Ok, so I know this question has probably been asked a lot...but how do i actually practice theory? I have read the crusades, BGC's sig link, been to musictheory.com and read some other articles on UG about modes and chord progressions and whatnot.

So now that i have a basic understanding of theory, what can I do to solidify that and practice it? Is that question clear enough? Thanks!
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
Write songs, solo over other songs, understand songs. It should be obvious...
I've tried to write some songs, but they dissapoint me and I'm not happy with how they turn out.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Quote by Stolen Identity
Ok, so I know this question has probably been asked a lot...but how do i actually practice theory? I have read the crusades, BGC's sig link, been to musictheory.com and read some other articles on UG about modes and chord progressions and whatnot.

So now that i have a basic understanding of theory, what can I do to solidify that and practice it? Is that question clear enough? Thanks!

practice/play music...... study theory.

- get a theory book
- learn the concepts
- recognize those concepts in actual music
- utilize the ideas in your own music

Theory is a deep subject. It takes years to study, and there is much more to it then you'll ever get out of the theory sticky (although there is some good info there) .

Keep learning, keep listening, keep making music.

Quote by Stolen Identity
I've tried to write some songs, but they dissapoint me and I'm not happy with how they turn out.

do you mean "using" theory? try using your ear and creativity as well. Theory won't write songs for you. It will help you to recognize what you hear, and give you names to call things, but you can make something you like right now, regardless of theory knowledge.

Use your ear, be creative.... make music that you like.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Stolen Identity

We're all disappointed with the songs we write. We think they're too simple, not catchy enough, not technical enough, or boring. We scrutinize ourselves as musicians very much.

The first songs you write are going to suck balls. That's a fact. The first many songs you write will suck. That's also a fact. You won't improve if you don't practice. Fact.

The best thing you could do is try writing songs. When you write the songs you'll realize that you're subconsciously using theory.

When you think: "Oh how do I end this riff? Oh I know! I'll use a deceptive cadence to the vi chord and modulate to the relative minor. The solo will be in harmonic minor to create a little dissonance and coolness. I'll use the leading tone of harmonic minor to help create a little instability and bring it to the 7 chord which I'll then use to modulate back to the relative major with a perfect cadence."

In other words (no long rant) you'll soon find yourself to use theory to guide your writing.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jul 28, 2008,
you worry too much about theory, you forget about playing. remember the KISS rule applies to everything in life. Keep it Simple Silly... music shouldn't be a mathamatical equation. Theory's important, yes... but don't get caught up on it.
A good way to practice theory is to apply it to songs you already know. Try and figure out key signature a song is in, or what meter, or what kind of chords the artist is using. Get a good grasp of how it is applied in the music you like and want to play, and then give a shot and try writing your own stuff.

Don't get to caught up in theory. It's merely a way to make sense of music, and a tool to help us compose or write. Like metal4all said eventually you'll be subconsciously using theory in your songwriting. You won't even think about it, and thats how it should be.
Quote by GITARdud391
A good way to practice theory is to apply it to songs you already know. Try and figure out key signature a song is in, or what meter, or what kind of chords the artist is using. Get a good grasp of how it is applied in the music you like and want to play

+1
shred is gaudy music
Ok, sounds good then. Cuz when I try to compose a song now, I'll think: okay, I really like the sound of the phrygian mode, i'll try to make some riffs out of that, and thats where it ends. I don't get much past writing a one or two bar riff.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
^Well that's fine. Write a riff, when you hit a roadblock, stop, take a break. Go back to it later on. If you try and force something it probably won't come out good and you probably won't be happy with it. Or you'll just end up really frustrated with nothing to show for it
Quote by one vision
^Although you should be aware of what you're doing and why you're doing it.

lol there's really no should's in music is there? maybe if's. music should, never be seen as a task... or it will lose it's purpose. theory, obviously, helps, but i don't take theory like religion sees the bible.
Quote by ocelott
lol there's really no should's in music is there? maybe if's. music should,...

hehe
Si