i have a tuner tool on my amp for my bass, and was wondering, is there a way to use this to quickly tune my guitar into drop d? ive been teaching myself bass from books and the internet, but i cant find a place that will help me out here. the way the tuner works is you set the knob to whichever string your tuning, play that note, and itll tell you if its sharp or flat, and then once thats correct, you flip the knob and move onto the next string. is there some way i could hold down a fret and play and tune the string until the green light matches up? thanks for your help

UPDATE: the hold down the 2nd fret and make the light go green seemed to work the best for me, but know i need to know can i do something simillar for tuning 1/2 step down?
Last edited by homestarrunner1 at Aug 2, 2008,
Play the 2nd fret on your E string and detune until it's an E, not an F#
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Play the 2nd fret on your E string and detune until it's an E, not an F#

so hold down the 2 and just tune like i usually do? and do i only do this for the e string or the other ones too?
Drop D is tuned DADG, so yes, you only have to detune that one string.

Alternatively, you can detune until the 7th fret on the E string is the same as the open A, or the 12 fret is the same as the D string.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Drop D is tuned DADG, so yes, you only have to detune that one string.

Alternatively, you can detune until the 7th fret on the E string is the same as the open A, or the 12 fret is the same as the D string.

...or the 17th matches with the G...

...if you dare.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
flip your knob to the position you would normally tune your D and just tune the string open D.
He would be logic, if he actually thought about why they're talking about tuning to the specific octave. Some amps don't read like that.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by KKING911
He would be logic, if he actually thought about why they're talking about tuning to the specific octave. Some amps don't read like that.

You're right. If there's a knob to choose the specific string to tune, it's going to be trying to tune you to a certain octave.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
u can still tune in a different octave. Have u heard of sympathetic harmonics.
Quote by maroon5mustdie

I, myself, choose not to have sex. My parents probably did, so therefore it is uncool. Maybe next you can start wearing sweater-vests. Fag.
Quote by dawson_monkey
u can still tune in a different octave. Have u heard of sympathetic harmonics.

Yes, but some tuners don't like the fact that you're an octave below, and so try to make you tune up.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

To get over the octave problem, hold down the 12th fret on the E string and tune it until it is exactly the same as your D string (this way you can use the D setting on your tuner).
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Surely you can just play the open D, and then detune the E until you get that nice resonance which tells you it's in tune.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Can't belive someone havent suggested it already. Get a chromatic tuner!!
You know what? we should kill this thread. Nutter pretty much solved it in the 1st reply.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?