Page 1 of 2
The long awaited BOTM on Orlando’s 8-String Fretless Bass.

Story by: Orlando
Illustrations: Orlando
Design and Concept: Frank Gary
Original Idea: Orlando

Now there once was a boy, who wanted a bass that could do it all. Awesome sound, doubled strings, amazing slides, and gut wrenching lows. After searching and searching he found that no such bass yet existed, so he decided to build one. He knew he could not take this all on by himself so he gathered a fellowship (if you will), The Fellowship of the Bass.

Dad – Master Woodworker
Brother – Master Electronics
Boy – Master designer and project finance.

They slaved for two long years, but the fruit of their labor was this!

The Bass that restored balance to the Force! I mean, destroyed the ring, or… something.

Anywho, body is made outta Purpleheart as seen in these old pictures…

The Bridge is from www.Warmoth.com:
The pickups is a 6-string pickup from EMG, it is actually two pickups inside one soapbar case, a single coil, and a humbucker operated of a push-pull switch.

We did all the electronics through the back so there is no ugly pickguard to distract from the natural beauty of the wood:

And it has a heavy duty trussrod that we obtained from www.Stewmac.com along with the tuners and string retainers:

The nut in that image was also obtained from stewmac.

Now as I have already said, the body is one piece of Solid Purpleheart, cut in two then glued together, the neck on the other hand is a piece of Purpleheart, along with 4 slats of maple all glued together.
And is held in with 6 ferrules on the backside of the body (Dur!):

Now this being a Fretless bass, I needed some help on the fretting end of it, which you will see my wonderful fretting system involving white-out right here:

And here is the complete Backside of my bass, I guess you can use this to admire the Oil finish on it.

And here’s a picture of it with its original neck that we found out was to thin:

The Purpleheart did a miraculous job of boosting my lows, and the mids are also boosted through that deal. This entire bass was created by us, including the neck, and nut. I do not advise doing the nut by yourself though, and this brings us to the downside of our fellowship, in any journey there are casualties, and in this one that casualty is position number 1, and 2.

Because we had to carve the nut ourselves, the quality of it is not that of professionals, like the rest of the bass. And because the nut sets so high at 1st, and 2nd, positions, I cannot play them very well. And also since the bridge is set so I can attempt position 2 with about a 60% success, I loose my E strings after 12th, and my A’s after about 15, and D’s about 17th, yet my G’s can go all the way to 24 with no real problems.

There you can see how High it sets up, and in the recording Labeled problems, you’ll hear the blahness of it.

Other than those playing problems the bass turned out pretty much as planed, the headstock was a jumble, but everything ended up working out fine on it. Recordings should be up on my page in about an hour or so, if not they’ll be up tomorrow.

And that my children is the story of The Fellowship of the Bass.
Thankyou for your time.
But, *sniffs* but it's still my time

Nice bass though.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Nice!
That Purpleheart wood looks amazing, shame about the nut problem though!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
and then the fellowship realised that after those two years of hard work! you can buy a rogue 8 string for $200 dollars!
not an 8 string fan, but I wouldn't mind playing this one. it looks very nice. bet its nice and heavy too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
*checks calendar*

Aw just kidding Orlando. I can see why you were excited to post this up. Very nice job and I'll have to listen to the clips once I get home and or you get them posted up on your profile.

Purpleheart is really a beautiful wood for basses--and yours is proof.
Great job, I love home-made basses. There's nothing more impressive than something built entirely by hand, especially something as uncommon as an 8 string fretless. Shame about the nut, but it can be replaced or fixed relatively easily. You seemed to have done the most difficult things well, so that's what matters. Plus, purpleheart is damn sexy
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
excellent first build. i like the sound of 8 (doubled) strings. the bass looks great, although the head design creates some odd angles, and string trees will effect the sustain. i would also re-do the nut, moving the strings closer to the fingerboard. having said that, you have my respect for seeing a difficult project through, to completion. i am envious of your combined talents.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Jul 28, 2008,
Very nice bass. The wood looks stunning. Though, I'm guessing it's quite heavy?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Besides the white-out and the bad range, you should be very proud of your work.
Very nice work and very sexy bass

Cheers!
You stole my Overture
that looks really really awsum

its a real pity about the nut

by the way how much did it end up costing?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Oh, I forgot to tell you about the wonderful weight! As most of you know, Purpleheart is one of the most dense woods out there, so with the and all the added hardware and neck it comes in at a light 20lbs.

A bunch of my reciets were accidently thrown away, so the most accurate estimate I can give is maybe $600? Give or take $100, but it was well worth it. The nut problem really hasn't dappened me too much yet, we were going to have a proffessional do the nut, but he chickened out, he thought the neck wouldn't hold all the tension, and he didn't think the G string was going to fit on the neck.

So we ended up taking some of my old strings and running them across the nut to erode it away and end up with the same size gauge. That was not fun...
Is that a single or a double acting truss-rod?

Because you might get problems with the fact that you've only got one trussrod in there.

How's the neck sitting?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Double acting, it's super duty, it was original designed for 12-string guitars I think, but then was adopted for 6-string basses, and other heavy duty jobs.

Plus it's sitting in a strip of Purpleheart. Which brings up an intresting story, when we were cutting that strip in the neck, our tablesaw blade actually got stuck in the wood.

Now, I'm thinking something that can stop 3,000 rpm's of a blade made to cut through wood like Narco through butter, can help support a couple hundred pounds of pressure. At least that was my dad and I's thinking.
Ah, that's cool. I've got a strip of Purpleheart in my bass build. Damn, it's more purple than I thought .

Got stuck? Ouch. Hopefully mine won't have that problem. Would be amusing if it did though .

Anyway, it's a nice build. Hope mine turns out as well as yours did. What did you finish the body in?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Tru Oil, good stuff, I used it to re-finish the fingerboards on my other two basses, stuff is really nice, but for my fretless I have to re-finish the neck after a major gig, unfortunately I haven't had a major gig yet with it.

The fingerboard is Ebony, forgot to mention that, and I'm getting ready to upload a couple of rushed sound clips.
Oh sweet jesus. Gorgeous bass, great job.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Good stuff, man. I have to ask, though - how's the intonation on both strings? I could imagine you have to play very, very carefully to get the string and it's octave to sound the same exact note.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^That's what I thought, but no! It's actually just like playing a regular 8-string, as long as you don't bend them, they sound perfect. Now playing power chords on the other hand where you bar them with one finger, that's pretty hard.
SORT OF WANT

Purpleheart = yay!!!!
Crappy nut = No!!!!
8 strings = Ehhhhh!!!!
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
SORT OF WANT

Purpleheart = yay!!!!
Crappy nut = No!!!!
8 strings = Ehhhhh!!!!

What the eff?
You stole my Overture
Quote by FbSa
Oh, I forgot to tell you about the wonderful weight! As most of you know, Purpleheart is one of the most dense woods out there, so with the and all the added hardware and neck it comes in at a light 20lbs.

wow... I gotta play this thing, with a good thick strap that'll be amazing.

heavy basses! yay!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb408fretless.html

A decent 8 string fretless bass, at a good price.

Check it out. On that bass, you can get low action, a decently cut nut and the strings stay on the fretboard! On your bass, you don't get any of that. Sorry, but I think your bass is horrible.
Originally posted by Fendon
your freakin ugly bud

do you have cancer?
To me, the idea of a Double Strung bass is absolutely rediculous, but alas, a good quality bass this looks to be.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by herrly

Check it out. On that bass, you can get low action, a decently cut nut and the strings stay on the fretboard! On your bass, you don't get any of that. Sorry, but I think your bass is horrible.

My strings stay on my bass just fine...?
But everyone's entitled to their opinion. Even if it's wrong tehe!
Quote by herrly

This is a homemade bass, not a pro made one. It obviously not going to be amazing.

Sorry, But i think your comment was a bit jerk-ish
You stole my Overture
Oh, I intended it to come off as jerkish.
your freakin ugly bud

do you have cancer?
Quote by herrly
Oh, I intended it to come off as jerkish.

well you succeeded.
now shut up.
if you did that to me in person, or to a friend of mine, you would have been slapped. that was rude, and you know, some people want to make stuff. let them.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Haha, I love when people talk about what they would do in person...

Now that I've taken a second look at the bass I think he could make an excellent employee over at this "luthier's" shop.

http://wishbass.com/gallery.html
your freakin ugly bud

do you have cancer?
you do realize he's a mod, right?

you gonna get banned...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Page 1 of 2