--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this question has been asked a lot, but we're complete noobs. We're a band with a little budget hailing from ghetto houston, texas. We want to record our music and we're looking for the cheapest thing avaliable with decent quality. We're looking for something that is able to record drums (atleast six mics at a time per track) that connects straight into the computer. So in other words, we want to record drums straight into the *beep this is where your suggestion comes in* and then into the computer. and yeah, our budget is really, in all honesty, less than five hundred dollars if possible. I would go to guitar center and ask but they might sell me the whole store. but yeah, thanks!!

I have heard suggestions, would just an 8 channel interface work? or a 8 channnel mixer work? im confused. well, we'll have open ears, let us know!

dyslxiccrown -our link name for myspace.
^our band

If it all possible, we will like to meet the song quality (as shown on the myspace) as a standard.

thank you!
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT-main.html

includes 2 mic preamps plus 6 more analog line ins.

This mixer will give you the other four XLR inputs with preamps. Use the insert points from the mixer to go into your sound card. This is a steal of a deal for a mixer of that quality. Soundcraft is one of the best-respected brands out there at the consumer level.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Compact10/

Total = $500.

Now, you DO have mics and cables and stands, right?

@burn the stars - that is true to a point. If you have the right mics and know where to put them (and more to the point how and how NOT to place them), and you know how to mix, there is a reason that most rock albums use at least 8 tracks on the drums.

It really depends on the sound you're going for. If you want the drums in your face, the mics have to be in the drums' face. Kick, snare, and a couple of overheads will not let the toms pound through your mix because the mic isn't 'in their faces.' For a nice roomy jazz kit sound or something.... too many mics is a mess. You want a nice 'roomy' sound, so you take the mics and mic the room, not the kit - in other words... not too close to the kit.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by aurian4parker

If it all possible, we will like to meet the song quality (as shown on the myspace) as a standard.

Be sure to realize that the quality of your recording depends a LOT on how well you know how to use your equipment too, along with what kinds of mics you have, where you put them, etc. (there's that knowledge thing again) And then on how to mix, and what kind of monitors you are mixing with, and then whether the person who masters it knows what they are doing, etc.

Having the gear is only about 40% of the equation.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Id say go with a computer and PreSonus FP10. you may only need 6 inputs however the two extra are very nice to have.

MTRs are good in some cases but the BR600 dont have enough inputs for recording a live band... You would need a 24 tracker for that...
Quote by moody07747
Id say go with ...PreSonus FP10.

Funny.... I just assumed that unit was well over the $500 budget. Good deal!

CT