed. However, this won't last. Eventually, as more and more farmers grow corn, the prices will level out and less profit will be made while the land once used for food is still being used for fuel. Not to mention, ethanol takes more fuel to create than it produces. Unless there is an efficient means of producing cellulistic ethanol, I'd say we're fucked.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Meths
[major-league ass-rape with mega font-size]
good call editing that one down.
hearty laugh while it lasted, though

Quote by Meths
Archer Daniels Midland. the dominant agricultural corporation in the US.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Meths

Really?

He disagrees. Don't imply my knowledge of chemistry is faulty because you can't remember that Ethanol has 2 carbon atoms.

read my edited post
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.
Quote by Meths

What big font? I don't see any.

And I don't see how typing in big font would be me trying to be smart.

But it sure did show how arrogant you were

You can continue to show off your knowledge about drugs and chemistry, Mr.know-it-all but I don't think many people would give two ****s about that.
My Spanish Hearts
trust me, i have converted a small engine (weed eater) to ethanol, and small engines dont operate exactly like large ones, BUT; i know a LOT about science (when i was in 8th grade i went to Colorado for science comps where i built a scale-model hydrogen car that ran and a ethanol scale car hat also ran) with that knowledge in hand, with the corn/sunflowers/other sources (corn and sunflowers would be the U.S.' 2 greatest resources of bio-ethanol), 1 gallon of bio-ethanol would be about $2.60 BUT, an ethanol engine/fueling system is about 25-35% less efficient in both gas mileage and longevity. SO, a sedan that gets 35 mpg on gasoline would get about 28-23mpg (still not bad) but with the slightly less cost, youd either have to buy an ethanol engine/fueling system and transmission, along with the slightly less fuel cost with LESS mpg, youd be paying ALMOST the same taking in less mpg with the lesser cost as compared to gasoline. Ethanol is mainly for the people who want a green earth and all of that. In terms of environmetally friendly, fuel cell (hydrogen gas from water) is the most efficient, but the technology is still very expensive (a car with a v6 engine and fuel cell fueling system and trans would run about 1.2 million USD). In terms of gas mileage in smaller vehicles, diesel gets the most, as a 1985 Volkswagen Beetle with a diesel engine can get up to 42 mpg. So, nay with ethanol.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Aug. '08 Car and Driver, p. 13. To Keep Africa Alive, You SUV Must Die.
Owner of the Murder, She Wrote club
Quote by LP Addict
Quote by Vinyl_Master
Oh, finish the guitar, then spill whiskey and coffee on it. Lock in dank basement for several years, enjoy.

don't forget feces. i always get that on my axe somehow.
Quote by vintage x metal
No one who has said 'Yay' has elaborated. Can someone please tell me why ethanol's pros outweighs its cons?

It's promising as an alternative fuel if we can find a better way to make it. At the moment, it's no help, but it's something that could certainly be very useful in the near future. It's cleaner and more renewable that petroleum. The problem now is it uses just as much gas to make it as it would replace. If we can find a better way to get it (i.e. use of cellulose), this wouldn't be the case, and it would be a viable alternative energy source.

At the moment, it's useless, but we can perhaps start to transition in hopes of an advance in technology which is probably not too far away.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Quote by vintage x metal
I lied. I'm going to get into it
I think it's a really stupid temporary fix to start using ethanol from corn as fuel. Food prices are already rising in the U.S. and now farmers are switching their production over to corn since the prices of bushels have skyrocketed. However, this won't last. Eventually, as more and more farmers grow corn, the prices will level out and less profit will be made while the land once used for food is still being used for fuel. Not to mention, ethanol takes more fuel to create than it produces. Unless there is an efficient means of producing cellulistic ethanol, I'd say we're fucked.

I was raised on a farm. I can't blame a farmer for planting a crop that he knows will maintain or increase in value during the growing season. I can't blame him for doing it as long as he can continue to see an increase in profit. I can blame Bush and the DoE for putting such a short sighted far fetched plan into motion.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Colton165
trust me, i have converted a small engine (weed eater) to ethanol, and small engines dont operate exactly like large ones, BUT; i know a LOT about science (when i was in 8th grade i went to Colorado for science comps where i built a scale-model hydrogen car that ran and a ethanol scale car hat also ran) with that knowledge in hand, with the corn/sunflowers/other sources (corn and sunflowers would be the U.S.' 2 greatest resources of bio-ethanol), 1 gallon of bio-ethanol would be about $2.60 BUT, an ethanol engine/fueling system is about 25-35% less efficient in both gas mileage and longevity. SO, a sedan that gets 35 mpg on gasoline would get about 28-23mpg (still not bad) but with the slightly less cost, youd either have to buy an ethanol engine/fueling system and transmission, along with the slightly less fuel cost with LESS mpg, youd be paying ALMOST the same taking in less mpg with the lesser cost as compared to gasoline. Ethanol is mainly for the people who want a green earth and all of that. In terms of environmetally friendly, fuel cell (hydrogen gas from water) is the most efficient, but the technology is still very expensive (a car with a v6 engine and fuel cell fueling system and trans would run about 1.2 million USD). In terms of gas mileage in smaller vehicles, diesel gets the most, as a 1985 Volkswagen Beetle with a diesel engine can get up to 42 mpg. So, nay with ethanol.

I'd just like to thank you for contributing something useful while the rest of the thread is bickering.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Jackal58
I was raised on a farm. I can't blame a farmer for planting a crop that he knows will maintain or increase in value during the growing season. I can't blame him for doing it as long as he can continue to see an increase in profit. I can blame Bush and the DoE for putting such a short sighted far fetched plan into motion.

It's not the farmers I blame at all; it makes sense economically. It just sucks humongous balls that this plan was utilized.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Page 1 of 3