ALRIGHT so i was wandering around my room yesterday and noticed my gameboy, with pokemon yellow currently occupying the cartridge slot. it also just so happened that i was about to go on a drive to toronto so i figured i'd bring it with me and give her a go.
i am no pokemon noob, well at least i didn't used to be. in my time (ten years ago) i had beaten the game hundreds of time, and on my pokemon red i have 152/151 pokemon. anyways my question right now regards to team building. when i used to play (when i was eight years old) i would just choose the pokemon that were 'cool' (aka in the tv show). but now i'm just outside of vermilion city and i know this is about time that i have to choose the pokemon that i'll go all the way with; but i just can't make up my mind.
currently i have a:
pikachu level 23
charmnder level 13
nidorino level 17
butterfree level 16
mankey level 16
and pidgey level 16

in my box i have all the pokemon that have appeared so far (jigglypuff, sandshrew, etc.)
but my question is this: i just got that bulbasaur and i want to incorporate it into my team, but i'm not sure what to get rid of. i like butterfree because he has sleep but i remember not finding him very useful later in the game. and i want to avoid mewtwo cause i find using him makes him a crutch for your team..so what do i do? is there a 'best team combination' and who should i go about getting, and getting rid of? i've also heard pikachu isn't very useful either, so do i chuck him and get zapdos? or jolteon? what do i do with evee and the legendary birds? are dragonites useful? what should i do for a flying pokemon, do i go with pidgeotto, or a legendary bird, or a dragonite or other half flying type?
this is what i was thinking for my prospective team
venusaur
blastoise
charizard
dragonite
alakazam
pikachu
what do you think...i need some help from a pokemon master.

also i don't think this goes in the gaming thread it's just a general pokemon information thread, but if i'm wrong...please move it for me?
I beat that game with just Pikachu. That's how raw I was at Pokemon. Now on my Red version I have a level 255 Blastoise.
ONLY Pokemon Thread
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