I have been playing acoustic guitar for about seven months now and I want to start playing electric guitar. I am willing to spend about $600 total for a guitar and amp. I play classic rock, blues, and rock. Any suggestions would be much appreciated..Thanks!
you are probably going to want a guitar and a amp, so for a guitar I suggest either a fender strat made in mexico, or a epiphone, or if you want and I don't suggest this you can buy a higher leval guitar like a cheap gibson or a PRS SE and get a small amp now and then get a big amp very soon. Your best bet is to probably try a high end fender and gibson, and see what you like more so you know what you are aiming to play, then buy the cheap end of that either the MIM fender or the epiphone, then buy a amp such as a Peavey, Marshall, or Fender.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Last edited by jking948 at Jul 28, 2008,
Try a few guitar out at your local guitar shop, see what you like. For those style I'd recommend a Strat, Les Paul or PRS
Have a look on www.rondomusic.com, they do some cheap but great quality guitars and I'd seriously recommend one from there
As for an amp, the best cheap amp would be a Roland Cube, but look to upgrade that soon (Peavey CLassic 30 would be an ideal upgrade)
ohai little sig.
fender does make some nice, cheap guitars. look at spending 5 or 600 on the guitar, and getting a crappy combo amp temporarily.
you could get a little practice amp for under $50, used. a hundred is more than enough to get a decent new one.
i might also reccomend getting a little multi effects, like the digitech things. they're really crappy, but you'll be able to try different effects, so you get used to playing with them. after all, that can be one of the coolest parts about playing with an electric.
if hes a starter then why not get a yamaha pacifica, the new ones with the coil tap, they're very underrated here in EG, and very good for the price, then the leftover you can spend on a good amp. Because of course the amp is much more important.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Try save a little more and this would be perfect.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Black-Diamond-Plate-Custom-Classic-30-Tube-Amp_W0QQitemZ170242786020QQihZ007QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Pacifica-electric-6-steing-Guitar_W0QQitemZ180268584997QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33049QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Remember, spend more on the amp, you might not appreciate it now, but that amp would last you for a very long time and youll deffinately appreciate it when the tone-freak syndrome kicks in, which i garuntee will happen in a few years if you stick to it.

Alternatively

http://www.music123.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30w-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481959-i1145735.Music123

or

http://www.music123.com/Roland-Cube-30X-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-487032-i1169244.Music123

+1 of these

http://www.music123.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-510443-i1146362.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Squier-by-Fender-Classic-Vibe-Telecaster-50-s-Electric-Guitar-519376-i1400994.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Vintage-G-400-Electric-Guitar-518669-i1150101.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar-512492-i1147796.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Schecter-Omen-6-Electric-Guitar-518181-i1149925.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Dean-Vendetta-1-Electric-Guitar-512914-i1147926.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Squier-by-Fender-Jagmaster-Electric-Guitar-519635-i1150688.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-JTK2-Electric-Guitar-519731-i1173435.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Dean-EVO-Noir-Guitar-519844-i1150757.Music123

Thats pretty much of all UG reccomendations summed up into one.
Yeah I would have to disagree with my past post and say that if your spending more money on either then it should be the amp, people give the actual guitar to much credit. I guarantee if you put a Gibson LP Custom on a $50 practice amp it sounds like crap, where if it is on even a decent amp it rocks out!
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Peavey Windsor Studio Combo $399
That with a used Epiphone SG/Les Paul and you'll be set for a good while.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Peavey Windsor Studio Combo $399
That with a used Epiphone SG/Les Paul and you'll be set for a good while.

That gets absoloutely appalling reviews from UG and everywhere.
Quote by beckyjc
That gets absoloutely appalling reviews from UG and everywhere.

