im learning the song soul to squeeze and i noticed they do some chords that use the thumb i think they are called split chords not sure

heres the link of the tab http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/r/red_hot_chili_peppers/soul_to_squeeze_ver2_guitar_pro.htm

anyways how do you go about doing them how do you position the thumb on the neck
im trying to do them but they feel so akward i dont know how much of the thumb is supposed to be sticking out

any advice is appreciated or a recommendation of beginner thumb chords be great
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Play the chords with your hand higher up on the neck, so that your thumb can hook around and reach the fifth and/or sixth string. It will feel weird for the first few times, but afterwards you'll get used to them. It's good to get into these types of chords though, becase they are a great tool to have in your chord position knowledge. Hendrix used thumb chords quite often as well.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Yeah, they feel awkward at first, you have to get used to them.

I don't know what the chord was on the song, but say there was this chord:

x

I would play it by Barring the first fret with my first finger (I barre at least four of the strings normally, rather than just the two, as if find it comfier). I would then hold the sixth fret on the G and D strings down with my second and third finger. I would then rap my thumb around the top so it holds the 5th fret of the E string down, and mutes the A string. You could also use your little finger to mute the A string.

When you play Barre chords normally, you use your thumb to push against the back, making a 'clamp'. Well, it's exactly the same here, try to get a good grip at the top of the fretboard with your thumb, so you can use it as a 'clamp' against your fingers.

I hope that helped. You really do just have to practice them though.
thanks for advice guys i just have one more question

do you have any chord progression that sounds good with this type of chords im trying to use them on chords but they sound weird with all the ones i tried
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash