I need some amp advice. I posted a thread about this but everyone was like "lame" to everything I suggested. I need an amp that I can gig small shows with but still can get to band practice and not have to have a fork lift to haul it in. I have been looking at a Marshall MG100DFX at Guitar Center and I thought it looked and sounded pretty good, but again everyone said "lame" and didn't suggest anything. I understand that I will have to buy some pedals because the effects can sound like crud, but I thought it was an overall pretty good amp. My budget is about $400 to $600. I play rock, punk rock, and other styles but mostly rock. So I need a good all around amp. I live in United States for currency reasons. All help with be appreciated. Thanks!
Actually, I have my classic 30 for sale for $300 + shipping. I upgraded all the tubes in it. Its a really good amp, my first all tube. Really good cleans and rock distortion. Sorry for the spam but I'm just putting it out there. It's a popular amp.
Hey you got some pretty good guitar skills on youtube lol. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.
Quote by Say Ocean
Actually, I have my classic 30 for sale for $300 + shipping. I upgraded all the tubes in it. Its a really good amp, my first all tube. Really good cleans and rock distortion. Sorry for the spam but I'm just putting it out there. It's a popular amp.

buy that.
Quote by Say Ocean
Oh and if you want I can make a clip of it.

Yeah please make a clip.
Peavey Classic 30 or Peavey Valveking. DO NOT BUY THE MG100
ohai little sig.
The MG100 is looked down upon as the loud amp that sounds like garbage for the money. You can do much better, look at the Valveking, or possibly a Randall if you wanted to stay solid state? The Classic 30 that the guy above listed is in fact a popular amp, I've never played one but heard nothing but good things about them.
Right, i've just looked at the thread you posted before and your statement of 'everyone said "lame" and didn't suggest anything' is, frankly, utter bollocks...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914230

I can see plenty of suggestions in there for Cubes and the like. Seeing as you're so adament though, I'll second the idea of the Classic 30.
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I can't find any pictures of the classic 30 from the top to see what knobs and stuff it has. Any have a picture of the top?
Say Ocean. What color is the amp? I don't really like that vanilla-ish color but. If it is black I will totally think about it.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Right, i've just looked at the thread you posted before and your statement of 'everyone said "lame" and didn't suggest anything' is, frankly, utter bollocks...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914230

I can see plenty of suggestions in there for Cubes and the like. Seeing as you're so adament though, I'll second the idea of the Classic 30.

Ok now that I look back it I can see that too. Sry. It just seems like it was all burried under bad stuff about the other amps I suggested.
Really I know having a Marshall seems like the cool thing to have, but have you ever thought why these ones are so cheap compared to their bigger brothers? They're very bad amps. I learnt that the hard way, had to live with one for four years. Now, I have an Orange Tiny Terror, and the difference is phenomenal.

Get a tube amp, you really don't understand how much better it is. It seems cool and all when you hear it first, that's what sold me. But when you start playing more and more, you will develop a better sense of tone, and you will regret buying it.

For $400-600, you can get a brilliant amp. Try any of these:
Epiphone Blues Custom
Peavey Valve King
B-52 60w
Peavey Windsor 20w

With a tube amp, you would probably need 15w or more for band practise, so any of those would be good.
Real men don't need sigs.
Anyone know the main differences between the classic 30 and the valveking 112?
Quote by Rockin'15
Anyone know the main differences between the classic 30 and the valveking 112?

I think the Classic 30 is more like Fender tube amps, probably a bit cleaner than the Valveking. The Windsor from my post is more like the Marshall tube amps. I'm guessing the ValveKing is like a Laney?
Real men don't need sigs.
So, you posted asking for advice, but didn't like the advice you got so made another thread?

*reported*
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by dgervin839
I think the Classic 30 is more like Fender tube amps, probably a bit cleaner than the Valveking. The Windsor from my post is more like the Marshall tube amps. I'm guessing the ValveKing is like a Laney?

I thought the Valveking was more american voiced (like a Fender, but obviously not cleans like a fender) and the Peavey is not like a fender. Its more like a Vox - warmer etc...

That windsor studio is regarded as being slightly lacking also. The head is good, but the combo is poor in comparison.
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by dgervin839

What would you suggest for some classic rock and alternative stuff? Also, are there any needed improvements on either of this amps? Like speaker or tubes?
Last edited by Rockin'15 at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Rockin'15
What would you suggest for some classic rock and alternative stuff?

Seriously I would just straight up buy Say Ocean's Classic 30. Its a good deal, especially with upgraded tubes. Will be perfect for what you want
Quote by Gibson_Left
Seriously I would just straight up buy Say Ocean's Classic 30. Its a good deal, especially with upgraded tubes. Will be perfect for what you want

Lol. I know it's a good deal, but the things is I'm still young and I need to save up some more so... He'll probably have sold it by the time I get enough money.
Valve Junior combo would be cheap for you. I personaly like the little giant combo better though as it has the 12 inch speaker.
Which amp would be the most versatile? I've been looking and why is the Classic 30 more expensive than the Valve king? Is there a significant difference? Thanks again all who helped me on this. I'm probably going to Guitar Center soon to test these out.