Well I am still working on my super secret guitat project, but I may start getting some good money soon, and I thought about some Zack Wylde EMG active pickups for my SG (Then I have some extra odd ball pick ups) but I want to know if active pickups work well clean, cuase I would still like to use my SG for alot of songs that aren't really distorted and stuff, I just get that EMG's like completely eliminate noise, so I figure it would be good for clean, and great for when I get in those moods a jamming some metal. But does that zack wylde set come with everything i need? (I was going to get it from musicians friend) I just want to know about them, I assume I get to retain both volume and tone knobs? Just let me know all about them and if they sound good clean, cause if they don't sound good clean, then I will stick with my pick ups I got in it. Thanks guys, also can you coild split and phase and EMG active pick ups like you can regular humbuckers? Thanks a million in advance. Peace out.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
if you're giong from passive to active you cant keep anything in you're guitar except the switch. its gunna need a stereo input jack and 25k pots, all of which come with any EMGs you buy.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I don't think they would be the best for cleans, because of the high output. They'll distort easier basically.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I don't think they would be the best for cleans, because of the high output. They'll distort easier basically.

This is why we have volume controls, homedawg!
EMG's are simply not made for cleans. They are just plain bad for clean playing... the '89 gives you the option of single coil mode, which I believe comes with a new push-pull volume pot to activate SC mode and DC mode. The '89 is comparable to the '85 in terms of output and whatnot.. but I would suggest some high output passives...
Atleast for the bridge..
Quote by SamZee
EMG's are simply not made for cleans. They are just plain bad for clean playing... the '89 gives you the option of single coil mode, which I believe comes with a new push-pull volume pot to activate SC mode and DC mode. The '89 is comparable to the '85 in terms of output and whatnot.. but I would suggest some high output passives...
Atleast for the bridge..

Technically, the EMG 89 is a dual-mode pickup, not a splittable humbucker. The housing contains two pickups, in a stacked configuration - an EMG 85 and an EMG S.

I've said this a million times, and I will continue to do so:

Before you judge active EMG pickups, try the 18V mod. It gives significantly more headroom, and a more organic character - the pickups won't break-up/distort until serious volumes, which makes distorted playing cleaner, and gives more clarity to clean passages. Also, it's my opinion that good clean performance is heavily dependent upon the amp, and can be obtained with ANY pickups.

Edit:

To TS:

I'd recommend an EMG 81 in the bridge, and an EMG 60 in the neck.

Active EMG pickups are grounded internally, and only have two connectors, so they can not be split, or run out of phase etc.

If you absolutely require those modes of operation, then I'd advise that you look into high-output passives, with four-conductor wiring. Something like a DiMarzio D-Activator, perhaps.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jul 28, 2008,
I don't need them to operate, I just would like actives so I can play metal when I want, how do they work with just a little distorion, just light distortion, cause I don't use the clean channel on my amp I just put the gain and level down, so there is just a little distortion. Like, just a hair, so? Thansk a million again in advance. And thanks about the idea of using 60 and the 81. And what about the 18 violt mod you talk about? Can you send me info on that, and what I need to do it, cause I may do that if it will keep them clean at a low.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Last edited by LesPaulCowboy at Jul 28, 2008,
if ur crate is ur only amp, get high output passives. EMGs were built to overdrive a tube amp, and as such, dont sound very good through SS amps.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Well I got good pickups for everything... but metal... and well metal isn't on the top of my list, but I can come up with it and jam it much quicker. Well what would be a good tube amp to get, then I will think about the EMG's. So I guess subject changes to amp for now, whats a good tube amp I could get for around 200 bucks??? I am open to sugestion, I want something with a decent sized speaker (So use to my crate 12 inch) I'd like marshall, but hey. I'll do some looking and throw them at you guys to help me decide.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
well, u wont get marshall for that much- all marshall tube amps go for more than $1000.....the best tube amp for $200 is the Peavey Valve king royal 8, but that only has a 8" speaker...tube amps are way more expensive than SS, but well worth the price..
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
tube amps are way more expensive than SS, but well worth the price..

not really

but if you were to get emg's get the 81/60 combo. Or look at Sd black outs. But i recommend you save for a better amp.
not really to what, the price comment or be well worth said price?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Anyone messed with one of those Epiphone Valve Junior amps? Cause for 150 bucks I could stand to buy it.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")