Really? I didn't think it was too bad myself, though I guess the sound you get for the price does leave a little to be desired I spose.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
if your gonna spend $400 on a peavey do what I did. Wait untill sail season then go into the guitar store and ask to see there used amps. You will find a good one for around $450 (thats what mine was), and you can even bargain too. I love my amp and it is used I would take it over a marshall of its size.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by this&that
if hes a starter then why not get a yamaha pacifica, the new ones with the coil tap, they're very underrated here in EG, and very good for the price, then the leftover you can spend on a good amp. Because of course the amp is much more important.

agreed.

normally people advise beginners to go with a modeller, and while i generally agree, with your slightly-higher-than-normal-for-a-starter-rig (phew!) budget, if the rock you play doesn't get too heavy/modern-sounding, something like a peavey classic 30 combined with a yamaha pacifica 112v would be a great rig for the stuff you want to play. you could probably afford that with your current budget if you go second-hand for the amp; you'd need about another $200, i think, to get that new.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Really? I didn't think it was too bad myself, though I guess the sound you get for the price does leave a little to be desired I spose.

Ive never tried it, was tempted to, but from all the **** it gets around here I thought it wouldnt be worth the time tbh, I think tbh it just sounds too good to be true.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch

so it's out now, is it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For classic rock I would look into a Fender Made in Mexico Stratocaster or Telecaster and a Vox Valvetronix amp (great classic amp models!).
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
yeah, if you can't stretch to the classic 30, a vox valvetronix is probably a good bet (the normal version, not the XL version).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
so it's out now, is it?

I dunno, a guitar shop near me had one in not long ago, I'm not sure if it was for sale or was just there to try out though as there wasn't a price tag on it.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000natspaltedthin.html

and

http://www.jr.com/roland/pe/ROL_CUBE30X/

Although everyone says its more important to spend money on the amp than on the guitar, the difference between a great 200 dollar amp and a 500 dollar amp, are nearly invisible. The difference between a great 200 dollar guitar and a 500 dollar guitar are huge. The Roland cube is really really good sounding, and the agile is one of the best guitars money can buy, when anything you may not like about it is upgradeable. Woodwise though, is up there with the best.
Quote by nyandres

and

Although everyone says its more important to spend money on the amp than on the guitar, the difference between a great 200 dollar amp and a 500 dollar amp, are nearly invisible. The difference between a great 200 dollar guitar and a 500 dollar guitar are huge. The Roland cube is really really good sounding, and the agile is one of the best guitars money can buy, when anything you may not like about it is upgradeable. Woodwise though, is up there with the best.

Are you insane, the $300 difference is the difference between a entry level SS practice moddeler and a full blown pseudo-pro valve amp, if you dont notice the difference you frankly shouldnt be giving out advice.
Quote by beckyjc
Are you insane, the $300 difference is the difference between a entry level SS practice moddeler and a full blown pseudo-pro valve amp, if you dont notice the difference you frankly shouldnt be giving out advice.

I have yet to hear a decent 500 dollar amp. I can tell a lot tone wise. I use a JCM 800, and it will destroy with heavenly tone. At 500 however, the amps are almost as bad as the 200 amps. At that price range a guitar will make more difference. I did an experiment last time, made a thread about it. In the low end of things there is more value in guitars, as long as the amps is at least as good as the cube. The cheap tube amps are muddy as hell in the cleans. I have had some of the most recommended cheap tube amps in here. They were horrid. Except for two 5 watters that were nice for blues. The big difference starts at about 700 in amps. And all modelers are entry level, yet they sound quite decent for the price. Compared to a the amps in most starter kits the roland cube destroys them.
Never had a go personally but the PV Classic isnt well known for being on the same standard as the cube. Same with the new crates.

And i now for certain the BJ is no where near on par with the Cube.

In fact the cubes quite sterile and flat compared to the Vox Valvetronix. IMO.

My amp is around the $600 mark (Well not in the US, in the UK), sounds absoloutely beautifull clean, not muddy at all, granted it lacks in the drive department, but I have pedals for that. I wouldnt dream of dropping it for a roland cube. You can wave your fancy ass marshall stack all you want , but i spent alot of time finding a good tone that suits me on a budget, and the cube was no where near the top of my list and I wouldnt call it anywhere close tonally.
Quote by nyandres
I have yet to hear a decent 500 dollar amp. I can tell a lot tone wise. I use a JCM 800, and it will destroy with heavenly tone. At 500 however, the amps are almost as bad as the 200 amps. At that price range a guitar will make more difference. I did an experiment last time, made a thread about it. In the low end of things there is more value in guitars, as long as the amps is at least as good as the cube. The cheap tube amps are muddy as hell in the cleans. I have had some of the most recommended cheap tube amps in here. They were horrid. Except for two 5 watters that were nice for blues. The big difference starts at about 700 in amps. And all modelers are entry level, yet they sound quite decent for the price. Compared to a the amps in most starter kits the roland cube destroys them.

What?! So your saying a cube is as good as a Classic 30. Not all modeler amps are entry level. What about the Jazz Chorus, Cyber Twin SE, and the Line 6 Vetta.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by nyandres

and

You just ****ing blew my mind. Really though, I dont know what you are thinking, the sounds comes out of the AMP, you can have the best guitar in the world, but if your amp is cheap and crap, then you fail.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by beckyjc
Never had a go personally but the PV Classic isnt well known for being on the same standard as the cube. Same with the new crates.

And i now for certain the BJ is no where near on par with the Cube.

In fact the cubes quite sterile and flat compared to the Vox Valvetronix. IMO.

My amp is around the $600 mark (Well not in the US, in the UK), sounds absoloutely beautifull clean, not muddy at all, granted it lacks in the drive department, but I have pedals for that. I wouldnt dream of dropping it for a roland cube. You can wave your fancy ass marshall stack all you want , but i spent alot of time finding a good tone that suits me on a budget, and the cube was no where near the top of my list and I wouldnt call it anywhere close tonally.

I did not say the cube sounds better than the 500 dollar amps. I just said that under 500, the difference between a cube, and this amps under 500 is very slight. With a 500 dollar amp, you wont have something for a lifetime. With a 500 dollar guitar you can get a guitar that will compete with the big boys as you upgrade it throughout time. I mentioned the agile for example. Which is known to compare to the much more expensive gibson. And a cube sounds decent for practice, while a 200 dollar guitar sounds fuzzy as hell. Now if the range was 1000 to 2000 I would say an amp is more important. And I will brag about the JCM 800 for it is tone heaven for me.
Quote by bBreaker
What?! So your saying a cube is as good as a Classic 30. Not all modeler amps are entry level. What about the Jazz Chorus, Cyber Twin SE, and the Line 6 Vetta.

The Jazz Chorus is not a modeller amp, in fact it is the amp other amps want to model. I love that amp. I dont really like the vetta, but I do love the Cyber Twin. The vetta is good, so you got a point, and the Cyber Twin, is one of my favorite amps. But it still does not change the fact that if he gets a guitar like an agile Al300 he will keep it forever, and maybe upgrade it as time progresses. A 500 dollar amp, on the other hand is not upgradeable and it wont be tonally great. It will still sound like a practice amp. Especially if its tube, and at gigging levels. They are not clean enough.
Quote by nyandres
I did not say the cube sounds better than the 500 dollar amps. I just said that under 500, the difference between a cube, and this amps under 500 is very slight. With a 500 dollar amp, you wont have something for a lifetime. With a 500 dollar guitar you can get a guitar that will compete with the big boys as you upgrade it throughout time. I mentioned the agile for example. Which is known to compare to the much more expensive gibson. And a cube sounds decent for practice, while a 200 dollar guitar sounds fuzzy as hell. Now if the range was 1000 to 2000 I would say an amp is more important. And I will brag about the JCM 800 for it is tone heaven for me.

Head up ass syndrome.

It does sound marginally better, and obviously youre about the only person who disagrees since when anyones able to get a decent valve amp in their budget nobody else decides to recomend a roland cube over one without a better reason other than "cheep t00b amps r gay". Granted there are some pretty bad sounding amps in the price range, and just because its valve doesnt make it great, but i very much doubt youve played every amp in the price range and then considered what amps are available used.

As for stuff lasting a life time, I would not ever expect one aspect of my rig to satisfy me untill my death bed, therell always be something new on my GAS list, something better I want, it's just part of being a musician., my VC has satisfied me alot longer than any modeler couldve, and it still will, and im yet to even do any mods or change the stock speaker or valves. $500 on a guitar, what is that an MIM Std Strat, an Epi LP Standard, honestly, i'd much much rather have a good amp.

Describe fuzzy as hell, ive played lots of budget guitars some superb, others not so, I fell in love with the squier '51 a long time ago, also as i've said many times I a/bed a Squier Afifinity Tele to the newer Mexican standards, and prefered the squier just for the neck and because the difference tonally was absoloutely nothing to justify the price difference, I've reccomended my best friend to get a Yamaha pacifica over a squier, her friends told her it felt and sounded much better than there starter pack squier strats, and frankly I agree. Its a great guitar for the money.

/rant
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
I dunno, a guitar shop near me had one in not long ago, I'm not sure if it was for sale or was just there to try out though as there wasn't a price tag on it.

thanks.

Quote by beckyjc
I thought itd been out for a long time now.Its in stock and ready to ship on most sites.

yeah. there aren't many dealers here though, one peavey dealer i was in didn't seem to have it (but i didn't ask them about it).

i kind of know what nyandres is saying. certainly, for most beginners, a good modeller combined with the best guitar they can afford (assuming a smallish budget, of course), is probably the way to go. but in this case, with a healthier-than-normal budget, and blues, classic rock, and rock tones required, if you ask me a classic 30 would be a better choice. especially over a cube, a cube is more aimed at metal, i thought.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok thanks so when I go to Guitar Center and I try out some guitars and amps what should I be doing? Because I am used to acoustic only right now
Quote by SkaJon
For classic rock I would look into a Fender Made in Mexico Stratocaster or Telecaster and a Vox Valvetronix amp (great classic amp models!).

i wouldn't recommend any lower end vox stuff. working at guitar center, i saw a disproportionate number of display models just stop working all together. we got a mountain of returns on them for the same reason. i just see reliability issues going on.
and it wasn't just one or two. i saw more than ten of them go out on us, while we lost at MOST one amp from any other manufacturer.
so i can't recommend a low end vox to anyone.
Quote by KDReed12
Ok thanks so when I go to Guitar Center and I try out some guitars and amps what should I be doing? Because I am used to acoustic only right now

i'd say check out some mexi strats, maybe even a couple teles, maybe some epiphones (don't bother with the bolt on ones, they're crap), and hell, even a yamaha pacifica.

ampwise, classic 30 could be nice (though i think they cost a little too much for the quality of tone). a blues jr, princeton, or any other fender that fits your price range, a roland cube (they're not bad, but they don't sound close to as good as any fender tube amp), maybe a peavey delta blues if they've got one.
stay away from the cheap marshall stuff. you don't get into tubes with them until you drop a LOT of money. and, like i said, stay away from vox unless you like broken amps.
Vox AD15VT + Epiphone G400 or Epiphone Les Paul maybe? Good combo for your styles. Or if you can stretch your budget, maybe get a Vox AD15VT + Fender MIM Strat or Tele.
Because you like blues,rock i recomend you Fender Products...
For amp, check this out :
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075

Fender Super Champ XD, tube amp with effects

For guitar a nice fender stratocaster
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037

And choose the color and the wood of your fretboard....

Or an Epiphone Les Paul Custom or Standard..

good luck!
But i prefer fender!!