Poll: Can I have a firm grip on the pick without damaging my playing long-term?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can I have a firm grip on the pick without damaging my playing long-term?
Yes.
6 55%
No, stop holding the pick so firmly.
5 45%
Voters: 11.
Well, I noticed that, while I was playing today I was holding the pick with a much firmer grip than I usually do. This, of course, was makeing me tense up. After fighting the tensing for a while, I got most of it out of the way. My picking hand, however, refused to loosen the grip on the pick. This seems to make me more accurate.

Could this hurt me in the long run in a way that anchoring hurts a lot of people?
eh, I pick really hard (omg metalz)
its going to fall out of my hand otherwise

depends on what I'm doing really
as theres really a lot of dynamics and timbre and everything you can get out of the pick
i use a really stuff pick and i don't tense my grip until my hand starts getting sweaty. do this, without playing your guitar just hold your pick in your hand and thump it, your grip should be just strong enough to hold onto the pick. also make sure just the tip is sticking out, you dont need a whole lot of pick sticking out. the less of the tip you have sticking out the less force will be required to hold it.
sometimes when i improvise i get really aggressive and hold the pick tight and then i realize what i'm doing so i loosen it up but then i loose the feeling of the solo