I've seen a lot of guitarists with this setup, but I haven yet to find out exactly how this works and what is required.

I've seen guys put their effects pedals into a rack and somehow they are able to program those pedal effects sequences as patches to a midi foot controller..

How does this work?

I'm assuming that there's an input/output grid system and a brain unit that is able to change the signal path through whichever sequence of effects is required based on the programmed patch.. Is this correct?

And what exactly would the components to this setup be? Midi has always kind of confused me.

Does anyone know the ins and outs of having a setup like this?
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Umm... There's atleast this Ground Control (I think it's called) unit, don't remember who it's by. I believe it works just like you assume. It's a rackmounted unit and you have to get a separate midi pedal to go with it. One downside is the cost, I believe it's not that cheap, also portability might be non-optimal (it's rackmounted).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I'm not looking into putting a system like this together, but I am EXTREMELY curious as to how it works, and what is needed. I've been unable to find any clear difinitive explanation of a system like this by searching online...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T6zMmARor6w

Here's a video that shows such a setup...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
It's basically a box with an input then a whole series of bypassable effects loops and then an output. You put a pedal in each loop. It usually has a bunch of programs. You save which loops you want on and which you want off for each of these programs to have lots of different paths. The foot controller sends program changes to the box. That's the easy way of putting it.
These go to eleven...
Right on man! Thanks for the input. It's a lot simpler than I figured it would be. Hell, maybe one of these days I'll actually put a rack together....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Many a/b's of pedals and rack gear. controlled by midis.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer